Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AirFit P10 vent blocked?
AirFit P10 vent blocked?
My vents seem to have some kind of coating on them preventing air from escaping.

I can disconnect the mask tube from from the heated line tube, plug the hole at the end of the mask tube, put on the mask and blow air into it and almost no air moves out of the mask-next to nothing comes from the exhalation ports.

When disconnected from the machine and the hose end plugged I need to blow hard enough to blow up a balloon. It was not like this when I got it.

Any one else have this problem or a solution?

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed AirFit P10
Welcome , Scott. Please fill out the user profile so that we know what kind of equipment you are using. Also, how long have you had the current machine, hose, etc?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed AirFit P10 vent problem
(06-09-2014, 02:13 PM)scott1965 Wrote: My vents seem to have some kind of coating on them preventing air from escaping.

I can disconnect the mask tube from from the heated line tube, plug the hole at the end of the mask tube, put on the mask and blow air into it and almost no air moves out of the mask-next to nothing comes from the exhalation ports.

When disconnected from the machine and the hose end plugged I need to blow hard enough to blow up a balloon. It was not like this when I got it.

Any one else have this problem or a solution?

Thanks.

OK. Okay I'm using the Resmed AirFit P10 mask, S9 Autoset, Heated S9 Elite.

I've had this unit for a month. It worked fine until I went to see the tech for an adjustment and now I am having the problem I described above.

On the phone today she said it is fine but I disagree. The vents in the mask are letting no air out. After five minutes with it on, working hard to exhale I start to feel like I need O2. She could not remember if she put a new mask on it. Thinking-about Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
You can wash the mask in warm water if you wish. Air does diffuse so completely that sometimes I wonder if it's coming out. But it is, or the mask would fill up and take off across the room. What pillows are you using? If the small or medium, try moving up a size. What is your pressure running at?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-09-2014, 07:41 PM)retired_guy Wrote: You can wash the mask in warm water if you wish. Air does diffuse so completely that sometimes I wonder if it's coming out. But it is, or the mask would fill up and take off across the room. What pillows are you using? If the small or medium, try moving up a size. What is your pressure running at?

The mask is clean. I use medium pillows. Large is too large. Pressure runs 7-12. There is a clear film of some sort blocking the vent holes preventing air escape. It's a very uniform film, like it is from the factory. I can't remove it. The mask doesn't take off across the room but my exhaling goes back down the tube to be re-breathed.

Post Reply Post Reply
Film?

So if you put your fingers about 1 inch from the exhaust vents while the machine is on you feel nothing?

The air if almost fully diffuse (i.e., there is no appreciable stream) by about 4 inches.

If this is the case and you perceive a film then likely it is covered by some sort of protective (shipping?) film or some artifact of the manufacturing process that was never removed.

If so, and you cannot remove it easily then return it as defective.

Mine did NOT ship with such a film. I am hoping to receive a new one any day now (but it's been on backorder a couple of weeks) so I will check carefully when it arrives.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-10-2014, 09:23 AM)herbm Wrote: Film?

So if you put your fingers about 1 inch from the exhaust vents while the machine is on you feel nothing?

The air if almost fully diffuse (i.e., there is no appreciable stream) by about 4 inches.

If this is the case and you perceive a film then likely it is covered by some sort of protective (shipping?) film or some artifact of the manufacturing process that was never removed.

If so, and you cannot remove it easily then return it as defective.

Mine did NOT ship with such a film. I am hoping to receive a new one any day now (but it's been on backorder a couple of weeks) so I will check carefully when it arrives.

That is correct, it is a plastic, unremoveable film, and i can feel no air exiting the vents. I have an appt. on Thursday to have it looked at and will report back. I think it's an artifact of manufacturing. It appears to be a rare issue.

The picture shows the item. The other side has one also but it's larger. I cannot remove them. They block 95% of the mesh.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-09-2014, 07:41 PM)retired_guy Wrote: . Air does diffuse so completely that sometimes I wonder if it's coming out. But it is, or the mask would fill up and take off across the room.

that's not at all correct, given that the cpap pushes air enough to maintain a set pressure, so if the mask isn't venting, the cpap will *still* maintain the set pressure against the blockage.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed AirFit P10 vent problem
(06-09-2014, 04:54 PM)scott1965 Wrote: I've had this unit for a month. It worked fine until I went to see the tech for an adjustment and now I am having the problem I described above.

have you tried cleaning it, inside and out, with warm soapy water and a toothbrush (or other bristle brush) then drying the vents?

unfortunately, the s9 series only shows excess leaks, after it figures out what the leak rate of your mask is (takes a few breaths, you can watch the display).

you could block up the nose holes and hold the mask just under the water and see if it's blowing lots of bubbles...

but, I'd try the cleaning first.

there's videos on youtube about how to clean 'em.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AirFit P10 vent blocked?
That looks exactly right. I just now inspected my Airfit P10 and it has that same plastic. It is a micro-mesh material that keeps the exhaust from being felt more than a couple of inches away. It's why I love the Airfit P10. I switched to it because my other mask was always blowing on my arm or somewhere, making a noise and keeping me awake.
Kathi D.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 20 1,456 03-17-2024, 06:47 PM
Last Post: mecutl3r
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,783 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,541 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 268 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  [Equipment] Hybrid mask discontinued, new AirFit 30 leaks! LessSleepyHalf 3 946 02-18-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  ResMed Airfit P10 ScottW 41 20,078 02-12-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: TexasDon
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 19 4,324 01-26-2024, 11:44 PM
Last Post: JoeP

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.