Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AirFit P10 nasal mask fitting problems
RE: AirFit P10 nasal mask fitting problems
I don't particularly expect to ever have a completely "leak-less" night as much as I can toss and turn - but as long as I am within the acceptable threshold for leaks, I'm pleased. I actually don't have a huge leak problem. As Webbie mentioned above, I've also found I keep the hose under the covers with me as well, but can't honestly say if that's keeping my leaks down, but it just seems more "comfortable". It's funny some mornings I'm actually holding onto the hose, cradled in my arm like a security blanket LOL!

Still loving my P10's - staying with my Mediums (fitted for XS) for the same reason as retired_guy.... that whole "easier to breathe" thing because the openings are bigger!
Sandy
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-25-2014, 12:47 PM)SandysSpot Wrote: I don't particularly expect to ever have a completely "leak-less" night as much as I can toss and turn - but as long as I am within the acceptable threshold for leaks, I'm pleased. I actually don't have a huge leak problem. As Webbie mentioned above, I've also found I keep the hose under the covers with me as well, but can't honestly say if that's keeping my leaks down, but it just seems more "comfortable". It's funny some mornings I'm actually holding onto the hose, cradled in my arm like a security blanket LOL!

Still loving my P10's - staying with my Mediums (fitted for XS) for the same reason as retired_guy.... that whole "easier to breathe" thing because the openings are bigger!

I agree with you too Sandy. I worry when someone actually does report zero leaks. I think they well may be tightening their mask too much. That could result in short or long term ouchies. (I know, I know-- I keep using those medical terms)

As to sleeping with the hose under the covers: The other benefit of doing that (especially if you are using the non-climateline sorts of hoses) is it helps reduce the possibility of getting a nose full of water due to condensation in the hose. Or, as we whom prefer medical terms might say, "self-induced waterboarding."

As to the hose being something nice to cuddle up with? Nah, not so much. But it's ok.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wish I could get into my photobucket account and post a pic of my homegrown hose buddy system. Cost me all of 30 cents...
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi again, could y'all take a look at this? This is from last night. My AHI is better, but the leaks are getting crazy. I'm using the lanolin on my nose and I thought it was helping --- the few nights I've used it, I've not been awakened much by the mask moving. But apparently it is moving anyway. Lots of leaks.

So, do I stress about the leaks if the AHI looks good? Although the AHI has been above 5 for the most part; yesterday it was 11.

I just need some advice from the pros . . . .

AHI 4.72 6.97
Obstructive Apnea Index 4.56 5.71
Hypopnea Index 0.00 0.08
Clear Airway Apnea Index 0.16 1.18
Leak Statistics
Average Leak Rate 10.78 4.27
90% Leak Rate 31.20 13.20
% of time above Leak Rate threshold 13.40% 0.51%
Pressure Statistics
Average EPAP 6.86 7.16
Min EPAP 5.00 4.02
Max EPAP 10.20 11.00
Average IPAP 10.86 11.43
90% IPAP 13.04 13.88
Min IPAP 9.00 8.14
Max IPAP 14.20 15.00
Post Reply Post Reply
First, I am not a pro but here goes.

Your leaks do not look terribly bad. High leakage can have an effect on the machines ability to detect apnea events. I would not stress about it. Just work on the leaks. Could you be mouth breathing/leaking? Maybe it is not the mask. Do you use a chin strap? If not, it might be time to try one.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Clementine, I am a faithful P10 user and was having the same problems as you in the last few weeks.
The forum advised me to obtain a chinstrap which I did and started to notice a difference in my leak results almost immediately.
Was good for a short while and then started to play up again.
I was alternating between three different pillows.
Anyway last night, I went to bed with one, could not settle, put a second one in, that leaked also, so I wasn't even going to be bother trying the third one.
I just got up went and opened a brand new one put it in, bingo!
My AHI was 1.82 and leaks were 6.00.
I know 6 is not fantastic but compared to what they have been the last few days 6 is great.
Also some of these leaks still could have come from my mouth even though I do wear a chinstrap, I have noticed my mouth being open of late.
Looks like I will have to tighten it as I had loosened it a few days back.
I have to say I feel like I am strung up at night with it on and not very comfortable.
But we have to do what we have to do.

Anyway the long and the short of it Clementine, maybe try a chinstrap or wash or change your pillow.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi. I use the same nasal mask as you and oddly enough my leak rate is exactly as yours 5.18. I think I may have the same problem. I use the small. But the respiratory therapist said to use the medium but when I did it,seemed a little large. I would never consider the large size cause it would be outside my nostrils. However when the therapist was at my house and I tipped my head back while using the mask he said my nostrils flared out and the larger size seemed to work. So it is hard to tell what size works until trying it, I guess.
Don't have a good answer except that I think the leak rate of 5.18 is ok.
One more thing, I have been using this mask for a month and the band is really stretched out which I think makes the nasal things fall out a little.
I ordered a second mask and I am going to wash the old band while using the new one. Unfortunately this band ( headgear) is not so adjustable if you have a small head. ( a loose band can make leaks too.)
Unfortunately,I have not found a replacement band to buy for this nasal mask. It's too bad because this band stretches so much!
Kimberly from HonoluluSleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
FYI, You can get a new headgear for the P10 from any of several suppliers. The price is $25 on all that I have ever seen. I favor Supplier #18 but others have it too.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been known to have runs of essentially leak-free nights, average 0, 95% 0 or near 0, and even max at 15 or less -- using a P10.

(Not lately however -- since my hip replacement surgery for whatever reasons. BTW: I have been off all narcotics and even NSAIDs for a couple of weeks, surgery was 4 1/2 weeks ago.)
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-20-2014, 07:05 PM)herbm Wrote: I have been known to have runs of essentially leak-free nights, average 0, 95% 0 or near 0, and even max at 15 or less -- using a P10.

(Not lately however -- since my hip replacement surgery for whatever reasons. BTW: I have been off all narcotics and even NSAIDs for a couple of weeks, surgery was 4 1/2 weeks ago.)

WTG Herbm, I also had a hip replacement and was off all drugs by 3 weeks.
How did you manage your sleep apnea in the hospital? I will be having my other hip done sometime in the near future. With the first hip I was not on cpap.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 50 3,189 3 hours ago
Last Post: car54
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,577 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 99 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,010 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 322 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,980 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,080 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.