Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Air filters for AirSense 10 - will most of them on Amazon, etc. work?
Air filters for AirSense 10 - will most of them on Amazon, etc. work?
I'm looking around on [Commercial Link Removed]  See Amazon for air filters for our AirSense 10 machines; looks like there are many choices.  What are other's experiences with the various Amazon seller's filters?  Are most of the filters just fine?  Any recommendations?  Any words of warning?  We don't need the super-duper allergy type of filters, just regular ones will do.  Thanks!

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Air filters for AirSense 10 - will most of them on Amazon, etc. work?
I haven't had any problems or complaints with any filter I've received. I have always gone for the cheapest per unit price.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I reuse mine. They are quite durable and reusable. Most DME suppliers won't tell you that. My respiratory therapist did though. 

Mine are sent to me automatically by my DME supplier. I have plenty on hand, but I'm still using the one original to my machine, which will be one year old in early September. 

All it takes is a little tap water, a drop of liquid soap, and a quick finger massage. A paper towel will dry them almost instantly. Don't wad them up or twist them when cleaning. Lay them flat on a paper towel and pat dry. 

I know they're cheap to replace, but no need to if you don't have to. They come out clean as can be when washed properly.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-25-2019, 06:16 PM)Big Guy Wrote: I reuse mine. They are quite durable and reusable. Most DME suppliers won't tell you that. My respiratory therapist did though. 

Mine are sent to me automatically by my DME supplier. I have plenty on hand, but I'm still using the one original to my machine, which will be one year old in early September. 

All it takes is a little tap water, a drop of liquid soap, and a quick finger massage. A paper towel will dry them almost instantly. Don't wad them up or twist them when cleaning. Lay them flat on a paper towel and pat dry. 

I know they're cheap to replace, but no need to if you don't have to. They come out clean as can be when washed properly.

Just because they're no longer dark color doesn't mean they're 'clean'.
Post Reply Post Reply
The filter that you reference is a protect the machine filter, prevent the 'large' chunks from getting in. Almost all the microbial life in the air of your home gets thru.

By the same token, are the clothes you wear 'clean'?
Post Reply Post Reply
A lot of people state that the filter is there to protect the machine, not the user. This statement is often repeated on this and other forums. However, the hypoallergenic filter does decrease dust and other airborne contaminants.

From ResMed's site: Hypoallergenic: Efficiency: >98% for ~7-8 micron dust. >80% for ~0.5 micron dust. 

So, the hypoallergenic filter will filter mold, mold spores, some bacteria, dust mites, pollen, etc. Not every particle, as some things will be smaller and will pass through the filter. There are charts online showing different sizes of particles, but a lot of things will be filtered/reduced by the filter.

For someone with pets or allergies, the hypoallergenic filter would reduce the amount of irritants they would be breathing in while using the CPAP machine. 

So, to say the filter is only there to protect the motor is a false statement. For people with allergies, the hypoallergenic filter is most likely beneficial.
Post Reply Post Reply
Both a dirty filter and a hypoallergenic filter will filter more particles. This is filtering the air you breathe in your home. If the CPAP filter is making that much of a difference a whole home solution should be considered.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-26-2019, 07:51 AM)bonjour Wrote: Both a dirty filter and a hypoallergenic filter will filter more particles.  This is filtering the air you breathe in your home.  If the CPAP filter is making that much of a difference a whole home solution should be considered.

If you sleep with the windows open in your bedroom, a whole house filter will not help. If a pet sleeps in your bedroom, a whole house filter will not help. I get your point, but the hypoallergenic filter can still be helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm confused as to which filter this conversation is about.
Post Reply Post Reply
Knock on wood ... this is my first year with a CPAP ... but my allergies have been AMAZING this year. Sleeping with "filtered" air I believe has made a world of difference. June and September are typically my bad months. June/July went by REALLY good. September is creeping up but I am super hopeful.

I did order the hypoallergenic ones. For the allergy season I have been swapping them monthly (plus or minus). At the 2 week mark (plus or minus), I do turn them 180 degrees.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 6 76 10 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
  Resmed AS10 vs AS11. Are hoses/filters interchangable? plpauly 2 87 03-26-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 837 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 613 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Lowenstein Prisma 20A - how can I work out energy usage for camping? JamesD0079 4 623 02-15-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  Need Input on AirSense 10 vs AirSense 11 b4 Ordering New CPAP mdmarmd 13 2,183 01-14-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: scowell
  [Equipment] Cleaning filters bookwyrmtoo 2 396 12-20-2023, 09:45 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.