Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New user - is my experience normal?
New user - is my experience normal?
I am a new user. Contacted referred sleep doctor in my health plan and told him of problems with snoring, also talking in sleep, screaming at times in sleep, a few incidents of acting dreams out in sleep, insomnia. He only does video visits and phone calls, so no in person consultation. He orders at home sleep test and concludes I have mild sleep apnea. No prescription given to me but he orders a machine and mask of his choosing (no input from me and all as a purchase, not rental) and has it sent to me. Machine has full pressure range and is self-adjusting cpap and I have to figure out myself how to use it and how to deal with rainout. I finally consult with respiratory therapist in my plan after a few weeks and pressure is reset to less of a range. The cpap hasn't done anything for the sleep talking, insomnia or fragmented sleep.
So, I guess I'm wondering if I really should have been given a full sleep study at a facility since I have sleep problems beyong just snoring, if I should have been given a titration study, if I should have been given a prescription and had a choice in choosing equipment since I have to pay 20% of it and been given a mask fitting. Like I said, I'm new to all of this, but I'm doubting that I've gotten good care in all of this and wondering if I should go outside the health plan system and pay to get a second opinion.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New user - is my experience normal?
Hi SleeplessGrouch! - Welcome

You are not the first to experience therapy like you described. In order to help, we request you do several things. You will need an SD card, SD card reader for your computer, and a free copy of OSCAR. You will need to have the SD card in your AS11 when you use it to record the detailed sleep data. If you forget and put it in after you sleep, you will only get summary data. . . We need to see the detailed data on your Daily screen.

To download OSCAR, either click on the name in the post, or use the link at the top of every page here. When you are ready to post your data, report back in this thread and further instructions will be provided. You can also peruse the links in my signature for more information.

I forgot to mention that the MyAir app does not provide any useful information of your therapy.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Agreed, this is typical.

However, there's things you can do that were obviously not being told to you. You have the right to self advocate your machine, mask, DME choices. If I don't have any say on what machine make and model or mask type, make, model I'm to rely on, I'm not a happy camper, and will likely get my hiking shoes on and go elsewhere.

Best to stay in-network on the DME supplier.

Here at Apnea Board we help you to advocate for yourself.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also got diagnosed recently - I did an at home test (type 3 - best for only catching severe sleep apnea and severe insomnia) and then did an in lab study. In Lab study will tell you about other sleep disorders also like Insomnia, work related sleep problems, restless leg syndrome, Narcolepsy, Parasomnias (sleep walking/talking), Night terrors, etc.

I want you to record your sleep in a sleep log for 2 weeks to bring with you to doctor. Google one that includes your meds, caffeine consumption, stress/emotion at the time. 

The other option is Type 2 at Home Lab which will capture these other sleep disorders as well as sleep apnea. It's cheaper than in Lab but without being watched by a recorder in the lab room. 

Please understand that Insomnia needs CBT program which is more effective than medication. 
Other sleep disorders might need medication, light therapy, in addition to lifestyle change, nutrition change, and improving sleep hygiene. 

The CPAP only treats the sleep apnea but not other sleep disorders. It's very common to have comorbidity with other illnesses.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which is the most normal waveform? SingleH 9 293 03-26-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  My Resent Experience: Momsworry 3 153 03-23-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  erratic flow rate graph on ASV normal? jaredihnen 2 279 01-24-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: jaredihnen
  Frequent hiccups in flow rate. Normal? JulieK 19 1,742 11-28-2023, 11:56 PM
Last Post: PunchIt
  Any experience with paradoxical breathing? pezhead99 3 568 11-12-2023, 03:32 PM
Last Post: pezhead99
  Is this normal - no breath for over a minute? Pizzafoundry 12 896 10-16-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: Pizzafoundry
  [CPAP] Airsense P11 hose-dry function ends with loud burst - normal? jharuni 5 771 10-13-2023, 10:20 AM
Last Post: jharuni

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.