Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Air leaks due to sudden bursts of pressure change.
Air leaks due to sudden bursts of pressure change.
So I noticed this when I first got my ASV, but never got around to asking about it. Sometimes, particularly in the early morning hours, My mask starts to leak, making a loud noise, waking me and my wife up. I noticed that the machine will send bursts of high pressure, causing the mask to leak. I can be just lying awake, breathing normally and this will happen. Lately I have been taking the mask off and forgetting about using this. This appears to happen after a few hours after turning it on.

Anyone else notice the machine sends sudden bursts of pressure for no reason?
I have the AirCurve 10 ASV in auto mode.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Air leaks due to sudden bursts of pressure change.
I've had that happen similar enough to know what you refer to. What exactly causes it is up for debate more or less. But in my opinion, the ASV might misinterpret your breathing pattern while that leak is occurring and may add pressure unneeded. Sometimes my ASV adds a hard blow of pressure while drifting off. I have to blow back into the mask to get the ASV back in line.

Try a blow back and working on the mask leaks as best as you can, the ASV is sensitive to leaking, especially for overall accurate therapy. I guess include it wants to "tell" you it doesn't appreciate the mid-session leaks.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
But the mask is not leaking until the pressure increase, then it reduces and the leak stops. I can understand if it was leaking slowly, but this does not appear to be the case. Also are you saying to actual blow air with my mouth when this happens? But it is always quick, and over by the time I react, so I would not be blowing air while the high pressure is occurring, but rather after the fact.

Perhaps this is a question I should be asking the manufacturer?
Post Reply Post Reply
OK thanks, I was misreading it somehow. I'd say disregard my first one. The only thing I do myself on those high pressure mask leaks, assumed similar to yours, I had to edit mask adjustments to minimize that type of high pressure induced leaks. If it's possible, try that. If not, I'm not sure then.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks,

I called the provider where I got the machine from, They said I need a new mask, But they wont get me one unless I see a doctor first, But I think I will try a new mask, this Airtouch F20 FF sounds interesting.
Perhaps the machine is doing what it is suppose to be doing.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd say the ASV is doing what it believes is best with the "inputs" you're giving it. On the F20 mask, that is still currently my go-to. I have S M and L size cushions in the silicone cushion called AirFit. I also have a memory foam based sized M called AirTouch. Both AirFit and AirTouch cushions pop in the same frame and headgear, so if you get both they can be swapped quick and easy.

I could not control leaks as well with the memory foam version but it tended to be more comfortable. Use caution on cleaning if you get this as it isn't supposed to be washed like others.
Post Reply Post Reply
if you scroll through your charts you might see what was happening. you'll see your pressure support rising & falling quickly & often substantially in response to ca & fl. many of us are more prone to events during the hours before rising so your ps was probably pretty active, causing leaks & disrupting everybody's sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2019, 09:22 AM)oldfart59 Wrote: So I noticed this when I first got my ASV, but never got around to asking about it. Sometimes, particularly in the early morning hours, My mask starts to leak, making a loud noise, waking me and my wife up. I noticed that the machine will send bursts of high pressure, causing the mask to leak. I can be just lying awake, breathing normally and this will happen. Lately I have been taking the mask off and forgetting about using this. This appears to happen after a few hours after turning it on.

Anyone else notice the machine sends sudden bursts of pressure for no reason?
I have the AirCurve 10 ASV in auto mode.

"Anyone else notice the machine sends sudden bursts of pressure for no reason?"

No.  Each time I study OSCAR at that time I can find a reason.  

However, I have a potential solution to try. Tree Top your ASV

Silly us.  We all have been thinking we should leave PS Max set to 15 or 17 and just let the ASV do its thing.  

I suggest you slowly with a 1cm H2O drop per night just start tritating down your PS Max from 15 to 14 to 13 ... until you start to see negative impacts in your AHI Daily Statistics.  

I carefully titrated my PS Max from 17 to 7.4 and it is Soooooo much better.  It is the gift that keeps on giving.  
  • Less heavy pressure bursts like you mention
  • Less Leaks
  • Less ASV system perturbations and Hypopneas generated from poor ASV recovery from leaks
  • Less pressure on your cardio/maybe a slightly lower heart rate at night
  • Now that you disturb your wife's sleep less she might like you better  .. Lol

I call this 'Tree Topping ASV Pressure Support' because of the Tree Topping shape it brings to the pressure flow chart.    

You are literally cutting the tops off those high pressure spikes.  Happy I did it and I sure don't miss them. 

Before: Spikes of pressure up to 24cm H20.  After: Pressure 'topped', limited to ~16-18cm H20               

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ha, thanks WillSleep! I will try reducing my max PS. I had it much lower at one point, then increased it when I noticed that the spicks sometime were being clamped (topped as you call it.) I was told to crank it up. I will put the settings back down to the original and see what it does. I will report back with screen shots. I am still going to try this airsense F20 FF. the memory foam sounds more comfortable.

Any your pictures look like how I trim my trees
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2019, 11:24 AM)oldfart59 Wrote: Thanks,

I called the provider where I got the machine from, They said I need a new mask, But they wont get me one unless I see a doctor first, But I think I will try a new mask, this Airtouch F20 FF sounds interesting.
Perhaps the machine is doing what it is suppose to be doing.

There is no need to see your doctor. Just call his office and let them know you need the Rx for the new mask sent over to the provider.  The best way for your doctor to prescribe a mask is to instruct the provider to supply any CPAP mask of your choice with fitting by the provider RT (respiratory therapist).  No prescription needs to specify a type, brand and model of mask. I assume you see your doctor at least yearly, and probably more often. It is a complete waste of time to schedule an appointment, because the provider is supposed to do the mask fitting. All they need is the prescription.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,432 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 284 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,709 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 139 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 161 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 108 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.