Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Air pressure hurting inside nose
Air pressure hurting inside nose
Hello:

Had recent issue when traveling with my Transcend and res med nasal pillow mask..Never had this issue before ..I'd wake up at sometime with the air pressure hurting the inside of my nose..so much so I had to remove mask and not use it rest of the night..

I am using a very short tubing now... 4 foot.... so maybe that's the issue?

Im a minimalist traveler who takes a 40Liter backpack..I try to cut down on the weight and size whenever I can... (hence shorter hose)

Im not getting sores around the nose,etc..just extreme pain with the air pressure inside my nose .. It doesn't bother me at first but I have auto machine and fall asleep pretty quickly..But more than once I woke up extreme pain with how hard the pressure was..

Ok, hoping someone can help me out... I can go a few nights without it and did..but stared to feel the effects and want and need to be my best when Im trekking the mountains or trekking thru the city all day ..

Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Air pressure hurting inside nose
I doubt it is the pressure, but the mask itself. Which one are you using?

You may need to try a different size of pillow, probably one size smaller.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your reply.

The same mask and nasal pillows I've always used ..The Res Med airfit 10 ..SMALL nasal pillows..

In fact the same mask and pillows I used last night on my home c-pap which is the Resmed .. No issues...

I've used the same set-up with my Transcend in the past and never had issues..

The only things different this time were shorter hose, and I forgot the small waterless humidifier connect between hose and mask...

I was in Ulaanbaatar Mongolia which has elevation of 4500....but had same issue when I was in Hong Kong-waking in middle night with 
air just blasting in my nostrils and the air pressure caused too much pain..End up not using it most my trip...just here and there as I could tolerate and even then not a full night..

Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
You could do an experiment and try it again with the shorter hose and/or humidifier tonight.

Also, running the data through SleepyHead may show if there was any actual change in the pressure. Aren't these machines supposed to automatically adjust to changes in elevation? I wonder if your machine could be going wonky.
Post Reply Post Reply
dp = 7.57 q1.85 L 104 / (d5 p) where

dp = pressure drop (kg/cm2)

q = air volume flow at atmospheric conditions (FAD) (m3/min)

L = length of pipe (m)

d = inside diameter of pipe (mm)

p = initial pressure - abs (kg/cm2)

1 kg/cm2 = 98068 Pa = 0.98 bar = 0.97 atmosphere = 736 mm Hg = 10000 mm H2O = 10 m H2O = 2050 psf = 14.2 psi = 29 in Hg = 394 in H2O = 32.8 ft H2O

If you want to work out the pressure drop in both pipes.
Don't bother, it is not a huge drop between the small and large pipes, though the smaller has a delivery that is slightly stronger.
I suspect it is more a humidity problem that is causing you pain, I had a lot of problems with pain when I couldn't get enough humidity.
With narrow pipes there is a bigger drop, that is why on Resmed machines there is a setting for narrow and normal pipes.
Any maths experts out there?
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I remember I put a longer hose onto a Resmed machine and the drop in pressure was quite a bit, it was so bad I had to give up on that idea and move things around instead, so between shorter hose and humidity it might be enough to give you you problem, also the speed of the air might have a very slight increase, though I don't nook if it might be enough to bother you.  However, going by the longer hose I tried and the drop i got, it might work raising the speed of the air and a slight rise in pressure might just be enough.
I suspect if you found the mask to be ok on a longer length of hose, it will be a combinati0n of humidity and a slight pressure and speed of the air that is causing you the problem.
If it were me I would be tempted to turn down the pressure slightly if using the shorter hose.
Humidity will play a big factor in it though.

Take note, I am not an expert or a doctor.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi suzengrace,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
The fact that you didn't have your humidifier is probably what caused you to have the nose pain.
Hang in there for more responses to your post, good luck with CPAP therapy. I hope your next trip is more restful.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Huh. Yes, I guess it could be the shorter hose, if all else is the same. The machine is geared to push x amount in a math formula based on distance and alien interference. Yeah, I guess that could be it.

It would be interesting to hook a manometer to both length of hoses and see what the difference is. You would then know how much to turn the pressure down to compensate.

This is cool stuff!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your reply..I will give it a try in a few days..

Thank you, Im going give it a try soon Thanks

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,802 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 193 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 144 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,963 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 170 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Can flow limitation stem from congested nose with nose mask? 40plus 11 645 01-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Airtouch F20 nose irritation artg 4 463 01-10-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: artg

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.