Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AirFit F20 homemade Mask Liner
AirFit F20 homemade Mask Liner
First off, I love the F20 FFM, however I found that after a couple of months, it just starts to leak and wakes me up during the night when you get that brrpppp sound from the side of your face.
I have tried suggestions from the mask primer, I wash and use cpap wipes, I just have a hard time getting it to seal properly over my cheek area. Funny thing is, if I open my mouth it will stop the leak, however mouth breathing seems counter intuitive. 

Anyways, I searched online and came across mask liners but they were very expensive for what they are. So, I decided to try to make my own version last night and see how that would work.

It actually worked much better that I thought it would and I did not have to adjust for that brrppp sound leak at all. First in a while. Strap tension was even just a bit loser than without the liner. I did have a tiny bit of leak around the eyes initially but then moved the cover back more at the top so that there was more silicon available on the nose bridge.

Basically, I took a never used pair of dress socks and cut them into 3 -1/4" tubes and just placed them over the mask as shown in photo.

There was no itching, scratching or annoyance, nothing  It was even out of my visual as well. I did notice that the edge of the material did leave a thin red line where it contacted my face, the same way the straps do.

simple easy mode that might help with some leaking for some people. I figure it must just put enough pressure on the outside silicon walls to keep them from flapping so to speak.

I think I may play around with the sock material. Maybe try a felt or flannel or even some type of nylon or spandex material to see which is better. Perhaps even fold ends over and sew them to make a nicer edge that will not be pron to coming apart once I wash these. 

For the price of a pair of socks, it is worth the try compared to what they cost on amazon or elsewhere.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AirFit F20 homemade Mask Liner
Oh wow! That's cool!!!

I'm totally going to have to try that... but on some other mask with headgear that I like.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's such a great, simple solution!

I would like to put something between my skin and the plastic parts of my mask that touch my cheeks, but my hands aren't up to sewing due to arthritis. (My first thought for how to make a cover involved sewing.) Your way is very good and should be possible for almost anyone. Socks are available in almost every kind of fiber, too.

I want to use silk, which should help prevent red marks and is especially gentle for skin, but it may not be stretchy enough the way your socks seem to be.
Post Reply Post Reply
Patent it!  It's a great idea!
Post Reply Post Reply
Kudos on innovative concept. Sounds like you get good results that others can emulate.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wiil try it on my F20 airtouch. I have oily skin and the oil degrades the foam. 

GREAT IDEA, THANKS

car54
Post Reply Post Reply
Second night in with sock mod and no leaking. Smile I actually think I woke less during the night. AHI back down below 2, (1.8) and I raised my EPAP from 13.4 to 14 just to see how the extra pressure felt. Felt great.

The only thing I noticed was in the second photo, showing the sock coming around on the silicon itself, that pic is a little misleading. When I have it on I noticed that I have the sock completely covering the silicon on the sides. and bottom and a little silicon showing on top. I will put up another proper photo after work today.

Would really like to know if this does work for any one else. Keep any updates coming.
Post Reply Post Reply
3'rd night in a row and not on bbrrrpppp to deal with. Happy camper.
Post Reply Post Reply
What a great idea.  I have the same mask and I have the same bbbrrrppp on the side of my mask, usually in the early morning.  I have been solving the problem by turning the machine off for a minute, then back on again. By doing that, it resets  the pressure from the titrated up pressure, to the lower starting exhale pressure.  

I have tried tightening the mask straps, but for some reason that doesn't work-it just makes the mask more uncomfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply
That sounds exactly like my scenario to the T. So far the simple sock fix has worked like a charm and no more mask farts waking me or my wife and I am waking up less during the night. Will upload an updated photo to properly reflect how it goes on as the second photo was not right.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 50 3,177 1 hour ago
Last Post: car54
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,570 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,977 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 298 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  [Equipment] Hybrid mask discontinued, new AirFit 30 leaks! LessSleepyHalf 3 985 02-18-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  ResMed Airfit P10 ScottW 41 20,130 02-12-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: TexasDon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.