Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: EPAP: 9 - 15 PS: 3 - 10
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: Air pressure
(12-22-2013 06:45 PM)Lukie Wrote:  You can make one yourself by just tying a pantyhose leg around your head

I really want to make a smart-aleck response but I know the moderator would get me SHa_biggrin5

DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
12-23-2013 05:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

(12-23-2013 05:18 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote:  
(12-22-2013 06:45 PM)Lukie Wrote:  You can make one yourself by just tying a pantyhose leg around your head

I really want to make a smart-aleck response but I know the moderator would get me SHa_biggrin5

or you may get a laugh out of them!
12-23-2013 05:48 AM
drgrimes Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: S9 Resmed Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Philips Dreamwear
Humidifier: resmed
CPAP Pressure: 5-15
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

Often I am tempted to makes jokes in this forum, but my wife tells me I have a sick sense of humor.

Cicero, I had similar symptoms when using a FFM (that sounds suggestive). Blubbering lips and cheeks (resisting joke temptation) and air coming out of my mouth.

I tried chin straps but have more stuff around my face bothered me. Try making a pad to place between your chin and chest. I've used several things, but my latest is a long sock with a pair of socks that are folded together, stuffed in the center of the first sock. It sort of looks like a snake that ate a rat. Anyway it keeps my chin closed nicely. So nicely in fact that I now am able to use a nasal pillow.
I take the two loose ends of the outer sock and tuck them under the neck band of my Tshirt to keep it in place.
12-23-2013 10:33 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
PsychoMike Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: Varies with mood, ResMed F10 is my primary
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 12-17

Other Comments: asthma, cyclist upgraditis, just a little crazy (honest :D )

Cicero, as others have said, the chin strap is usually the next step...but ffm's (full face masks) are viable options if needed.

I know a lot of people look at ffm's as the "last resort", but with what I do and my temperamental nose (it likes to be stuffy), I actually find I prefer a ffm. You'll find a lot of therapy will depend on you and what you like / dislike / are willing to tolerate. Smile

Sleep well Smile
12-23-2013 12:35 PM
Cicero Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed Elite
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Nasal pillow, make unsure.
Humidifier: ResMed Elite
CPAP Pressure: 5 to 15
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments:

(12-23-2013 10:33 AM)drgrimes Wrote:  Often I am tempted to makes jokes in this forum, but my wife tells me I have a sick sense of humor.

Cicero, I had similar symptoms when using a FFM (that sounds suggestive). Blubbering lips and cheeks (resisting joke temptation) and air coming out of my mouth.

I tried chin straps but have more stuff around my face bothered me. Try making a pad to place between your chin and chest. I've used several things, but my latest is a long sock with a pair of socks that are folded together, stuffed in the center of the first sock. It sort of looks like a snake that ate a rat. Anyway it keeps my chin closed nicely. So nicely in fact that I now am able to use a nasal pillow.
I take the two loose ends of the outer sock and tuck them under the neck band of my Tshirt to keep it in place.

Will give the sock thing a go.
Developed a sore throat from night b4 last episode, so took the chance to have a night off from our self imposed torture (masochist clubRolleyes)We have some kinky member doing unusual thinks with panty hose.
I see me50 is unsure of his-her sex.!Too-funny

At the evening service tonight, the sermon topic will be 'What Is Hell?' Come early and listen to our choir practice.
12-23-2013 03:29 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments:

(12-23-2013 03:29 PM)Cicero Wrote:  
(12-23-2013 10:33 AM)drgrimes Wrote:  Often I am tempted to makes jokes in this forum, but my wife tells me I have a sick sense of humor.

Will give the sock thing a go.
Developed a sore throat from night b4 last episode, so took the chance to have a night off from our self imposed torture (masochist clubRolleyes)We have some kinky member doing unusual thinks with panty hose.

I see me50 is unsure of his-her sex.!Too-funny

nah, just want to keep you wondering lol
12-23-2013 04:06 PM
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

(12-23-2013 02:20 AM)Cicero Wrote:  Thanks all for your comments, I will attempt to take all your advice, a bloomin nuisance I must say.

It's no walk in the park, but it beats living with untreated sleep apnea.

Quote:Am I alone with this one?

