Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge
AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge
Hi all! I'm new here but it looks like you have a great community. I'll be sticking around.

I have an ResMed AirSense 10 and my current mask is a medium AirFit F20. I've been using my CPAP every single night for about a year and a half.
I started with the silicone mask but it was irritating my nose bridge so badly I actually had an open sore. I switched to the foam cushion mask and that's much better, but it still leaves a lasting mark on my nose. I have my mask adjusted as loose as it can be without having any leaks.

I have a very large head (size 7-7/8, or size 8, in hat sizes) and a large nose. My headgear can't go any looser on the adjustable top 2 velcro straps. The foam cushion is honestly very comfortable but it does leave a faint outline along the entire edge of the mask, on my face. And all the skin within the mask is a slightly flushed tint.

I can't decide if I need a different mask model, or if going to a large F20 mask and headgear would be best? Has anybody been in my situation before? I'm thinking if I change masks completely, a nose pillow mask might be my best next test mask.

Thank you so much for reading!! I look forward to hopefully getting some advice. Thanks!

Extra info:
The company that originally fitted me was actually horrible. They gave me a small 'AirFit F20 For Her' mask and headgear because it was all they had in stock. I didn't know anything about CPAP back then so I thought I needed to just get used to it.
Upgrading to a medium after 6mo was so much better. And going from silicone to foam was even better than that.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge
Hello SavvApnea and Welcome

When I first started xPAP I used the F20 (silicon) for a while and like you it severely irritated the bridge of my nose (right where my glasses sit).

I then tried the P10 briefly but the nasal type wasn't for me, but my wife loves it.

I settled on the F30 (which my wife could never get a good seal with).  ResMed still considers it a full face mask but it looks more like a hybrid.  Fits under the nostrils and covers the mouth.  Can even wear my glasses with the mask on!  Been using this one for a couple of years now.

Your needs may be different as far as masks, but I am very happy I made the switch.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the same problem with the F20. I can't use the foam Airtouch cusion as it ends up pushing down enough on my nose during the night to affect my breathing. I've tried cushion covers and gel nose pads which help somewhat plus having the top straps as loose as possible without leaks. I now switch off with the new F&P Evora Full when the bridge of my nose gets too irritated. It is similar to the Resmed F30 but I find the Evora FFM fites me better with fewer leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh no I was hoping it was just me & I could fix it!  First night the F20 was perfect, 2nd & 3rd my nose bridge really hurt when I took it off and I thought I had messed up the fit. Right wear my glasses sit doesn’t help as someone else said. I am using the silicon but have ordered the airtouch.  I was thinking of going to F30 but did not like similar dreamwear, possibly F10 but sounds like maybe not comfortable either.  What is significance of 10/20/30 anything?  Is there a place to give feedback to the company ot do they care.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think a lot of people like the Airtouch cushion. People are so different, the only way to  know if something will work for you is to try it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Switching from the AirTouch medium to a large may help you. The dimension that changes seems to be only the height making bettet contact with the area under your mouth and higher up beteen your eyebrows thus not contacting the bridge if your nose so much. This did the trick for me. And the foam filled in any areas that silicone often will not. You should for sure try one before deciding the AirTOUCH won't work for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
ECM5,

The 10/20/30 are just model numbers for the ResMed masks.  Not sure if there is any real significance.

The difference is in the letter P/N/F for ResMed masks:
  • P = Pillows (or Nasal Pillows)
  • N = Nasal
  • F = Full face
So the P10 is a "Nasal Pillows" mask, and an F30 is considered a "Full Face" mask.

Another thing to consider is that your machine has a setting for the different mask types (P/N/F).  If you switch from a Full Face to a Nasal you should change the setting appropriately on the machine.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Since starting CPAP I have always had to use a full face mask and always had irritation and indentation on the bridge of my nose.
The ResMed F30 has solved this. It is a hybrid full face mask that does not go on your nose bridge. I have successfully used it since it came out which was about 3 years ago.

Post Reply Post Reply
Firstly, the original booklet that came with your mask should have included a sizing guide. Failing that, there is a F20 sizing guide at https://www.resmed.com/en-us/sleep-apnea...e-at-home/ which will tell you which size you need. I hope including the url does not get me in trouble. No advertising or anything. ZNo mask sold at this url.

Secondly, if you decide to try a pillow mask, may I suggest the Fisher & Paykel Brevida pillow mask. I find it seals easily and is a very stable mask. It needs to be on the loose side. If the straps are too tight, that will distort the silicone and cause a leak. After the mask first inflates, I pull it out and reset it to let the seal fully inflate.
Post Reply Post Reply
Our wiki for mask fitting guides was recently updated and has templates for most masks.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ing_Guides

If you find a mask template missing, let us know.
Jeff8356

How to Links:
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pimples inside nose cam 6 5,583 Today, 12:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Anyone else have trouble breathing through their nose when sleeping? POOKISTAN 7 228 04-23-2024, 06:12 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 76 6,228 04-20-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: yankees123
  Hybrid Masks more comfortable than over the nose FF mask? sleepingbetterinFl 6 207 04-20-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: cps22
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 140 36,038 04-20-2024, 09:02 AM
Last Post: backdoc
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 16 345 04-19-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: jake79
  Dripping Nose Lesley19 3 141 04-10-2024, 01:50 AM
Last Post: Lesley19

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.