Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: AirFit N10
Humidifier: AirSense 10
CPAP Pressure: 8
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

AirFit N10 Nose irritation
I have just started using the ResMed AirFit N10 Nasal mask and am having trouble with soreness in the columella area between the nostril openings. It is very raw to the touch and the mask seems to pull upwards on the nose piece causing pressure one the entire lower part of the nose. No adjustment of the straps alleviates the pressure.

I have tried small bits of tape (or band-aid) to cover the area but it pulls the skin off when I attempt to remove the tape in the morning. I am planning to use paper tape that won't have as tough of adhesive tonight.

I've seen others use Lanolin in the area, and am wondering if it might damage the rubber of the inner soft part of the N10?

I love the lightness of the N10 and am happy other than wearing it for more than four hours is painful.

Any suggestions would be great.
01-27-2016 04:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

RE: AirFit N10 Nose irritation
Hi wildhorsesfilm,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
HPA Lanolin cream is good because it doesn’t have any petroleum in it.
The mask manufacturers recommend that you use creams without petroleum in them because it can break down the silicon in the masks.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.

trish6hundred
01-27-2016 05:10 PM
OpalRose Offline

Monitors

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto 560 with A Flex
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 For Her
Humidifier: REMStar heated humidifier with heated hose
CPAP Pressure: Auto Cpap 10-13 AFLEX 1
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Started CPAP Therapy October 23, 2014

Sex: Female

Hi wildhorsesfilm,
Is it possible your nasal mask is too small and is rubbing on that part of your nose?
You don't say what size you are wearing, but try one size up.

Also, important that the straps are not too tight. If the nasal piece is pulling up, losses the strap a little.

Just know that there are many different masks out there. If you have a trial period, talk to your DME, and try a different size or mask.

OpalRose
01-27-2016 05:15 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Possum Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Airsense Autoset A10
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: (included in CPAP model)
CPAP Pressure: 8-12
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Innovo CMS-50F+ pulse oximeter

I used the N10 for about 2 months until switching to the P10 nasal pillow and had similar issues. I was able to relieve the pressure on the bottom of my nose by ensuring the straps were loose enough - you should be able to fit two fingers between the straps and your face (helpful tip from my DME during the fitting). This allows room for the nasal cushion to inflate and rest gently on your face. Lanolin-based lotion is also effective at reducing irritation, but I did not care for the feel of it - too thick and heavy.

If you're still not happy with the N10, I STRONGLY recommend trying the P10 nasal pillow. It made a night and day difference in my therapy comfort level. You hardly even realize it's there with the minimalist head gear and light weight of the mask itself.
01-27-2016 05:26 PM
wildhorsesfilm Offline

Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10

Other Comments:

(01-27-2016 05:15 PM)OpalRose Wrote:  Hi wildhorsesfilm,
Is it possible your nasal mask is too small and is rubbing on that part of your nose?
You don't say what size you are wearing, but try one size up.

Also, important that the straps are not too tight. If the nasal piece is pulling up, losses the strap a little.

Just know that there are many different masks out there. If you have a trial period, talk to your DME, and try a different size or mask.

OpalRose,
Thank you for the suggestions. This mask has Average and Wide. Not sure the wide would work 'cause my schnoz ain't that wide. But anything is worth a try...!
01-27-2016 05:29 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
wildhorsesfilm Offline

Members

Other Comments:

(01-27-2016 05:26 PM)Possum Wrote:  I used the N10 for about 2 months until switching to the P10 nasal pillow and had similar issues. I was able to relieve the pressure on the bottom of my nose by ensuring the straps were loose enough - you should be able to fit two fingers between the straps and your face (helpful tip from my DME during the fitting). This allows room for the nasal cushion to inflate and rest gently on your face. Lanolin-based lotion is also effective at reducing irritation, but I did not care for the feel of it - too thick and heavy.

If you're still not happy with the N10, I STRONGLY recommend trying the P10 nasal pillow. It made a night and day difference in my therapy comfort level. You hardly even realize it's there with the minimalist head gear and light weight of the mask itself.
Possum,
Thank you for the fast response. I did nasal pillows in my test and hated it.
01-27-2016 05:33 PM
Mr. Van Winkle Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Eson
Humidifier: Airsense
CPAP Pressure: 9 -15
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments:

(01-27-2016 04:47 PM)wildhorsesfilm Wrote:  I have just started using the ResMed AirFit N10 Nasal mask and am having trouble with soreness in the columella area between the nostril openings. It is very raw to the touch and the mask seems to pull upwards on the nose piece causing pressure one the entire lower part of the nose. No adjustment of the straps alleviates the pressure.

I have tried small bits of tape (or band-aid) to cover the area but it pulls the skin off when I attempt to remove the tape in the morning. I am planning to use paper tape that won't have as tough of adhesive tonight.

I've seen others use Lanolin in the area, and am wondering if it might damage the rubber of the inner soft part of the N10?

I love the lightness of the N10 and am happy other than wearing it for more than four hours is painful.

I started my therapy with the same mask, I really tried hard to like it but just couldn't make the correct connection .
So I asked my DME what else I could try , She gave me a F&P Eson mask and that did the trick, I like it so well it's hard for me to even want to try some thing else.
Good Luck!
Keep trying it's all about comfort!
Sleep-well
01-29-2016 09:50 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
wildhorsesfilm Offline

Members

Other Comments:

(01-29-2016 09:50 PM)Mr. Van Winkle Wrote:  
(01-27-2016 04:47 PM)wildhorsesfilm Wrote:  I have just started using the ResMed AirFit N10 Nasal mask and am having trouble with soreness in the columella area between the nostril openings. It is very raw to the touch and the mask seems to pull upwards on the nose piece causing pressure one the entire lower part of the nose. No adjustment of the straps alleviates the pressure.

I started my therapy with the same mask, I really tried hard to like it but just couldn't make the correct connection .
So I asked my DME what else I could try , She gave me a F&P Eson mask and that did the trick, I like it so well it's hard for me to even want to try some thing else.
Good Luck!
Sleep-well

You helped me immensely! I tried a full face mask. That didn't work so I went back today and tried the Eson mask and that I think is gonna do the trick! Thanks for the suggestion.
02-02-2016 01:40 PM
wildhorsesfilm Offline

Members

Other Comments:

(02-02-2016 01:40 PM)wildhorsesfilm Wrote:  
(01-29-2016 09:50 PM)Mr. Van Winkle Wrote:  

Good Luck!
Sleep-well

You helped me immensely! I tried a full face mask. That didn't work so I went back today and tried the Eson mask and that I think is gonna do the trick! Thanks for the suggestion.
Used the Eson mask last night and am very happy. Thank you for the recommendation!
02-03-2016 11:16 AM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Airfit F20 car54 5 159 Yesterday 06:33 AM
Last Post: 49er
  New Resmed AirFit F20, & N20 Masks gjw 24 2,827 12-04-2016 12:19 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
  Question for Airfit F10 Users PaytonA 2 192 12-03-2016 05:29 PM
Last Post: PsychoMike
  airfit P10 sore nose duece12345 12 671 12-03-2016 09:46 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirFit P10 Headgear Clips gjw 22 753 11-19-2016 12:11 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
  sore nose Shirl 4 250 11-15-2016 05:06 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  AHI index has taken a nose dive the past month pdbabb66 32 1,370 11-09-2016 05:58 PM
Last Post: pdbabb66