Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Air in my stomach
RE: Air in my stomach
Gideon is on the same page I am. You don't have obstruction and can lower pressure. You may end up needing pressure support to feel a more "refreshing" charge of air during inhale, but lower pressure should relieve aerophagia and that is our first priority. I'm pretty certain we are going to find you tolerate much lower pressure without obstruction, and that is the point of this evaluation ahead of getting the Vauto. We want to find an effective minimum EPAP pressure. We will work with your bilevel pressure support to take care of your feeling of needing more air.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. What you folks do here means so much! Especially when folks haven’t got any other place to turn. 

9 it is see you all in the morning Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Bert, what mask are you using. I'm sure it was discussed but I missed it. Sometimes you can relieve the sense of "not enough air" by using a nasal pillows mask in large size. The Airfit P10 Large might be exactly what you need to feel the pressure more directly in a way that satisfies you need for better ventilation. A nasal mask often presses on the sinuses alongside the nose and restricts airflow, while a nasal pillows only contact point is at the bottom of the nares and applies air like a fire hose. The ultimate solution is bilevel pressure support during inspiration, but the mask might be worthy of consideration.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am using the mirage FX mask. I will look at the P10. Last night had some congestion prior to 23:30 thats when I took some spray. ( we have a big fire here and been sitting in smoke for weeks.) I did goof and set the machine to 9.5 instead of 9.  Once the congestion was gone the pressure felt like I was getting good air.  My wife woke about 04:30 and woke me by accident not long after. Thats when I noticed gas that was uncomfortable. It kept me from really relaxing and falling back into a deep sleep.  But it was not bad enough to wake me for once. It was also the longest stretch of sleep I have had in weeks. I would like a few more hours.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I don't remember you mentioning congestion before, but that explains why you felt like you weren't getting enough air. Has the acid reflux settled down?

Glad to see you getting almost 6 hours in, but there are many disruptions (about 6-7).
Are you actually stopping the machine, then restarting it?

If the 9.5 pressure is still causing you Aerophagia, then drop the pressure to 9. We need to find that sweet spot (pressure) that will eliminate this problem and still give you good therapy.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use Flonase (fluticasone propionate) routinely during allergy season and it helps to reduce nasal inflammation. Reduced pressure has not increased events, although there are some snores. The reduction in aerophagia is an important development, and one that we want to continue to work with to find the pressure threshold that "opens the gate". This is a problem that appears to have a solution, and it mostly involves lower pressure. As I said before, once you have the Vauto, we will blend in pressure support to hopefully relieve both aerophagia and improve you sense of easy ventilation. Where pressure support really shines is to relieve the flow limitation, snoring, RERA and even hypopnea, so I'm confident we will find a solution to the entire suite of problems affecting your sleep.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-11-2022, 10:32 AM)Old Bert Wrote: If I was to guess I’d say the acid reflux is settled down a little. my esophagus still feels kind of funky, and my nose is dry, and my eyes are a little dry.  I think I’m going to try going and seeing another ENT get a second opinion from a different organization. (just to make sure) I’m not sure if the acid reflex came first or the acid reflux was a product of the Aerophagia. 

yes I’m actually stopping the machine and restarting it, I think actually physically got up to do something during those times. As you could see it was six hours but it was not restful sleep but I’ll take what I can get. As we do seem to be making headway, and that’s a far cry from where I was a week ago.

I will knock it down to 9 unless you all suggest me to go even a little tiny bit lower. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I normally use Flonase as well, but I had stopped once the acid reflex and gotten bad enough that it was drying my mouth my nose and my eyes out. I never experienced quite like that. I didn’t want to dry anything else out more. Yeah I’m kind of surprised at the outcome has been so far to lowering the pressure. I look forward to getting the rest of this figured out.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have gone to pressure 10, and for now, air to my stomach is not happening. My machine was set to 20 for years.  I did not know I could change it till just over a week ago and no tech nor doctor ever asked me how my CPAP therapy was doing for 15 years.

Unlike the past when a couple of days taking Zantac would clear up my acid for while, no over the counter nor prescription acid reducing drug is working now.  I am eating way too many antacids.  Those only give a bit of relief for 15 minutes, but today I am trying some country medicine.

I woke at 2 am with a little acid but by 4am, here it was bad.  It is very painful, makes my throat raw and chaps my lips.  By 10 am I opened a bottle of apple cider vinegar, did a shot of it then about a quarter shot (need another right now) every 30 minutes or so.  The acid burn let up!  That is a local country, not doctor, prescription for heartburn.  Acid comes back, but a bit of vinegar down the hatch and it goes back down.  The theory is that the mild acid of vinegar may trick the body into not making so much stomach acid that is a much stronger acid.  Taking Tums etc. can tell the body to make more acid.  

Just maybe I'll balance out to get a break from this the longest bout with excess acid I've had over 50 years with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do wish this forum had a like button. Smile 

I am learning so much on this forum, one of the things I am learning is I am in a better place to monitor my own therapy than any DME or Doctors office. As I am taught more here I know there will become a point that I can monitor and adjust my machine to my needs day by day. I will also be able to speak confidently with my doctor.

I have had a ND doctor for over 30 years. In years past (when I was in my 30s) he gave me an acid for my heart burn.  It did help a bunch, I am thinking at this point that the acid reflux I am now having is from the air getting into my stomach. I could be wrong, but I am hoping as the air gets under control so will the reflux.

Good success with your reflux and your sleep therapy.

Bert
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stomach Sleeper Mask Options LikeaGlove90 13 1,274 12-08-2023, 10:01 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Leaks and mask displacement for side-to-stomach sleepers. Tape down nasal pillows? Bostonsnow 0 696 08-13-2023, 02:32 PM
Last Post: Bostonsnow
  AHI/Apnea worst when sleeping on stomach chris94546 2 619 07-29-2023, 10:15 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Lots of mask leak and severe bloating / stomach pain upon waking. What can I do? exchanged 6 823 05-02-2023, 07:38 PM
Last Post: cdplatt
  Does sleeping on your stomach prevent Apnea? WWu777 7 1,812 08-17-2022, 07:50 PM
Last Post: theredheadsaid
  Air pushed into stomach Jimboiii 1 619 07-03-2022, 11:14 AM
Last Post: Dog Slobber
  Severe stomach pain after changing CPAP settings Jacob130 1 703 04-05-2022, 08:58 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.