Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] New moderate apnea member seeking advice
New moderate apnea member seeking advice
25 yo male
Diagnosed with OSA this week after my sleep study came back. Originally started from a peritonsillar abscess that led to the ER and follow-up with an ENT. He recommended a sleep study after examining my mouth and hearing my symptoms. Thoughts on going forward with a tonsillectomy if insurance covers to help with apnea? ENT said it's a secondary option in the future for my OSA. So now they tossed my insurance info to a DME group to process and I've been doing research online and seeing the shortage, issues, and delays. I went ahead and opted to pay $30 a month for ResMed AirSense 10 rental(cpapbox) for the time being before settling on one. I want to buy one outright and doubt going through insurance would benefit me even though my deductible is almost met.

ENT doc prescription: Order for APAP setup: 5-15cmH2O, heated humidity, climate line tubing, water chamber, disposable filters, etc
Assessments: - G47.33, OSA. AHI ~15 events per hr (Not sure what the G assessment number means)
*Also test was probably not entirely accurate was put on Apnealink air sleep study that logged effort, pulse, oxygen, nasal flow and snoring. The nasal tube fell out multiple times throughout the night even though the doc said it was enough data I am skeptical. 7hrs slept like 4 hrs of sleep logged. Hope to do a better in house sleep study in the future that collects movement and brain signals on how much REM sleep I am getting? Insurance kinda wack with UHC through work and not sure what is needed to convince them for a better study.

Figuring out how to tune my new machine and what masks I should get? Active/side sleeper, thinking about both a nasal pillow or full face and see if I am much of a mouth breather. Not sure where I should shop where they'll let me return if the mask is not ideal for me. I've also been told I grind my teeth a ton when I sleep. 10hr sleep days and haven't had a dream in years. Looking for a cure to this lifetime suffering and it's been affecting my work lately I've literally missed meetings because I've dozed off so much.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New moderate apnea member seeking advice
Hi! I’m a newbie too Smile I think you would know if you were a heavy mouth breather that needs a full mask. I know I do, as I sit here typing this my mouth is open and I’m only breathing through that. When i close my mouth and try only my nose i feel like I’m not getting enough air and have to open my mouth. I use the F30i. I actually find it comfortable even with side sleeping and moving around. The hose goes off the top so it really doesn’t get in my way at all. That said, from what I’ve read, a nasal option with chin strap may be even more comfortable for non-heavy or primary mouth breathers.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 164 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 14 249 Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 849 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,778 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 134 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 143 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.