Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AirFit™ N20 fitting
AirFit™ N20 fitting
After using this mask for a bit, I'm really having trouble adjusting it.     Anyone have suggestions?

The biggest problem is that it seems like it slides up my face while I'm sleeping, so that the bottom part of it rests against the bottom of my nose.  This makes it harder to breath, because my nostrils are close to the flat plastic bottom of the nasal mask.

Maybe I should be making it a lot tighter??
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [split] AirFit™ N20 fitting
(10-06-2017, 02:12 PM)mogulman Wrote: After using this mask for a bit, I'm really having trouble adjusting it.     Anyone have suggestions?

The biggest problem is that it seems like it slides up my face while I'm sleeping, so that the bottom part of it rests against the bottom of my nose.  This makes it harder to breath, because my nostrils are close to the flat plastic bottom of the nasal mask.

Maybe I should be making it a lot tighter??

My best guess would be to slightly tighten the pair of lower straps to try to prevent the mask from riding up. I'd also look at how the straps that encircle the crown of your head are seated when you put on the mask, as in my experience it helps to spread them (they tend to bunch up otherwise).

Cranking too hard on the adjustable straps (especially the upper pair) could impede with the design of the cushion (which should rest and seal with air pressure) and it could lead to a sore on your nose.

I also wonder what size cushion you are using? I found I need a small and am surprised how large the cushions run (and how small the headgears run). I have a small cushion with a Large headgear (after the standard headgear proved a poor fit).

I hope something in here help you.

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, and while I know you are aware of this mogulman, since N20s may come up for others in a search:

DESPITE BEING A "NASAL MASK" ResMed HAS DESIGNED THESE TO BE USED WITH THE PILLOW SETTINGS ON THEIR DEVICES.

Forgive the PSA.

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm still having this issue. I actually got a new set of the Silicone Pillow for this mask last week and it worked better for about a week. Now it is riding up again. I tried cleaning the Silicone with some hand soap.

I measured myself, using the Resmed measuring tool. I'm using a Medium which is the right size. Large is way big using the tool. Small is definitely too small.

What happens is that the bottom of the triangle of the nasal mask slides up so it is resting right at my nostrils on the Columella (I had to look that up). There is still a little space so I can breath, but not a lot. It ends up waking me up.

I've tried tightening the lower strap a lot, but then I get marks on my face. It also doesn't necessarily help.

I'm kind of bummed because this nasal mask has worked the best for me. I get lower than 1 when it is working. When it is sliding my AHI is 2-3, and I wake up quite a bit.

Maybe I trying using a different cleaner on the mask, so it is more sticky?
or playing around some more with the straps?
or a different nasal mask that works better for people that sleep on their side or roll?
Post Reply Post Reply
I just got this mask to try and the cushion does seem to fit pretty close to the bottom of the nose, but it doesn't seem to cause me a problem because there's space below the nose inside the cushion.  Do you have a 'hanging columella' like Debra Messing?  Maybe that's bothering the cushion.
Try making sure you have the top straps as loose as possible while eliminating leaks into the eyes.  Or you may need a large headgear?
Post Reply Post Reply
Supplier #31 sells a mask stabilizer which is very comfortable. I use it with the FFM F20 and it is very soft. I also use the cheek pads to prevent strap marks. You will have to look and see if it will work for your situation.
Post Reply Post Reply
I found that I was having the same problem with the Airfit N20.  I like the nose cushion, but the headgear straps are not very stretchy, and this causes them to shift as you move around on the pillow, unless you tighten them to an uncomfortable level, which isn't a solution.  And, like with the Wisp, the standard headgear seems to run small - on both of these masks the top straps have no extra to play with when I position the cushion correctly over my nose.  But at least the Wisp headgear is stretchier than the N20's.  I had purchased a large headgear for the Wisp, so I put together a hybrid.....the large, and more elastic, Wisp headgear with, instead, the magnetic N20 clips attached, and then combined with the N20 front piece and cushion.  Presto.  This combines the best features of both masks - the nicely fitting N20 cushion, it's handy magnetic-assist clips, it's lightweight hose with forward-directed diffuser, and the Wisp's stretchy and comfortable, large size headgear with the top loop for holding the hose in a top of head connection position to the main hose.  The top of head connection, used with a hose hanger, is no more difficult to disconnect for a bathroom break than the N20's fussy hose to mask connection anyway, so this is a good trade-off.  You get the benefit of eliminating hose issues without the side tube noise and leakage issues of, say, a dreamwear mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Cronkster,

The N20 nasal cushion has been the best so far for me, except that I have had to tighten it so much to stop leaking, that I end up with numbness in my upper lip from compression.  

So, I'm very interested in how you matched up parts of the Wisp with the N20 and thinking about trying that.  Just checking in with you to see if you are still using this set up, and if so, if you have any additional observations since your last post here (or if you have moved on to something else).  

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm glad you asked about this.  I liked the N20 cushion a lot too.  It seems well contoured.  But then I started having trouble with it causing discomfort too.  It IS shaped nicely, but as you indicated, I seemed to have to have it too tight in order to seal well and it would eventually put too much pressure ( I think if I remember correctly on my lip like on yours).
As for the headwear change - all one has to do is swap the N20 headgear straps for the Wisp straps.  Just thread the Wisp straps through the slots on the N20 frame.  I'm calling the strap contraption the headgrear and the front arrangement that the cushion snaps into, the frame.

But since having the cushion discomfort I've returned the N20 mask and now have 3 masks .....
1. The Wisp, which is still quite a good, pretty comfortable, lightweight and mostly leak-free mask, although I don't care too much for the diffuser which can blow a fairly concentrated stream at times - but it is quiet.
2. The (believe it or not, and I can hardly believe it myself) ResMed Mirage Activa LT.  Which is the most ungodly clunky looking thing but is much lighter weight than it looks and seals really well - almost too well - once you get the right size cushion.  And you can only buy once cushion at a time!
3.  I've just gone back to the Dreamwear mask with a modification to get it to be more stable and eliminate leaks.  See my post under 'modification to the dreamwear mask'

Good luck and let us know how you do with these suggestions.
Post Reply Post Reply
Try the smaller cushion..
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 49 3,132 1 hour ago
Last Post: yankees123
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,568 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,976 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 298 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  [Equipment] Hybrid mask discontinued, new AirFit 30 leaks! LessSleepyHalf 3 985 02-18-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  ResMed Airfit P10 ScottW 41 20,129 02-12-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: TexasDon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.