Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Air in stomach after using cpap
RE: Air in stomach after using cpap
So... I have tried to follow the advise on this thread, but still - almost every day - I get only 4,5 - 5 hours of sleep. Wake up due to aerophagia. 
Still here after so many months. Really hard to keep motivated now. Used to exercise 4-5 times a week. Now I am luck if I have the energy for just one session.

Anyway, I feel I have tried everything. Have even ordered a vauto from Resmed which is coming in a weeks time. My pressures are so low though, that I dont think that will help much :-)

Thought I'd post a graph here to see if there is anything to pick on from there - let me know if you have any input.

Sorry about the depressing post! Just feel I have tried everything possible to move on from this aerophagia, but nothing seems to help.

edit: Thought I would: My plan for the vauto is to raise in pressure and pull out pressure way down. This because I tested SO2 with a pulse watch, and it dipped below 90 every night. thought that perhaps a higher in level would help.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

To sleep perchance to dream - ay, there´s the rub!
Post Reply Post Reply
Censor, I'm sorry the problem persists. On another forum, a member posted about something that worked for him. I have zero reason to think this would work for you or anyone else, and in fact I'm skeptical by disposition, but I imagine you are eager to try what you can.

He used an over-the-counter pill containing turmeric curcumin and black pepper extract. Another member of that forum posted possible interactions to be aware of:

"If you are currently being treated with any of the following medications, you should not use turmeric or curcumin in medicinal forms without first talking to your health care provider.

Blood-thinning medications: Tumeric may make the effects of these drugs stronger, raising the risk of bleeding. Blood-thinners include warfarin (Coumadin), clopidogrel (Plavix), and aspirin, among others.

Drugs that reduce stomach acid: Turmeric may interfere with the action of these drugs, increasing the production of stomach acid:

Cimetidine (Tagamet)
Famotidine (Pepcid)
Ranitidine (Zantac)
Esomeprazole (Nexium)
Omeprazole
Lansoprazole (Prevacid)

Drugs for diabetes (that lower blood sugar): Turmeric may make the effects of these drugs stronger, increasing the risk of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)."
Post Reply Post Reply
You can try cutting maximum pressure to 5.0 and even use the 1 cm EPR to ease pressure. That's about as low as possible, however, your AHI will accommodate the lower pressure. Your aerophagia is a medical problem, and once the Covid-19 crisis is over, you should consult with a qualified gastroenterologist.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
So... I had to wait a while for the bipap machine due to corona, but now it's here. 

Don't expect this to solve the problem with aerophagia, but perhaps it can be one of the pieces that helps in the right direction.
Would appreciate if I could get some input on the settings for the Resmed 10 Vauto, ref chart below...

Having tested it last night, it feels more comfortable, with less effort on breathing out. Same problem as before though - wake after 5 hours, bloated stomach...
Somehow I feel like I should try higher pressure, that if I passed a certain treshold, it might help. Seems like almost everyone else are using pressures around 10-12 with no problems.

Anyway, have testet S02 to check if that was ok. Averages out at 95%, so thats ok.

Thanks again for sticking in there guys !

(Noticed time stamps are off, slept from midnight to 05:00 AM)
Post Reply Post Reply
Never mind my comment about high pressure, I should just stick to what works for me, and I will try min 4 max 5 or something like that :-)

Still would like to hear if I should make some tweaks to the Aircurve 10 vauto though!
Post Reply Post Reply
Excellent results at a very low pressure. From a therapy point of view, you don't need to make any changes, and comfort has always been the main concern with your low threshold for aerophagia. I think just hang with these settings for a while. I'm a bit surprised that the flow limitation and lleaks you had with CPAP is gone. This looks very restful and consistent.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the feedback Sleeprider - I will try and hold to this level then!
Post Reply Post Reply
You can't argue with the results and comfort levels. Congrats on your success.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Fennel tea helped until I adjusted to Auto PAP
Post Reply Post Reply
So...  It's been a while since my last post, and I wanted to give a short update. Especially for others suffering from aerophagia...

Fennel tea really did help reduce the gas levels in the morning. I think its also good to have some sort of evening ritual, and drinking a cup of tea is nice anyway.   Coffee

As for the whole gas issue, I really felt I had tried everything. I also orderer a large wedge pillow to change my reclining angle. As it turns out, that also helped - quite a lot. Not my preferred sleeping position, but you learn to adjust. I decided to order a new bed with a reclining adjustment (like hospital beds), and after sleeping in that for 2-3 weeks something strange happened. I now have no aerophagia. I sleep completely flat, with only a small pillow. Very little gas, nothing compared to before. 

Very happy about that  like

I should mention that going to vpap actually helped as well. Even though my pressure settings are so low that you would expect the same effect from the autosense 10, the aircurve 10 seems to provide smoother reduction with less resistance. I think that was also part of the equation here. 

Thanks for all the help in adressing this issue - I hope this thread can provide info also to others with same issues. I still wake up early and sleep to little, but that was my M.O. before cpap/vpap. 

I notice that I having more leaks than before (or I think so), am going to try using larger nose pillows to see if that helps (from medium to large). This graph is todays, using medium. Have to say I am very happy about 7 hrs sleep! Yay! Would appreciate comment on how this is looking now - the graphs i mean    Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stomach Sleeper Mask Options LikeaGlove90 13 1,152 12-08-2023, 10:01 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Leaks and mask displacement for side-to-stomach sleepers. Tape down nasal pillows? Bostonsnow 0 633 08-13-2023, 02:32 PM
Last Post: Bostonsnow
  AHI/Apnea worst when sleeping on stomach chris94546 2 573 07-29-2023, 10:15 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Lots of mask leak and severe bloating / stomach pain upon waking. What can I do? exchanged 6 757 05-02-2023, 07:38 PM
Last Post: cdplatt
  Air in my stomach Old Bert 64 3,839 11-25-2022, 10:35 AM
Last Post: Old Bert
  Does sleeping on your stomach prevent Apnea? WWu777 7 1,702 08-17-2022, 07:50 PM
Last Post: theredheadsaid
  Air pushed into stomach Jimboiii 1 595 07-03-2022, 11:14 AM
Last Post: Dog Slobber

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.