Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AirFit N20 problems
AirFit N20 problems
Pleased that you're still here guys.  I joined in 2014 but haven't been back.  When I look at my profile I see that at that time I had the Aptiva mask.  That's probably why I haven't been back.

I've had a machine for over 20 years now and the Aptiva was and is THE best mask in my experience.  Parts are getting hard to find however so yesterday I bought a new mask - the ResMed AirFit N20.  I have had so much confidence in ResMed that I didn't even bother researching or testing as I was confident that this product would be as good or better (if possible) than the Aptiva.

I tried it last night.  Big problems.  It only worked for me when sleeping on my back which I seldom do.  When on my side the rigid nature of the frame caused the cushion to dislodge from my nose.

Also, I am on a pressure of 14 and it is possible to feel the air pumping out of the mask up to half a metre away.

Is there something that I'm not understanding here?  Do I need more practice with this N20 or are these known issues?

Some wisdom required please?
Compliant since 1999
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AirFit N20 problems
I just noticed that there is a sizing guide inside the mask box. When I place that against my nose it seems that I need the Small Size instead of the Large.

At the CPAP shop they just asked me what size my Aptiva is, which is large, and based on that sold me a Large AirFit - maybe that's the problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-07-2020, 01:07 AM)johnno Wrote: At the CPAP shop they just asked me what size my Aptiva is, which is large, and based on that sold me a Large AirFit - maybe that's the problem.

Wow...  Oh-jeez
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
I’ve had 3 of these. Last time I used the fit gauge. It said Medium. I had had 2 Large ones...my numbers improved using the medium mask. Generally I have very little leakage
Mine works better when I sleep on my back; I can sleep on my side.

I now use a hose reel so my hose doesn’t tug on my mask when I roll

My pressure setting is the same as yours
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
BTW. I had a bump on my nostril removed. So the smaller size was better.
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
My story. I can only speak from my experience with this mask.

No 2 of us are the same. What works for me may not work for you

I find DME’s make quick judgement calls. In my case, they seem to have a few favourite masks. They seldom use fit gauges. They will fit a trial mask in the shop. I buy a new one and it’s in a sealed bag. I take it home, inbox it, and fit it as I’ve done for years.

I typically over tighten the headgear and may cause the mask seal to collapse.

How are you doing now?

Consider using OSCAR and showing us your results
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
I've been compliant for 21 years.

I took the mask in yesterday.  I told them that I hadn't worn it in case they refused to consider a change.

I told them that when I opened the box I found the size template, measured myself with that, and then based on those results decided that the large size seemed to be too big and I probably needed a medium size.

They disagreed. They hooked me up to their test machine with the large size mask and I lay down on back and sides for a few minutes.  Apparently the machine said the mask was a good fit and there we are.  I didn't experience any leaks.

I'll try it again tonight.  Apparently they will swap it for me if I have a problem tonight.

I've tried to attach a photo of my nose with the template in the interests of science but apparently I have to have posted at least 4 posts before the system accepts images.  So if it isn't there that's why.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried it last night.  The CPAP report looks OK but I woke up more than usual and it didn't feel as soft and comfortable as the Aptiva.  The 'rigid' frame may take some getting used to.  When there is a leak it is that deep sonorous tone on my cheek.

Thank you for suggesting OSCAR.  I have loaded my data into OSCAR.  How do I share that with you?

Also, I need to update my Machine and Mask Type in my profile for the forum. It doesn't look like I can edit that myself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Tried again last night with the N20. Had to switch back to the Aptiva about 2 am. Mask leaks onto my cheek.
Compliant since 1999
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is a link to help you update your profile.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/misc.ph...help&hid=2

Also, see the Mask Primer link below in my signature line.

And to post a Screenshot of the daily page and post chart here; use the links below to guide you.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 46 2,988 3 hours ago
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,558 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,003 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,969 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 297 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.