Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Air in mouth
Air in mouth
I normally  sleep on my side but when i have tried to sleep on my back my mouth fills full of air and my lips pouf it out. What causes this.?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Air in mouth
Same thing happens to me!  We lose our seal, with the tongue, to the roof of our mouth!
Post Reply Post Reply
Exactly!  What is happening to your cheeks is what happens to your airway and is why we use CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
Gotta do the tongue technique to keep your airway sealed.
Post Reply Post Reply
I get this to, I am a week in with treatment and simply trying not to do it (wake, shut mouth, change position). It's not happening enough for a full face mask (yet) but if this a big problem I understand that will certainly cure it. You could try a chin strap, anyone got experience of using one, or recommend one for comfort?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Tubster

Welcome to the forum. I am quite new myself being 2 months into my treatment.

I started with a FFM but graduated to nasal pillows which I much prefer. I have a soft cervical collar, bought online. This stops my chin from tucking into my chest as I fall asleep thereby causing OSAs. I do the tongue trick (tongue tip at the top teeth and keeping the tongue pressed against the roof of mouth) to keep my mouth shut as I used to be a mouth breather due to OSA and mouth breathing to compensate. I do not succeed in keeping my mouth shut all the time.

You can buy a chin strap from Resmed, perhaps online but definitely from the shop in London. I have not used the chin strap but am looking into it as with a firmer memory foam pillow. Due to the physical construction of my upper airway, I have to have the help of these aids.

Best of luck in your therapy.

AI
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 33 10 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 376 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 317 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,080 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 806 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,165 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.