Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AirFit P-10 headgear issues
Gross 
AirFit P-10 headgear issues
I have been using an AirFit P-10 since I got my new s9 machine almost a year ago. While I love the mask and the way it diffuses the exhaled air I am having issues with the headgear. Now mind you, I am on medicare and when I call to get new supplies every three months I do not get a "complete" new mask system. I only get "parts" of the mask system and have to wait until the next quarter to get the remaining mask parts. This is where the P10 headgear is a problem. The elasticity in the head gear does not last 6 months, which is the internal I must wait to get new headgear. When I start with a new headgear I have great AHI readings but as time goes on the readings get worse and worse. The last time I use the P10 with the headgear I had my readings were in the 20's. I have washed the headgear, hung it out to dry and for a day or so the readings are good and then they go to hell again. I am now using one of my Swift FX masks and the readings are good. The problem with the FX is the air diffuser. It not only bothers me in the night but bothers my wife as well.

Has anyone else had this ongoing problem and what if anything did they do to fix it? I have considered sewing velcro strips to the bands that go over and behind the head so the tension could be adjusted but have not given it a try yet. Any suggestions.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AirFit P-10 headgear issues
(10-26-2015, 04:48 PM)woodcarver Wrote: I have been using an AirFit P-10 since I got my new s9 machine almost a year ago. While I love the mask and the way it diffuses the exhaled air I am having issues with the headgear. Now mind you, I am on medicare and when I call to get new supplies every three months I do not get a "complete" new mask system. I only get "parts" of the mask system and have to wait until the next quarter to get the remaining mask parts. This is where the P10 headgear is a problem. The elasticity in the head gear does not last 6 months, which is the internal I must wait to get new headgear. When I start with a new headgear I have great AHI readings but as time goes on the readings get worse and worse. The last time I use the P10 with the headgear I had my readings were in the 20's. I have washed the headgear, hung it out to dry and for a day or so the readings are good and then they go to hell again. I am now using one of my Swift FX masks and the readings are good. The problem with the FX is the air diffuser. It not only bothers me in the night but bothers my wife as well.

Has anyone else had this ongoing problem and what if anything did they do to fix it? I have considered sewing velcro strips to the bands that go over and behind the head so the tension could be adjusted but have not given it a try yet. Any suggestions.

I just went through this with my provider and insurance company but unfortunately got nowhere. I find it absolutely ridiculous that they won't replace the headgear every 3, instead of 6, months. First of all, this piece is very poorly made and the one "skid mark" on the design of an otherwise perfect mask. Second, it's not adjustable, which is outrageous! With a couple of simple, cheap velcro hooks on either end, they could have dramatically improved this design.

The only solution I've found is washing and drying the strap on the delicate cycle, but that is still a temporary improvement. I suggest biting the bullet and purchasing a new strap. My provider quoted me $35, which is also ridiculous, but therapy is too important to be hindered by stretched-out, ineffective head gear, and we're already getting deep discounts on the other parts. I also suggest writing to ResMed's online suggestion email box. Maybe if enough of us complain about the headgear, they will make it adjustable in a future model.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't attempt to order just the headgear, because once you do that and then try to order a new mask every 3 months, Medicare won't pay for that complete mask because you already ordered a headgear prior. So they will cover only the parts of the mask you didn't previously order.

Medicare replacement schedule is a complete mask every 3 months. Headgear every 6 months.

The secret is to know how and when to order. Wait for the 3 months is up to order a complete mask. This way you have your headgear included.

Another problem is that the DME will breakdown that mask for billing purposes. They bill headgear, pillows separate even though you ordered a complete mask.

I know that if my headgear feels loose, I just wash it in hot water and hang to dry.

Worn out nasal pillows affect my leak rate more than problems with the headgear.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My first strap stretched badly and hand washing didn't bring it back anymore. So since it was unusable I tried machine washing and drying in the tumble drier.
That reduced the length by almost 4" and made it usable again.
Post Reply Post Reply
I ended up removing the headgear of another mask. My wife used the velcros to construct a completely new piece of headgear for the P10. I now have a band across my forehead (adjustable with velcro), one around the back of my head, (again adjustable with velcro) and the straps leading (from the side of my head) to the nasal pillows are also adjustable. Finally I tied a strap that fits over the nose bridge to lift the nasal pillows in higher position when needed. It's now super adjustable and last night, after a week of misery, I finally had a wonderful rest without leaks. My apap does not detect these, but I woke up knowing I had problems (there clearly were leaks from the pillows). After a week of this I woke feeling like I ran a marathon, as I did before using apap. We adjusted the gear before but the fabric that comes with the P10 is so stretchable it gives massively after a few months. She had to sew extra pieces over it to prevent that from happening again. The headgear of the P10 is a disaster in my view, cutting corners, but the mask is brilliant.

I woke full of energy this morning. In the end you need to just keep working at it till you get what works for you.

Before APAP: [Image: DARTH-VADER_zpsa57946df.png]

After APAP: See avatar: R2D2 for the win!

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle"
--Ian Maclaren

I don't snore! I just make creepy noises so the aliens know I'm not someone to be messed with.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi woodcarver,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Wash it and dry in in the dryer. Works great for me my first headgear lasted just over 1 year that way.
For free Medicare assistance for your state check out this page. http://www.seniorsresourceguide.com/dire...onal/SHIP/
or here http://www.medicareinteractive.org/
Post Reply Post Reply
Many thanks to all who have responded to my post. All have given great advice. I did write a letter to RESMED about the headgear but have not heard back yet. I have one new complete mask I have not opened. I can order supplies again on the 2nd of November. I will order and when it comes in I am going to cut the two strips that go around the top and back of the head and insert velcro strips so there will be some adjustment available. If this works out I will take photos and post so others may do the same if they wish. As others have said, the mask itself is a great mask and Medicare sends me enough new pillows to last a lifetime. My 5 year old great granddaughter could come up with a better design for the strap. Maybe I will surf the internet and see if I can find a afordable price to buy new straps. Will let everyone know. Have a great day.
Post Reply Post Reply
if washing/drying doesnt work...
next time you get one, get the "for her" which in spite of resmed's denials seems to be consistently 1" shorter
also, you could shorten the strap on the current one

mine stays fine for ages. I have 3 of them I alternate between (and another on the way) since I get a new one every 3 mo, and none of them are unuseable.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, the headgear is lousy, there are clips that came with a new order recently, they came right off! I am thinking about cutting the straps and overlapping then sowing them back together.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 20 1,452 Yesterday, 06:47 PM
Last Post: mecutl3r
  How to remedy issues during lighter sleep period, 3 AM-7 AM rosebladepat 0 85 03-15-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,780 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Airsense 10 Issues cgries2448 0 128 03-09-2024, 03:31 PM
Last Post: cgries2448
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,541 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  issues during REM sleep... ifsmithy 5 194 03-04-2024, 12:09 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  After major surgery Issues DANNOGA 5 236 02-26-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.