Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Fitbit sleep stage users -- how many times awake?
Fitbit sleep stage users -- how many times awake?
A question for all of you Fitbit wearers... On the web interface for sleep, it shows the number of awakenings as well as the number of minutes spent awake. (I've never been able to find a number of awakenings on the iOS app -- if anybody else has found one, do tell!)

These have to be at least 15 seconds to count (Fitbit states stages in 30second granularity) so I expect that it's an undercounting, but the true rate of arousals is probably proportional to what the Fitbit sees.

I see roughly 20-25 times awake over a 5-6 hour night.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Fitbit sleep stage users -- how many times awake?
Responding to bump this to the top...I don't have a fitbit.

However, I have my second Garmin watch that gives sleep reports. The first provided little data. It seldom showed me waking up. The second one (new to me; model vivoactive hr3) shows many more wakenings. It doesn't accurately start when I go to sleep.

I considered getting a fitbit, and you were a great help providing information.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Been following your discussions for a while.  I also feel your frustations with what we need and what is available....Simply what is available today for measuring sleep at home is just not ready for prime time...Here is a recent article that summarizes wearables and other home products .... plus its readable by us sleepy people!

https://academic.oup.com/sleep/article/4...91/6055610

Regarding your discussions on "Flow Limitations" I haven't contributed because its all "opinion".  ResMed and Respironics algorithims use different definitions for flow limitations and provide different answers.
The scientific literature is all over the place on what specifically we should use to measure flow limitations accurately and the AASM is not that helpful either....Hopefully automated flow shape measurements with better stastistical programs will some day provide a better answer?
So every night as I go to bed I hope I can get a good night sleep and I wish you the same.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had a few bands and a few watches .
I've finally bought an iWatch 6.

My Garmin watches.....I had two. They gave disimilar sleep reports. I don't know whether the first one was wrong, the second one was wrong, or I was wrong. They stressed me out.
My new iWatch helps me. It makes me feel more comfortable. Combine ECG, blood O2 levels and pulse rate. I'm happy I bought the watch.
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-10-2021, 06:21 AM)SleepyHenry Wrote: Been following your discussions for a while.  I also feel your frustations with what we need and what is available....Simply what is available today for measuring sleep at home is just not ready for prime time...Here is a recent article that summarizes wearables and other home products .... plus its readable by us sleepy people!

https://academic.oup.com/sleep/article/4...91/6055610

Regarding your discussions on "Flow Limitations" I haven't contributed because its all "opinion".  ResMed and Respironics algorithims use different definitions for flow limitations and provide different answers.
The scientific literature is all over the place on what specifically we should use to measure flow limitations accurately and the AASM is not that helpful either....Hopefully automated flow shape measurements with better stastistical programs  will some day provide a better answer?
So every night as I go to bed I hope I can get a good night sleep and I wish you  the same.

SleepyHenry this is a wonderful lead. Thanks for your post.

I had great help from a couple of members here. cathyf and ratchick. Thanks cathyf!

I haven't seen ratchick here for a while. 

Dave
Toronto
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
I see about 20 wake events or so a night too on my fitbit charge 4. It usually reports that I spend about 45mins to 1hr 15mins "awake" every night.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2021, 10:24 PM)sixstringmonk Wrote: I see about 20 wake events or so a night too on my fitbit charge 4. It usually reports that I spend about 45mins to 1hr 15mins "awake" every night.

Welcome to the forum sixstringmonk!

I tried a Charge 4.  Failed the age test. I couldn't see time at night when I woke up. It's an amazing band. However, I returned it.

(I bought it reluctantly.  I had a fitbit watch sometime ago that was recalled==same time it burnt the top of my wrist. Rash took a week to heal. This was the first fitbit I bought.  The safety instructions take them off the hook if it happened again. 

My reading--and help from a member here I think they have the best sleep record. It was far better than my Garmin Vivoactive HR watch; that watch was ancient. I suspect that newer Garmin are better.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
You can change sensitivity from normal to sensitive and it should catch even more awakenings.  As far as I can tell, this is just motion sensitivity and it correctly scores movements as arousal.  Under sensitive setting, it should catch even small motions, while under normal mostly position changes or other significant movements.

They say:

"It’s normal to see awake minutes in your sleep stages; studies have shown a typical adult could wake up briefly between 10-30 times per night. You may not remember waking up since you likely fell right back to sleep, especially if you were awake for less than 2-3 minutes at a time."
Post Reply Post Reply
fitbit inspire 2. sleep tracking has issues but I find it informative.

my awakenings typically number in the 20's for a 5-6 hour night. most are less than 2 minutes but I usually have two or three that last up to 30 minutes.
  Shy   I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Post Reply Post Reply
I see up a video camera. Didn't like it and took it down. In 7 hours sleep I had about 70 significant movements.

My iWatch may show 4 wake periods, but that's because I tuned it down when I didn't like the number it used to show.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Waking up 10+ times a night Valtor 4 86 1 hour ago
Last Post: Valtor
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,101 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 164 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  REM and Sleep Stage Tracking at Home rwelliot 15 5,328 02-26-2024, 03:49 AM
Last Post: DebJ
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 672 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Irregular flow rate 3 or 4 times a night showing in OSCAR Provolone 4 411 02-21-2024, 09:50 AM
Last Post: Provolone

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.