Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mandibular Advancement Devices
RE: Mandibular Advancement Devices
Talked to my dentist about these and his comment was don't even think about it. He feels they are not worth the problems they create with TMJ, jaw misalignment and other issues. He has had a couple of patients ask him to make one, and he refused and explained why.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
My son invited me to accompany him to his sleep dentist for an adjustment. I went. His dentist uses a dental device but advised me that they are effective only 70-85% of the time and then only for patients with mild to moderate apnea. He said they would be a waste for those with severe apnea. I have severe apnea. So...................................   Back to the mask. BTW: I'm  very pleased with the Airfit P10 mask. It was the only one that I could adjust to fit without noisy air loss! Domestic tranquility at last!  <gr>
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried one a few years back. It was expensive and ultimately didn't work and it wasn't that I wasn't motivated. It was made by a dentist specializing in these devices. I have moderate sleep apnea but I thought I'd give it a try. It was not comfortable so it's one kind of discomfort or the other. I'm back on cpap.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-01-2017, 08:45 AM)BlinkyGeorgia Wrote: Does anyone have experience with these devices for controlling sleep apnea? Are they preferable to masks and pumps?
Yes
No

Created a painful TMJ condition and did nothing to help my apnea.
I could not properly close my jaw to chew food for several hours after getting up.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
The other, in my view, major problem with MADs is that there is no nightly data to measure the efficacy of the appliance other than the "how do I feel in the AM' test. One could add a pulse oximeter to the nightly routine which would give info on desats but no info on AHI.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used one in the past with a cap machine. It seems to help open the airway a bit, but my OA obstruction is mainly farther down in the throat when the muscles relax during sleep. Sometimes the jaw joint would be tender.

Of course, the MAD doesn't treat my sleep transition issues that require a Resmed ASV.

I may get a new MAD to see if it helps hold my jaw in place when using FFM.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 56 4,911 27 minutes ago
Last Post: btreger
  Smart Watches/devices Fourkidletts 172 17,073 03-02-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 248 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  [Equipment] Philips Replacement Devices - No PREHEAT or AUTO-OFF malabarflash 0 246 01-27-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: malabarflash
  [Treatment] Where can I get this type of Boil-and-bite Mandibular Advancement Splint / MAD? selfhelpdevice 1 345 11-13-2023, 08:38 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Bimaxillary jaw advancement: I'm the freak outlier! Robbos 3 634 09-24-2023, 09:26 PM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  [Equipment] Any experiences with Ventmed VM8 or other Ventmed devices? Bhante 2 571 08-13-2023, 01:21 AM
Last Post: Bhante

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.