Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Air leak into mouth-- "Chipmunk Cheeks"
Air leak into mouth-- "Chipmunk Cheeks"
I've had my CPAP for just over a month and CPAP tech very pleased with results. 30 day AHI was 4.4 (2 week AHI is 2.4), 100% mask fit, wore the mask for full night every night. Pressure set a 11 cm, C-Flex setting 3. I started with a Wisp mask and at 2 weeks got a DreamWear mask which I love--AHI lower since then. I have a problem I have not found on the forum--with mouth fully closed, teeth tight together, I get an air leak back into my mouth giving me "chipmunk cheeks." When awake I just swallow, but asleep this will blow my mouth open with a swoosh that wakes me up. It is worse if I'm on my back, a little better on right side, and lowest on my left side. CPAP tech at medical supply office can't tell me what is wrong--I see my sleep doc this week. Anyone else have this problem--it cuts back on my actual sleep time! (Note: I use the Restronics Sleep Mapper, now called Dream Mapper) software.)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Air leak into mouth-- "Chipmunk Cheeks"
Some tips here, also scroll down to "Possibly Related Threads", bottom of the page
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-with-XPAP
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SideSleeper,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy and hang in there for more answers to your questions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, it is called lip leaking. It happens to a lot of new users. There's tricks you can do. Sometimes a chin strap can help because the pressure on the sides will help push in the cheeks and keep them from filling. There's also a chin strap called the PAPcap that is specifically designed for lip leaking.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-15-2015, 12:23 AM)SideSleeper Wrote: I've had my CPAP for just over a month and CPAP tech very pleased with results. 30 day AHI was 4.4 (2 week AHI is 2.4), 100% mask fit, wore the mask for full night every night. Pressure set a 11 cm, C-Flex setting 3. I started with a Wisp mask and at 2 weeks got a DreamWear mask which I love--AHI lower since then. I have a problem I have not found on the forum--with mouth fully closed, teeth tight together, I get an air leak back into my mouth giving me "chipmunk cheeks." When awake I just swallow, but asleep this will blow my mouth open with a swoosh that wakes me up. It is worse if I'm on my back, a little better on right side, and lowest on my left side. CPAP tech at medical supply office can't tell me what is wrong--I see my sleep doc this week. Anyone else have this problem--it cuts back on my actual sleep time! (Note: I use the Restronics Sleep Mapper, now called Dream Mapper) software.)

SideSleeper

My settings are the exact same as yours, i.e., fixed 11 cm, C-flex @ 3. I'm also using a Respironics System one.

I was given nasal pillows to start my therapy and found myself being awoken with my cheeks flapping. I then switched to the Wisp with the same results. I bought a Halo chinstrap and that really didn't help plus I didn't like the extra gear on my head. I then transitioned to an Amara full face mask. I used the Amara for about two months with mixed results...the silicone cushion yielded good results but the bridge of my nose was being chewed up something fierce. The gel cushion was more comfortable but it was prone to flapping.

I then switched to an Amara View and have had great results. I know that some have had problems with the View but it seems to be the perfect solution for me. Sleepmapper shows an average of 99% mask fit for the past 60 days (Sleepyhead shows similar results with no major leaks). My AHI went up only slightly and I'm averaging 0.9% for the past 60 days. Might be worth a try on your next insurance cycle for replacement gear.

Regards,

HDK
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, the extra gear to put on can be a major PITA. But so is finding the right FFM. As someone who went through that, I urge folks to find other solutions first. The "chipmunk cheek" problem is fixable.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-15-2015, 10:11 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Yes, it is called lip leaking. It happens to a lot of new users. There's tricks you can do. Sometimes a chin strap can help because the pressure on the sides will help push in the cheeks and keep them from filling. There's also a chin strap called the PAPcap that is specifically designed for lip leaking.

Thanks Thanks to all tat replied. I'd sure hate to go to a FFM after using this new DreamWar mask--I was claustrophobic with a Wisp! I will see what the doctor advises....
Post Reply Post Reply
Just got a dreamwear mask myself. Still fine tuning and finding the proper fit. Seems like a good concept but I find it a little loud. Had the chipmunk thing going on for awhile but a Ruby chinstrap helped lots. Good luck with this, hope it is something you can fix.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I began using the Respironics Fitlife Full Face mask it took care of chip monk cheeks and long standing irritations/sores on the bridge of my nose and/or my forehead(depending on the mask in use) Since the Fitlife goes around the bottom of your lips above the chin it effectively works like a chin strap. The mask seriously improved my CPAP comfort.

Another thought: You may want to adjust or turn off the C-Flex as a test to see if you have any improvement. I ended up turning it off on my previous unit because the feature never reacted well enough for me to improve my CPAP experience. Same for my brand new Resmed AirSense 10 Elite.

Please post updates.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the suggestions. My doctor was really pleased with my progress, will sign my papers trying to get my driver's license back (fell asleep and rear ended a car in April) and recommended I try a chin strap. He set my fixed pressure up to 12. I probably will try turning off the C-Flex--it is on 2 now--has been back and forth between 2 and 3 with no apparent change. I really like the DremWear mask--was claustrophobic even with the small Wisp mask, so hopefully won't have to go the FFM route!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 31 6 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 371 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 238 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,410 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 315 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 141 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.