Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: ResMed Heated S9 Elite
CPAP Pressure: Auto
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

AirFit P10 vent blocked?
My vents seem to have some kind of coating on them preventing air from escaping.

I can disconnect the mask tube from from the heated line tube, plug the hole at the end of the mask tube, put on the mask and blow air into it and almost no air moves out of the mask-next to nothing comes from the exhalation ports.

When disconnected from the machine and the hose end plugged I need to blow hard enough to blow up a balloon. It was not like this when I got it.

Any one else have this problem or a solution?

Thanks.
06-09-2014 02:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PollCat Offline
Apnea Board Polling Administrator
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Humidifier: H5i Cleanable with ClimateLine
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 18

Other Comments: CPAP-ing since 1995; Type 2 Diabetes; Chronic Asthma; Gout

RE: Resmed AirFit P10
Welcome , Scott. Please fill out the user profile so that we know what kind of equipment you are using. Also, how long have you had the current machine, hose, etc?

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
06-09-2014 04:09 PM
scott1965 Offline

Members

Other Comments:

RE: Resmed AirFit P10 vent problem
(06-09-2014 02:13 PM)scott1965 Wrote:  My vents seem to have some kind of coating on them preventing air from escaping.

I can disconnect the mask tube from from the heated line tube, plug the hole at the end of the mask tube, put on the mask and blow air into it and almost no air moves out of the mask-next to nothing comes from the exhalation ports.

When disconnected from the machine and the hose end plugged I need to blow hard enough to blow up a balloon. It was not like this when I got it.

Any one else have this problem or a solution?

Thanks.

OK. Okay I'm using the Resmed AirFit P10 mask, S9 Autoset, Heated S9 Elite.

I've had this unit for a month. It worked fine until I went to see the tech for an adjustment and now I am having the problem I described above.

On the phone today she said it is fine but I disagree. The vents in the mask are letting no air out. After five minutes with it on, working hard to exhale I start to feel like I need O2. She could not remember if she put a new mask on it. Thinking-about Thanks
06-09-2014 04:54 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

You can wash the mask in warm water if you wish. Air does diffuse so completely that sometimes I wonder if it's coming out. But it is, or the mask would fill up and take off across the room. What pillows are you using? If the small or medium, try moving up a size. What is your pressure running at?
06-09-2014 07:41 PM
scott1965 Offline

Members

Other Comments:

(06-09-2014 07:41 PM)retired_guy Wrote:  You can wash the mask in warm water if you wish. Air does diffuse so completely that sometimes I wonder if it's coming out. But it is, or the mask would fill up and take off across the room. What pillows are you using? If the small or medium, try moving up a size. What is your pressure running at?

The mask is clean. I use medium pillows. Large is too large. Pressure runs 7-12. There is a clear film of some sort blocking the vent holes preventing air escape. It's a very uniform film, like it is from the factory. I can't remove it. The mask doesn't take off across the room but my exhaling goes back down the tube to be re-breathed.
06-10-2014 08:32 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
herbm Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed AutoSet S9
Mask Type: Oral
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Airfit P10 Nasal Pillow
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 11-16
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Backup Mask: Innomed Hybrid FFM -- Oral+Nasal Pillows

Film?

So if you put your fingers about 1 inch from the exhaust vents while the machine is on you feel nothing?

The air if almost fully diffuse (i.e., there is no appreciable stream) by about 4 inches.

If this is the case and you perceive a film then likely it is covered by some sort of protective (shipping?) film or some artifact of the manufacturing process that was never removed.

If so, and you cannot remove it easily then return it as defective.

Mine did NOT ship with such a film. I am hoping to receive a new one any day now (but it's been on backorder a couple of weeks) so I will check carefully when it arrives.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
06-10-2014 09:23 AM
scott1965 Offline

Members

Other Comments:

(06-10-2014 09:23 AM)herbm Wrote:  Film?

So if you put your fingers about 1 inch from the exhaust vents while the machine is on you feel nothing?

The air if almost fully diffuse (i.e., there is no appreciable stream) by about 4 inches.

If this is the case and you perceive a film then likely it is covered by some sort of protective (shipping?) film or some artifact of the manufacturing process that was never removed.

If so, and you cannot remove it easily then return it as defective.

Mine did NOT ship with such a film. I am hoping to receive a new one any day now (but it's been on backorder a couple of weeks) so I will check carefully when it arrives.

That is correct, it is a plastic, unremoveable film, and i can feel no air exiting the vents. I have an appt. on Thursday to have it looked at and will report back. I think it's an artifact of manufacturing. It appears to be a rare issue.

The picture shows the item. The other side has one also but it's larger. I cannot remove them. They block 95% of the mesh.

06-10-2014 10:01 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
diamaunt Offline

Members-b

Machine: S9 VPAP Auto 36006
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: mirage quattro/pilairo q
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 9-20ish

Other Comments:

(06-09-2014 07:41 PM)retired_guy Wrote:  . Air does diffuse so completely that sometimes I wonder if it's coming out. But it is, or the mask would fill up and take off across the room.

that's not at all correct, given that the cpap pushes air enough to maintain a set pressure, so if the mask isn't venting, the cpap will *still* maintain the set pressure against the blockage.
06-10-2014 10:15 PM
diamaunt Offline

Members-b

Machine: S9 VPAP Auto 36006
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: mirage quattro/pilairo q
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 9-20ish

Other Comments:

RE: Resmed AirFit P10 vent problem
(06-09-2014 04:54 PM)scott1965 Wrote:  I've had this unit for a month. It worked fine until I went to see the tech for an adjustment and now I am having the problem I described above.

have you tried cleaning it, inside and out, with warm soapy water and a toothbrush (or other bristle brush) then drying the vents?

unfortunately, the s9 series only shows excess leaks, after it figures out what the leak rate of your mask is (takes a few breaths, you can watch the display).

you could block up the nose holes and hold the mask just under the water and see if it's blowing lots of bubbles...

but, I'd try the cleaning first.

there's videos on youtube about how to clean 'em.
06-10-2014 10:21 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
kderevan Offline

Preferred Members

Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 10-20

Other Comments:

Sex: Female
RE: AirFit P10 vent blocked?
That looks exactly right. I just now inspected my Airfit P10 and it has that same plastic. It is a micro-mesh material that keeps the exhaust from being felt more than a couple of inches away. It's why I love the Airfit P10. I switched to it because my other mask was always blowing on my arm or somewhere, making a noise and keeping me awake.

Kathi D.
06-10-2014 11:36 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  New Resmed AirFit F20, & N20 Masks gjw 25 3,128 12-08-2016 07:09 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Airfit F20 car54 5 234 12-07-2016 06:33 AM
Last Post: 49er
  Question for Airfit F10 Users PaytonA 2 223 12-03-2016 05:29 PM
Last Post: PsychoMike
  airfit P10 sore nose duece12345 12 720 12-03-2016 09:46 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirFit P10 Headgear Clips gjw 22 790 11-19-2016 12:11 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
Question CA's, Mask type, and leaks/vent Rcgop 10 380 11-15-2016 03:02 PM
Last Post: robysue
  Airfit P10 love but need something else Chrstauffe 80 9,028 11-07-2016 05:55 PM
Last Post: Gabby