Oh no, not at all. Lots of us have had this problem, along with many others. You are fortunate in that at least you were able sleep with the mask on from the start.

Quote:At one point I was surprised that with my mouth open I wasn't getting air in my mouth, somehow the back of my tongue closed of the air, unfortunately I can't do it at will.

Whatever it is it's likely you'll be able to train yourself to do it. The chin strap will help a lot. If for some reason the chin strap doesn't do it for you, there's hybrid or full face mask in your future.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
12-23-2013 05:34 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

Hi Cicero,
If you don't like a lot on your face you might try a chinstrap or the sock idea.
oh by the way, WELCOME! to the forum.!

trish6hundred
12-23-2013 06:18 PM
Airstream Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: Resmed H51
CPAP Pressure: 10-20

Other Comments: White Noise Aficionado

Cicero: I have been thinking about using a chinstrap vs. a FFM since you posted your problem. And no, you are not alone, as I for one experienced the same thing when I tried to use a chinstrap.
Now I have gotten along pretty well with my Mirage Quattro, but wonder sometimes if I should try the strap again. One other disadvantage of using a FFM, at least in my case, is not only a dry mouth but a tendency to develop a sore of the bridge of your noise when starting out. The only disadvantage of a chin strap, if it works for you, is they tend to stretch, or so I am told, and have to be replaced depending how tight you have to wear it. If my thoughts on this are correct as follows, you will have to keep it tight.
I am wondering: At what your pressure are you running? Someone told me that if that at 9 cmh20 they had no problem with the strap, but when that was increased to 14 and above it became problematic. So, (and I would like other board members with more knowledge than me to comment on this) my theory is that people on high pressure most likely can't use a strap and wind up on a FFM like me. My pressure is very high at 19 cmh20 and I think that's why the strap didn't work for me. Does anyone else have knowledge or expertise on this to confirm or debunk my theory?

To err is human, but to really mess things up, you need a computer.
(This post was last modified: 12-23-2013 07:27 PM by Airstream.)
12-23-2013 07:27 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments:

(12-23-2013 07:27 PM)Airstream Wrote:  Cicero: I have been thinking about using a chinstrap vs. a FFM since you posted your problem. And no, you are not alone, as I for one experienced the same thing when I tried to use a chinstrap.
Now I have gotten along pretty well with my Mirage Quattro, but wonder sometimes if I should try the strap again. One other disadvantage of using a FFM, at least in my case, is not only a dry mouth but a tendency to develop a sore of the bridge of your noise when starting out. The only disadvantage of a chin strap, if it works for you, is they tend to stretch, or so I am told, and have to be replaced depending how tight you have to wear it. If my thoughts on this are correct as follows, you will have to keep it tight.
I am wondering: At what your pressure are you running? Someone told me that if that at 9 cmh20 they had no problem with the strap, but when that was increased to 14 and above it became problematic. So, (and I would like other board members with more knowledge than me to comment on this) my theory is that people on high pressure most likely can't use a strap and wind up on a FFM like me. My pressure is very high at 19 cmh20 and I think that's why the strap didn't work for me. Does anyone else have knowledge or expertise on this to confirm or debunk my theory?
My pressure is 13 to 20 and I am having success with the wisp nasal mask and a carefusion chin strap. It can be adjusted so if it stretches, I can tighten it. So far I haven't had that happen. I didn't think it would work because I am definitely a mouth breather.
12-23-2013 07:43 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Which disturbs sleep most? High Pressure or Changing Pressure Rcgop 7 1,237 11-10-2016 07:37 PM
Last Post: Sleep2Snore
  Lower max pressure affecting pressure increases Rcgop 9 713 07-17-2016 07:03 PM
Last Post: green wings
  I pressure/E pressure - cause/cure - on CAs Rcgop 1 529 06-17-2016 08:47 PM
Last Post: richb
Gross treatment pressure higher than the setting pressure debby2242 24 1,983 04-03-2016 01:34 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
  Pressure and leaks, changing pressure sleepwellsir 17 4,915 12-27-2013 03:04 AM
Last Post: DOOM_NX
  resetting ResMed pressure range above 95% pressure ekim 31 6,353 11-13-2013 08:24 AM
Last Post: ekim