Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Air from Icon is too hot.
Air from Icon is too hot.
OK folk's I need your help.

I have been on my dad to start using his machine ever since it started to help me. He won't use it at the moment cause the air coming out gets too hot for him. It is an Icon Premo. I have been through every setting on the thing but can't seem to find a setting that will help. Well other than taking the humidity down to nothingSad Has any one had this issue and know how to fix it.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Air from Icon is too hot.
I hope other ICON owners can help, but my first thought was that if the air coming out of the tubing is actually hot, then something's wrong. I know "hot" vs. "warm" are very subjective terms, but the humidifier heater element should heat up the water enough to have it slowly evaporate into the air, but not enough to cause the air itself to be "hot". Slightly warm, perhaps, but not hot.

Might be something wrong with the machine. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Thinking-about
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
using cool water and turning off the heat for the humidifier should result in slighty cooler air than ambient, and a little bit of added humidity.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK I'll have him try that tonight and see how it goes.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2014, 10:25 PM)diamaunt Wrote: using cool water and turning off the heat for the humidifier should result in slighty cooler air than ambient, and a little bit of added humidity.

In the summer my some puts crushed ice and cold water in his humidifier tank , says its like sleeping with the windows open in the winter ( which he does ) talk about Rain out Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply
You may need to go into the clinician's menu to turn down the heat setting. The Icons (my wife uses one) have a humidity setting (sometimes called a humidity boost setting), range from 1-3 and a heat setting from 1-7(?). I know I have found my wife's set waaaay warm and humid as compared to what I like and I know hers is cranked right up. If it is the same for your dad, I can understand why he wouldn't like it.

I think we have the the clinician's manual available via the board....if not, drop me a PM and I'll see what I can do to help.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, thanks PsychoMike for pointing out about the Clinician Setup Manual. Coffee

I forgot to tell darkcat that in my post - we do have it. Oops

If you need the manual, simply scroll down to Section Three of this page and follow the directions to receive it via email:

http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

Smile
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
I run the humidifier on my VPAP Auto at its highest setting. I do not notice the air being hot while I am using it but this morning after I turned my machine off, de-masked, and disconnected the hose, I felt the air coming out of the humidifier and it felt somewhat hot. I guess that I do not notice it when using the machine because , at my 20 cm/H2O pressure setting and my mask vent, I get a lot of air coming through and it would not have the opportunity to heat up much. When the machine is turned off and goes into its "flush" cycle, the air flow is low and has more opportunity to heat up

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-08-2014, 10:03 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: I hope other ICON owners can help, but my first thought was that if the air coming out of the tubing is actually hot, then something's wrong. I know "hot" vs. "warm" are very subjective terms, but the humidifier heater element should heat up the water enough to have it slowly evaporate into the air, but not enough to cause the air itself to be "hot". Slightly warm, perhaps, but not hot.
Might be something wrong with the machine. Anyone else have thoughts on this?
My thoughts are that the heat is coming from the motor, because the humidifier heater doesn't get "hot". If the motor is overheating it is either working too hard, or not being sufficiently cooled. Perhaps there is lint or other caught in the fan or the air intake is restricted, or the machine is not in an open place where it can "breathe". If it's not getting sufficient cooling air, the motor will soon overheat & eventually burn out.Huh Another member has posted something about the motor lower bearing being rusted and without lubrication having had an ingress of water. That would do it.
[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply
According to F&P, decrease humidity setting if CPAP air feels too hot

Are you using "humidity boost setting"

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad F&P ICON auto is dead Letsgomom 19 14,315 01-09-2024, 10:46 PM
Last Post: capman911
  AirSense 11 moon icon instead of bars? LJAB 7 849 10-23-2023, 06:34 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Disassembly of F&P Icon Hanrahan 6 3,584 10-19-2023, 09:46 PM
Last Post: Thanya
  Need help with part identity F&P Icon Novo Vsidles 2 363 05-03-2023, 07:31 PM
Last Post: Vsidles
  [CPAP] What does this mean on my Fisher Paykel icon+ annoyed 1 615 11-01-2022, 12:01 PM
Last Post: Jeff8356
  [Equipment] F & P ICON removing re-inserting hose elbow gofinn 3 1,350 07-16-2020, 06:28 AM
Last Post: Ockrocket
  Icon Premo not recording data Veracityau 4 1,792 12-25-2019, 01:32 PM
Last Post: jonnycashsystem

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.