Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AirFit F30 current user, looking for alternatives
RE: AirFit F30 current user, looking for alternatives
(06-23-2022, 04:21 PM)cartab Wrote: I have had a lot of good experience with F30i/

I’ve never tried a top tube mask.  I know I’d eventually get used to it.  Because of the way the overhead tubes fit, the geometry of the straps may be slightly different from the angles they attach on the regular F30.  That might make a difference in how they seal.
Post Reply Post Reply
There doesn’t seem to be a lot of FFM recommendations other than what’s already been mentioned here. I’m down to pretty much one decision: replace my current F30 cushion or try the F&P Evora. Sometime this week I’ll figure it out.
Post Reply Post Reply
Today I ordered the F&P Evora. Looking forward ro trying something new.
Post Reply Post Reply
I find I have to change out my F30 at least every 9 months. I just clean with regular liquid hand soap, so possibly a better cleaner could keep it more supple so it can form to the face for a longer timeframe ?

Re- the F30i , I didnt try one of those as I couldnt figure out how much more of a hassle the routine cleaning would be.

That Evora sure is a minimalist design. Keep us posted if it worked out !
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2022, 09:15 AM)DaveCar Wrote: I find I have to change out my F30 at least every 9 months.  I just clean with regular liquid hand soap, so possibly a better cleaner could keep it more supple so it can form to the face for a longer timeframe ?

Re- the F30i  ,  I didnt try one of those as I couldnt figure out how much more of a hassle the routine cleaning would be.

That Evora sure is a minimalist design.  Keep us posted if it worked out !

My F30 mask is about 6-9 months old now.  It's definitely time to change it, the silicone is starting to lose a little bit of it's original softness and flexibility.  I think that's just the way this kind of silicone is, maybe using some other type of cleaning agent will add a little extra life, but probably not all that much.

The new mask should come tomorrow, and I'm sure it will take another several days to get it adjusted and fit properly, and then maybe another day or two to get used to it.  F&P Evora also comes with a "fit kit" that includes all three cushion sizes so you can figure out which one works best.

I'm looking forward to not having to deal with those magnetic straps anymore.  It seems at least once a night one of them will pop loose.  And then pretty much every night if I have to remove/replace the mask in the dark, those magnets will stick together and take a while for me to untangle the mess by feel.
Post Reply Post Reply
Got the Evora yesterday. It came with 3 different sized cushions, I used the S/M. The XS and Large are the other two. My AHI numbers this morning were 0.2.

As far as comfort, leaks, fit, etc compared to the F30:

1) I had far fewer leaks, so I had a full night sleep (with exceptions, following)
2) Fit and comfort - I liked it well enough.*

Now the exceptions: I found the same thing with the Evora that I've struggled with using the F30, leaks around the sides after about 4 hrs. At roughly the 4 hr mark there's some combination of skin oil, moisture, or whatever, that builds up and interferes with the skin/cushion contact and then the seal lets air through. It isn't really a matter of fit, it's just that the seal isn't strong enough to keep air from getting past. My face is probably a little on the narrow side, so the cushion doesn't seem to follow my contours very well along the sides. On the F30, I had to really tighten the straps to get a good seal, the Evora was a lot more forgiving, so I didn't have to pull so hard. The F30 required more tension to fit better on the sides, but that meant the top and bottom were very tight. So at the 4 hr mark, I generally use the restroom, wash my face, wipe off the cushion, and then get back to sleep. With the F30 I was waking up multiple times to adjust for leaks and to re-attack the magnetic straps that had come loose. I didn't have that problem last night with the Evora.

*I'm comparing a new Evora with a hard used F30 cushion. it's possible that with a fresh F30 cushion I'd find that the mask tension could be a bit less. So I'm not exactly comparing apples to apples. But I do think the Evora is fitting me better. And since it didn't require as much tension, it was also more comfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night I swapped out the Evora S/M cushion for the XS to see what would happen. I was wondering if it would seal better on my cheeks. It did, but the seal around my nose and below my mouth was worse. So after
15-20 minutes of trying to get a seal, I put the S/M cushion back in. Next up is to experiment with the large.
Post Reply Post Reply
After trying 4-5 different FFMs, none of which were very effective or comfortable for an entire night, I switched to a nasal mask, a soft cervical collar and mouth tape.  That combo has worked well for me.

My current nasal mask of choice is Respironics' Dreamwear, but other nasal masks have also worked well (ResMed Airfit N30, ResMed Airfit N30i and Fisher & Paykel Brevida). For me, a nasal mask isn't as hot as a FFM and provides a better seal all night long, especially when sleeping on my side and shifting during the night from one side to the other side. The cervical collar helps avoid chin tucking which can cause positional apneas and the mouth tape prevents mouth leaks.

A more drastic approach (in my opinion) is a Bleep nasal mask, which I've also tried.  Properly applied, the Bleep completely eliminates all mask leaks, but I don't like the way it tugs on my nares. I still wear a collar and mouth tape with the Bleep. Some people like the Bleep a lot.
Post Reply Post Reply
I typically take a medium in other masks, so I started with the medium cushion when I received the Evora FF. I used it for a couple of nights but it felt uncomfortable. I switched to the large and it was more comfortable and I have had minimal to no leaking.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not sure what happened last night, but I slept clean through the night, about 7.5 hrs. I can’t remember the last time that happened. AHI numbers were <1 (0.7 or so). Maybe I’m getting used to the Evora, or the mask and straps are getting broken in.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 50 3,180 2 hours ago
Last Post: car54
  Current OSCAR Data Tylermdugan 0 65 03-26-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tylermdugan
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,574 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,977 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 298 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  [Equipment] Hybrid mask discontinued, new AirFit 30 leaks! LessSleepyHalf 3 985 02-18-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.