Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AirFit F20 "For Her" for him?
RE: AirFit F20 "For Her" for him?
II use the F20 that I guess you could say is "for him" since it's not the pink head gear. The F20 for her leaked a lot when I tried it at the DME. This one did not. 

I like it but I find myself waking up with the bottom lip in my mouth. I'd gotten used to a nasal mask but picked up the F20 for allergy season. Guess it's back to nasal masks for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2017, 10:44 PM)bons Wrote: II use the F20 that I guess you could say is "for him" since it's not the pink head gear. The F20 for her leaked a lot when I tried it at the DME. This one did not. 

I like it but I find myself waking up with the bottom lip in my mouth. I'd gotten used to a nasal mask but picked up the F20 for allergy season. Guess it's back to nasal masks for me.

Apparently you open your mouth in your sleep. How do you use the nasal mask. Try a larger cushion. It sounds like that one might be too small for you.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2017, 10:44 PM)bons Wrote: II use the F20 that I guess you could say is "for him" since it's not the pink head gear. The F20 for her leaked a lot when I tried it at the DME. This one did not. 

I had the same problem. A $10 Avalon Aire chin strap solved it. The chin strap doesn't need to be very tight so it's not uncomfortable. I don't even notice it.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
It makes me wonder if the next larger size cushion might not help keep the lower seal out of your mouth.

Best regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-21-2017, 12:33 PM)Orionsnet Wrote: Hi, I bought a pack of these filters that connect between the tubing and mask:
AirLife Disposable Bacteria Filter BAX00185
Description:
Product description
AirLife disposable respiratory filter traps bacteria and viral particles by electrostatic attraction and its dense makeup. Filter provides defense against infection. Small, lightweight and translucent, our hydrophobic filter resists moisture and offers easy visualization of water buildup. Latex-free.

I was curious about these filters because I have worked with sterilizing filters for the past 30 years. I went to the manufacturer's web site (CareFusion) and found that the specifications from your supplier are not entirely accurate. The filter is a hydrophobic polypropylene membrane filter. I'm very familiar with such filters. It is not an electrostatic filter.  It’s a thin membrane with very small pores.

Please be aware membrane filters reduce airflow more than fiber filters. Some suppliers caution that your machine may need to be re-calibrated for use with such filters. Such warnings may just be CYA disclaimers but maybe not. A hydrophobic membrane will completely block the flow of air if it gets wet. That may happen with use of a humidifier, especially if you have significant rainout.  They resist moisture in that they do not allow the passage of water. They can, however, become wet and block flow.  I have observed this in lab and large scale industrial applications.

I agree with Marillion that they are not needed. The air you breathe from your machine is the same air you breathe when not connected with the exception that it is probably cleaner since it is filtered at the intake. Generally, bacteria and viruses are not floating free in the air. They are usually in aerosol droplets or on particulate matter, some of which will be removed by the inlet filter even though it is not a “sterilizing filter”.  Also, although some bacteria will grow in humidifier water they will not reach high numbers if you clean your equipment regularly and those that grow are not pathogenic except for immune compromised individuals
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2017, 03:17 PM)Orionsnet Wrote: I got the "For Her" F20 and tried it out last weekend. One thing that disappointed me was it is missing a short foot or two connection tube that the P10 and Amara View both have that would plug into the ClimateLine tube. I am wondering if the seller didn't include one or if you have to buy one separate with this mask. If so, I can't find one on the parts/Accessories for the F20. That ClimateLine tube is a lot heavier so I can feel it on me and have less length to move around. Does anyone know if it should have came with a connection hose like the Airfit P10 has or is there's a 3rd party short lightweight hose like what the P10 has that will connect to ClimateLine and the F20?

The larger issue I have is the top of this mask that sits on the bridge of my nose is leaving a red mark and think it may have actually bruised it because the red mark never went away before using the mask again. The mask doesn't feel too tight so I don't think it is that.

Besides the lack of a lightweight connection hose and the red mark it leaves on the top of my nose, I can definitely breathe easier than I can with the Amara View.
The way the nose cushion is on the Amara View, it makes it harder for me to nose breathe. However, it doesn't hurt my nose or leave a red mark. Not sure which one I am going to stick with. The no marking on my nose and more freedom of movement from the Amara View may have me just biting the bullet to spend all the extra time it takes for me to get it positioned perfect to where I can get ample air to my nose.

Do a Google search for "The SleepWeaver Featherweight Tube by Circadience"  This is a 15 mm flexible hose that is placed between the CPAP mask and standard hose to give you more flexibility in movement.  This would work with your filter, or you can buy any 2-foot CPAP tube, also can be found with a search.  The more flexible tube would be better.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
After a week's trial, I purchased the AirFit F20 For Her. What a difference it makes to my sleep!

AHI - consistently under 3.
Leaks - consistently minimal

Pros -
the magnets are easier than clips
it is easy to remove the mask if you get up in the middle of the night
Love wearing only one device (with the DreamWear nasal mask, I need a clip to hold the strap in place and a collar to prevent my mouth from falling open).

Cons -
the redness at the bridge of my nose (but the moleskin really helps with this)

All in all, after trying two other masks (Amara View; Dream Wear) in the last year without too much success, I think I have found a good one.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is no short hose for f20. You climate hose attaches rite to the elbow on the mask. I have f20 just get marks on side of face that i was sleeping on.
Post Reply Post Reply
The SleepWeaver Featherweight Tube works perfectly with the F20 I use occasionally. It has standard sized ends and will work with most masks. Most of the suppliers on the suppliers list have it. Curiously, it cost more on Amazon when I checked there.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 50 3,190 3 hours ago
Last Post: car54
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,577 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,980 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 299 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  [Equipment] Hybrid mask discontinued, new AirFit 30 leaks! LessSleepyHalf 3 985 02-18-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  ResMed Airfit P10 ScottW 41 20,132 02-12-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: TexasDon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.