Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Air pressure
Air pressure
I have been on a CPAP machine for a fortnight now.
All has been well till last night, I woke to find a pressure in mouth, sort of like blowing bubbles,I have to force my mouth shut to stop air escaping, I mean really hard.
Up till now this has not been a problem
Any help would be much appreciated, thank you in advance.
At the evening service tonight, the sermon topic will be 'What Is Hell?' Come early and listen to our choir practice.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Air pressure
I would suggest trying a chin strap if it happens again. It could be that something like a stopped up nose, dry nose, etc. caused you to do this but since you say this is the first time it has happened, maybe it won't happen tonight or happen again. But, it might not hurt to have a chin strap available just in case it does happen again. Or, you could try a FFM.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-22-2013, 05:29 PM)me50 Wrote: I would suggest trying a chin strap if it happens again. It could be that something like a stopped up nose, dry nose, etc. caused you to do this but since you say this is the first time it has happened, maybe it won't happen tonight or happen again. But, it might not hurt to have a chin strap available just in case it does happen again. Or, you could try a FFM.

Thanks Me,
Will give FFM a go, after another go tonght.

At the evening service tonight, the sermon topic will be 'What Is Hell?' Come early and listen to our choir practice.
Post Reply Post Reply
A similar thing happened to me, Cisero. After a few nights I started waking up with air hissing out of my mouth. The first remedy to try is a chin strap.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Both Resmed and Respironics make nice chinstraps. You can make one yourself by just tying a pantyhose leg around your head or taking a baseball cap and attaching velcro to both sides of the cap and then a piece of non stretchy felt for the chin piece.
Some people even will use a sports mouth guard and mould it on their teeth.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-22-2013, 03:52 PM)Cicero Wrote: I have to force my mouth shut to stop air escaping, I mean really hard.
Hi Cicero: I agree that you should try a chin strap before going to a FFM. I wished that I could use one instead of a FFM. Some people, like me, however, seem to be determined to open their mouth when sleeping. When I tried used a chin strap, I was still opening my mouth a tiny bit- a tiny bit is enough to wake you up though. I tried to concentrate on keeping my mouth closed tight as you described, bit opened it a few minutes after falling asleep.
I like my FFM, but some people may not be able to use one as I have heard them complain it makes them feel claustrophobic. I think the worst issue with a FFM, however, is dry mouth. The humidifier helps considerably, but in reality, I just had to get accustomed to this problem. If you are a hard-core mouth breather you may need a FFM, but I would certainly try to get the chin strap to work for you first. Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

To err is human, but to really mess things up, you need a computer.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a big fan of the SP-CHADJ chinstrap.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree that trying the chin strap would be the first option and a FFM as the last option. I am trying carefusion chin strap and have been using it for about 3 weeks. You can see the photo of it here.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...chin-strap
Post Reply Post Reply
When I first started CPAP therapy my cheeks would sometimes fill with air like that. After a while it stopped happening. I tried holding the tip of my tongue against the roof of my mouth, just behind the teeth. This seemed to help.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all for your comments, I will attempt to take all your advice, a bloomin nuisance I must say.

Am I alone with this one?

At one point I was surprised that with my mouth open I wasn't getting air in my mouth, somehow the back of my tongue closed of the air, unfortunately I can't do it at will.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,646 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 925 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Pressure] Pressure suggestions to reduce ear pressure? rv88 0 647 05-24-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: rv88
  FFM HELP: no leaks, no nose bridge pressure and no headgear pressure on back of neck? koy23 6 1,558 01-22-2023, 07:33 PM
Last Post: koy23
  Is expiratory pressure relief similar to BiPAP on lower pressure settings? drmaestro 11 3,352 05-18-2020, 01:35 PM
  [Pressure] Difference between EPAP set pressure and operational pressure brugerard 8 2,359 01-02-2020, 10:03 PM
Last Post: brugerard
Question 90% Pressure meaning & Setting Correct Pressure for Auto-CPAP dk2011 2 3,647 12-28-2018, 05:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.