Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Air pressure
RE: Air pressure
(12-22-2013, 06:45 PM)Lukie Wrote: You can make one yourself by just tying a pantyhose leg around your head

I really want to make a smart-aleck response but I know the moderator would get me Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-23-2013, 05:18 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote:
(12-22-2013, 06:45 PM)Lukie Wrote: You can make one yourself by just tying a pantyhose leg around your head

I really want to make a smart-aleck response but I know the moderator would get me Grin

or you may get a laugh out of them!
Post Reply Post Reply
Often I am tempted to makes jokes in this forum, but my wife tells me I have a sick sense of humor.

Cicero, I had similar symptoms when using a FFM (that sounds suggestive). Blubbering lips and cheeks (resisting joke temptation) and air coming out of my mouth.

I tried chin straps but have more stuff around my face bothered me. Try making a pad to place between your chin and chest. I've used several things, but my latest is a long sock with a pair of socks that are folded together, stuffed in the center of the first sock. It sort of looks like a snake that ate a rat. Anyway it keeps my chin closed nicely. So nicely in fact that I now am able to use a nasal pillow.
I take the two loose ends of the outer sock and tuck them under the neck band of my Tshirt to keep it in place.
Post Reply Post Reply
Cicero, as others have said, the chin strap is usually the next step...but ffm's (full face masks) are viable options if needed.

I know a lot of people look at ffm's as the "last resort", but with what I do and my temperamental nose (it likes to be stuffy), I actually find I prefer a ffm. You'll find a lot of therapy will depend on you and what you like / dislike / are willing to tolerate. Smile

Sleep well Smile
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-23-2013, 10:33 AM)drgrimes Wrote: Often I am tempted to makes jokes in this forum, but my wife tells me I have a sick sense of humor.

Cicero, I had similar symptoms when using a FFM (that sounds suggestive). Blubbering lips and cheeks (resisting joke temptation) and air coming out of my mouth.

I tried chin straps but have more stuff around my face bothered me. Try making a pad to place between your chin and chest. I've used several things, but my latest is a long sock with a pair of socks that are folded together, stuffed in the center of the first sock. It sort of looks like a snake that ate a rat. Anyway it keeps my chin closed nicely. So nicely in fact that I now am able to use a nasal pillow.
I take the two loose ends of the outer sock and tuck them under the neck band of my Tshirt to keep it in place.

Will give the sock thing a go.
Developed a sore throat from night b4 last episode, so took the chance to have a night off from our self imposed torture (masochist clubRolleyes)We have some kinky member doing unusual thinks with panty hose.
I see me50 is unsure of his-her sex.!Too-funny

At the evening service tonight, the sermon topic will be 'What Is Hell?' Come early and listen to our choir practice.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-23-2013, 03:29 PM)Cicero Wrote:
(12-23-2013, 10:33 AM)drgrimes Wrote: Often I am tempted to makes jokes in this forum, but my wife tells me I have a sick sense of humor.

Will give the sock thing a go.
Developed a sore throat from night b4 last episode, so took the chance to have a night off from our self imposed torture (masochist clubRolleyes)We have some kinky member doing unusual thinks with panty hose.

I see me50 is unsure of his-her sex.!Too-funny

nah, just want to keep you wondering lol
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-23-2013, 02:20 AM)Cicero Wrote: Thanks all for your comments, I will attempt to take all your advice, a bloomin nuisance I must say.

It's no walk in the park, but it beats living with untreated sleep apnea.

Quote:Am I alone with this one?

Oh no, not at all. Lots of us have had this problem, along with many others. You are fortunate in that at least you were able sleep with the mask on from the start.

Quote:At one point I was surprised that with my mouth open I wasn't getting air in my mouth, somehow the back of my tongue closed of the air, unfortunately I can't do it at will.

Whatever it is it's likely you'll be able to train yourself to do it. The chin strap will help a lot. If for some reason the chin strap doesn't do it for you, there's hybrid or full face mask in your future.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Cicero,
If you don't like a lot on your face you might try a chinstrap or the sock idea.
oh by the way, WELCOME! to the forum.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Cicero: I have been thinking about using a chinstrap vs. a FFM since you posted your problem. And no, you are not alone, as I for one experienced the same thing when I tried to use a chinstrap.
Now I have gotten along pretty well with my Mirage Quattro, but wonder sometimes if I should try the strap again. One other disadvantage of using a FFM, at least in my case, is not only a dry mouth but a tendency to develop a sore of the bridge of your noise when starting out. The only disadvantage of a chin strap, if it works for you, is they tend to stretch, or so I am told, and have to be replaced depending how tight you have to wear it. If my thoughts on this are correct as follows, you will have to keep it tight.
I am wondering: At what your pressure are you running? Someone told me that if that at 9 cmh20 they had no problem with the strap, but when that was increased to 14 and above it became problematic. So, (and I would like other board members with more knowledge than me to comment on this) my theory is that people on high pressure most likely can't use a strap and wind up on a FFM like me. My pressure is very high at 19 cmh20 and I think that's why the strap didn't work for me. Does anyone else have knowledge or expertise on this to confirm or debunk my theory?
To err is human, but to really mess things up, you need a computer.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-23-2013, 07:27 PM)Airstream Wrote: Cicero: I have been thinking about using a chinstrap vs. a FFM since you posted your problem. And no, you are not alone, as I for one experienced the same thing when I tried to use a chinstrap.
Now I have gotten along pretty well with my Mirage Quattro, but wonder sometimes if I should try the strap again. One other disadvantage of using a FFM, at least in my case, is not only a dry mouth but a tendency to develop a sore of the bridge of your noise when starting out. The only disadvantage of a chin strap, if it works for you, is they tend to stretch, or so I am told, and have to be replaced depending how tight you have to wear it. If my thoughts on this are correct as follows, you will have to keep it tight.
I am wondering: At what your pressure are you running? Someone told me that if that at 9 cmh20 they had no problem with the strap, but when that was increased to 14 and above it became problematic. So, (and I would like other board members with more knowledge than me to comment on this) my theory is that people on high pressure most likely can't use a strap and wind up on a FFM like me. My pressure is very high at 19 cmh20 and I think that's why the strap didn't work for me. Does anyone else have knowledge or expertise on this to confirm or debunk my theory?
My pressure is 13 to 20 and I am having success with the wisp nasal mask and a carefusion chin strap. It can be adjusted so if it stretches, I can tighten it. So far I haven't had that happen. I didn't think it would work because I am definitely a mouth breather.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,637 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 922 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Pressure] Pressure suggestions to reduce ear pressure? rv88 0 646 05-24-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: rv88
  FFM HELP: no leaks, no nose bridge pressure and no headgear pressure on back of neck? koy23 6 1,556 01-22-2023, 07:33 PM
Last Post: koy23
  Is expiratory pressure relief similar to BiPAP on lower pressure settings? drmaestro 11 3,349 05-18-2020, 01:35 PM
  [Pressure] Difference between EPAP set pressure and operational pressure brugerard 8 2,350 01-02-2020, 10:03 PM
Last Post: brugerard
Question 90% Pressure meaning & Setting Correct Pressure for Auto-CPAP dk2011 2 3,646 12-28-2018, 05:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.