Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New with questions
RE: New with questions
(12-30-2015, 09:28 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Unless your oxygen had major desaturations, treatment normally is considered at around an AHI of 20 or above.

I have heard that some insurance companies do not allow coverage unless RDI is at least 10 or 15.

But, actually, I suspect most USA insurance companies follow USA Medicare guidelines. I think USA Medicare covers CPAP machines if the untreated RDI is at least 5.0.

RDI is the sum of the average AHI plus the average number per hour of RERA (Respiration Effort-Related Arousal) events.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New with questions
(12-30-2015, 09:12 AM)Lindz Wrote: I have an AHI of 6.1, ODI 5.5 and snore index 3.0%.
Apneas 1 obstructive 2 central/mixed 45 hypopneas.

2. The dr reading the test diagnosed mild obstructive apnea. How is that possible when I have some central/mixed in there? She said reading the actual respiration summary it looked like to her a pattern of obstructive not sure how she could tell that. Is it possible to be diagnosed with mild obstructive when there are some central/mixed in there?

Okay, if you have any thoughts on the above let me know. I start CPAP therapy next week.

I think it is not that uncommon for an apnea to start as a central apnea but, as we progressively relax during the central apnea, for the apnea to transition into being obstructive.

An obstructive apnea will tend to end with a sudden gasping for air, but centrals tend to end gradually, smoothly returning to a normal or above-normal Flow. "Flow" is the waveform which shows the rate at which we are inhaling or exhaling air.

Important:
Please refuse to accept the CPAP machine unless it is fully data-capable, as explained by member Archangle, here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

In general, I recommend asking one's doctor to prescribe an APAP machine which is supported by the SleepyHead data presentation program. If the doctor is unsure what range to prescribe, one can request the doctor to prescribe a narrow range around the pressure suggested in the sleep report.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 163 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 272 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 267 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 309 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 467 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  My treatment fun. Questions. robbob2112 15 1,602 10-26-2023, 10:19 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie questions - What am I seeing? lmftit 0 358 09-04-2023, 04:44 PM
Last Post: lmftit

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.