Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Air pressure
RE: Air pressure
Love all the comments, so much to consider but it is all there.

Where do you get the carefusion chin strap from?

Thanks you all and don't forget what day it is tomorrow.And may it be Merry.
At the evening service tonight, the sermon topic will be 'What Is Hell?' Come early and listen to our choir practice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Chin straps are sold by the same durable medical equipment providers (DME) that provide your mask, machine, hoses, etc. They are covered by insurance.

The higher the pressure, the greater the chance of a mouth-leak. The only way to know if it'll work for you is to try it.

Chin straps have to be tightened as they stretch, just like the straps on your mask. After a few months they get all stretched out and have to be replaced. I get one every six months from my DME. They last longer than six months so I have a stock pile, just like I have a stock pile of all of the equipment because it lasts longer than the insurance company replacement schedule.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all.
I tried the sock thing, didn't work for me.
Tried the Velcro chin strap and that seems to work.

I am 77 and they tell me from tests that I have sleep apnea.
I have never woken up in my 77 years feeling refreshed from sleep.
Thinking that getting oxygen during the night would improve my lot,
so far if anything I feel worse.
Hoping for a change in the end, we will see.
At the evening service tonight, the sermon topic will be 'What Is Hell?' Come early and listen to our choir practice.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Sleepster and I would try the tongue trick before going to a chin strap. For some like me, the pressure (mine is 20 cmH2O) the lips can not maintain the seal. It must be maintained with the tongue.

I did not think that I could accomplish the tongue seal at first either. In hopes of creating a physical habit that might stay with me in my sleep, I started practicing holding my tongue up against the roof of my mouth with my mouth closed moderately tightly when I was awake. Usually just prior to going to bed and just prior to going to sleep. I was able to get it working.

Good luck,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-23-2013, 02:20 AM)Cicero Wrote: Am I alone with this one?
Cicero, No you are not alone. I have been struggling with this problem since I switched from a ffm to a Wisp nasal mask. The only thing I haven't tried is the idea of a sports mouth guard. Sounds interesting. I really don't want to go back to the ffm so will continue trying to make the nasal mask work. Good luck.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-03-2014, 08:14 PM)PaytonA Wrote: I agree with Sleepster and I would try the tongue trick before going to a chin strap.

For me, and others as well, the chin strap is necessary for the back of the tongue to be able to make the seal. What happens is that the jaw-closing muscles relax when asleep, the jaw drops open, and there is now too large of a gap between the tongue and the roof of the mouth to form a seal.

So there are two things that need to be trained. You need to train the back of your tongue to stay up against the roof of your mouth, and you need to train your jaw muscles to keep your mouth closed.

I managed the former. And I know this because in the beginning air would leak into my mouth and my cheeks would puff up. In a week or two I was able to put a stop to that.

I can't manage the latter. And I know this because without a chin strap, or even with a too-loose chin strap, I'll wake up with air hissing out of my mouth; and when I check my data I see significant periods of time spent in large leak. With a properly-adjusted chin strap that doesn't happen.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-04-2014, 04:17 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(01-03-2014, 08:14 PM)PaytonA Wrote: I agree with Sleepster and I would try the tongue trick before going to a chin strap.

For me, and others as well, the chin strap is necessary for the back of the tongue to be able to make the seal. What happens is that the jaw-closing muscles relax when asleep, the jaw drops open, and there is now too large of a gap between the tongue and the roof of the mouth to form a seal.

So there are two things that need to be trained. You need to train the back of your tongue to stay up against the roof of your mouth, and you need to train your jaw muscles to keep your mouth closed.

I managed the former. And I know this because in the beginning air would leak into my mouth and my cheeks would puff up. In a week or two I was able to put a stop to that.

I can't manage the latter. And I know this because without a chin strap, or even with a too-loose chin strap, I'll wake up with air hissing out of my mouth; and when I check my data I see significant periods of time spent in large leak. With a properly-adjusted chin strap that doesn't happen.

I am sorry if I did not make a clear enough statement. I was not trying to say that one should avoid the chin strap, just that I thought it might be better to try to train the tongue seal before going to the chin strap.

As you indicated, some people can keep a seal with their mouth wide open.

Respectfully,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I have made the Velcro chin strap and it works quite well.

It's the one mentioned on here as well as on youtube.

I would also like to thank the forum for all the great information.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,643 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 923 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Pressure] Pressure suggestions to reduce ear pressure? rv88 0 646 05-24-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: rv88
  FFM HELP: no leaks, no nose bridge pressure and no headgear pressure on back of neck? koy23 6 1,556 01-22-2023, 07:33 PM
Last Post: koy23
  Is expiratory pressure relief similar to BiPAP on lower pressure settings? drmaestro 11 3,351 05-18-2020, 01:35 PM
  [Pressure] Difference between EPAP set pressure and operational pressure brugerard 8 2,356 01-02-2020, 10:03 PM
Last Post: brugerard
Question 90% Pressure meaning & Setting Correct Pressure for Auto-CPAP dk2011 2 3,647 12-28-2018, 05:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.