Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Air pressure reduction
Air pressure reduction
When and how does your physician determine when your air Thanks pressure is raised or lowered? How does he determine if indeed you don't need the CPAP machine any more? Another sleep study or from the chip in your machine? Sstudsal
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Air pressure reduction
Most people are on the machine for life. I'd guess if it really came down to it they'd be happy to charge you for another sleep study.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-30-2018, 12:40 PM)Sstudsal Wrote: When and how does your physician determine when your air Thanks pressure is raised or lowered? How does he determine if indeed you don't need the CPAP machine any more? Another sleep study or from the chip in your machine? Sstudsal

Hi Sstudsal,
Welcome to Apnea Board!

To answer your question, a good sleep doctor should be monitoring your therapy to see what types of Apnea events you are having and adjust pressure accordingly.

You will do well to start learning how to monitor your own Apnea instead of depending on your doctor.

Did you have a sleep study?  If so, then ask for a copy of it.  Believe me, you may need it in years to come.  Also request a copy of your prescription.  

To help get you started, download the free #SleepYHead software and after a few days of data on your machine, use the SD card to transfer data to #SleepyHead software.

Most folk aren’t able to stop Cpap therapy...at least we don’t hear of many. Cpap treats Sleep Apnea, but doesn’t cure it.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-30-2018, 12:40 PM)Sstudsal Wrote: When and how does your physician determine when your air Thanks pressure is raised or lowered? How does he determine if indeed you don't need the CPAP machine any more? Another sleep study or from the chip in your machine? Sstudsal

My suggestion would be as OpalRose has said, download SleepyHead so you can see what the machine is really doing. Read the instructions here on how to post full screen views of the data and you will get lots of comments on where you are at and whether or not the pressures are correct. Adjusting the pressure is mainly determined by when and at what pressure you have apnea events. If you just look at general summary data you can't tell that.

As far as discontinuing or significantly changing pressures, that is unlikely to happen unless you have a very significant weight reduction. Say you reduced your BMI from 30 to 23, and if you only had moderate apnea, there would be some possibility that use could be discontinued. Almost for sure pressures could be reduced.
Post Reply Post Reply
Heed the advice being given. I have been on CPAP for 7 yrs without the Dr. doing anything. Take control of your health through knowledge.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome

All the above is my answer.

FWIW on weight loss: I went though bariatric sleeve surgery and lost 100 pounds initially but gained 20 back. How did it affect my AHI? It halved it from untreated 70+ reducing to 35 (again an untreated number). I'm still on an ASV machine.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Your physician can determine your pressure needs if he/she reviews and monitors your statistics say weekly and if he/she is knowledgeable about the detailed characteristics of sleep apnea and its CPAP treatment. Most of us here start to learn about our condition and how we can help ourselves through the use of the free software Sleepyhead and with the aid of many experienced and sharp members here. Personally I do not believe many in the medical world can take the time and effort to delve into our individual nightly sleep patterns and spend the time and effort needed to understand and then dial our pressures in to suit us individually. Most of us have been sent on our way after a sleep study and a titrated pressure which for many of us have not completely suited. And then there is the issue of suitable masks.......

Generally we could determine CPAP needs by self titrating with our machine. Ie if you leave your machine 'wide open' from 4-20 you would be able to determine appropriate pressure levels to treat your apnea events.

However there are some of us who have complex apneas the discovery of which can be via a APAP/CPAP machine but the medical profession would require confirmation via a Polysonogramy Sleep Study.

As others have noted, unless you have a severe change of BMI and then have confirmation with another sleep study, we are likely to require PAP therapy for the rest of our days as noted by Opal Rose because PAP therapy is a treatment, not a cure.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My sister had another sleep study some months after her surgery (deviated septum) and the doc said she didn't need it any more.  Her machine predated the time when automachines with data became common.  However, a doctor generally can't say you are free from sleep apnea without a lab study.  No matter how good the machines are, they can't eliminate the possibilities. Also, she had to stop using her machine 4 or 5 days before that study.  While she still had some hypopnea episodes during REM, overall, she had reached a stage where treatment was no longer necessary.  With weight loss, I too could be in that position to eliminate apnea, BUT I'm on a cpap because of a slow heart and would have to switch from cpap to oxygen.  Cpap has fewer complications as well as lower cost overall, so cpap it is.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  anyone with positive apnea reduction using emf shielding over bed? Pierelly 7 247 03-21-2024, 07:50 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,647 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  [Treatment] Very frustrated after radiofrequency tongue base reduction surgery phitom816 4 1,364 12-03-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Too Sleepy
  Did you felt better after an septoplasty and turbinate reduction? MikeR20 5 663 11-24-2023, 04:49 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 925 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Pressure] Pressure suggestions to reduce ear pressure? rv88 0 648 05-24-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: rv88
  FFM HELP: no leaks, no nose bridge pressure and no headgear pressure on back of neck? koy23 6 1,558 01-22-2023, 07:33 PM
Last Post: koy23

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.