Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AirFit P10 vent blocked?
RE: AirFit P10 vent blocked?
(04-13-2015, 08:08 PM)archangle Wrote:
(04-13-2015, 01:09 PM)bburch5721 Wrote: So disappointed as I love the way the P10 fits and feels. But, since I started using it 2 months ago it has felt like my exhale doesn't vent and I was suffocating. Went back to feeling like before CPAP - extreme daytime exhaustion, anxiety and depression. Finally had an episode of chest pain in the night. My AHI has been 0 throughout. Switched back to my old SwiftFx mask and I am back to normal. I tried blocked the end of the tube on the P10 while blowing in the nasal pillows - next to no air comes out of the vents. In fact when I inhaled it collapsed the tube. I think I have been just rebreathing while sleeping - that can't be good. Really did like the P10 fit, but not sure I want to purchase another one to see if the vent isn't blocked.

Welcome to the board!

Go here and tell us what CPAP machine you have. Depending on which machine you have, it might be able to tell you how much air your mask vents are venting.

You can also put on the mask, plug the hose port, and blow into it and see if the air comes out of the vent OK.

It is the information for the mask and the operating pressure that will tell you what air volume should be coming out the vent. there should be a table in the instructions that came with the mask that will give the vent flow at given pressures.

The chart is in your users guide and the vent flow goes from 20 liters/min at 4 cm H2O to 50 l/min at 20 cm H2O.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2015, 08:33 PM)PaytonA Wrote: It is the information for the mask and the operating pressure that will tell you what air volume should be coming out the vent. there should be a table in the instructions that came with the mask that will give the vent flow at given pressures.

bburch is concerned that the vent in his mask is blocked, not the designed vent rate.

If he's got a data capable PRS1 machine, it will tell him the actual vent rate during use.

If he's got a ResMed machine, he's out of luck on that count, since ResMed throws away the total leak rate data and only keeps the unintentional leak rate.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2015, 09:52 PM)archangle Wrote: bburch is concerned that the vent in his mask is blocked, not the designed vent rate.

If he's got a data capable PRS1 machine, it will tell him the actual vent rate during use.

How does the PRS1 do that? It was my impression that the PRS1 only concerned itself with total leak subtracted out a generalized vent rate to give an broad estimate of the unintentional leak.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
The PRS1 leak graphs show two lines. One is the total leak, and the second is the "unintentional leak". It stays at zero unless a higher leak rate is detected. The machine determines the baseline "design" leak pretty accurately.

Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,

Am going on eight months on the P10, with no issues. I checked this morning for blockage in the exhalation port. There was none. Also, SleepyHead report for last night showed 22-23 liters/minute intentional leak at 6 cm H2O pressure, 25 liters/minute intentional leak at 7 cm H20 pressure and 32 liters/minute at 8 cm H2O pressure. This is pretty consistent with the data provided by ResMed for the P10. They note that flows can vary from those published due to manufacturing (tolerance?) variations.

Just my two cents.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2015, 10:49 AM)PaytonA Wrote: How does the PRS1 do that? It was my impression that the PRS1 only concerned itself with total leak subtracted out a generalized vent rate to give an broad estimate of the unintentional leak.

No CPAP machine knows the actual unintentional or intentional leak rate. The only thing the machine can directly measure is the total leak rate. i.e. the rate of airflow coming out of the blower unit.

PRS1 machines dutifully report the actual total leak data.

ResMed machines go to a lot of trouble to try and figure out how much of the airflow is going out of the mask vents and subtracts this from the leak data to give you a reading of "unintentional leak."

That's a fine idea, but it's a serious design flaw to not record the total leak rate as well. If the mask vent is clogged or blocked, it has thrown away the data it already had that would point out this potentially dangerous condition.

I think PRS1 machines only record total leak data. SleepyHead shows an estimated unintentional leak, but it calculates this from total leak. Encore doesn't seem to report anything other than total leak.
Useful links.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2015, 12:40 PM)archangle Wrote: I think PRS1 machines only record total leak data. SleepyHead shows an estimated unintentional leak, but it calculates this from total leak. Encore doesn't seem to report anything other than total leak.

I agree with you completely but what does the total leak rate tell you about the vent rate?

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2015, 11:11 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: The PRS1 leak graphs show two lines. One is the total leak, and the second is the "unintentional leak". It stays at zero unless a higher leak rate is detected. The machine determines the baseline "design" leak pretty accurately.

I think that Archangle is correct - that Sleepyhead calculates the unintentional leak rate for PRS1 machines. The machine only provides total leak rate.

How would the PRS1 determine the "design" leak rate?

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2015, 02:04 PM)PaytonA Wrote:
(04-14-2015, 12:40 PM)archangle Wrote: I think PRS1 machines only record total leak data. SleepyHead shows an estimated unintentional leak, but it calculates this from total leak. Encore doesn't seem to report anything other than total leak.

I agree with you completely but what does the total leak rate tell you about the vent rate?

Put on the mask.

Turn on the PRS1 machine.

Make sure you don't have any leaks around the mask or out through your mouth. Let it run for several minutes. I think the PRS1 machines only record leak data every 2 minutes.

Turn off the PRS1 machine. Read the SD card with SleepyHead. Read the total leak rate from SleepyHead. That is the actual vent rate of YOUR mask at YOUR pressure.

If your vents are blocked, partially blocked, or defective, your mask will have the wrong vent rate/total leak rate as shown by SleepyHead. Look it up in the documentation for your mask.

Use the PRS1 machine for a regular night's sleep with CPAP. Look at the total leak rate. This is never less than your actual vent rate of your mask during your therapy. If this value is below the designed leak rate for your mask at that pressure, you have a vent rate problem with your mask.
Useful links.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2015, 02:08 PM)PaytonA Wrote:
(04-14-2015, 11:11 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: The PRS1 leak graphs show two lines. One is the total leak, and the second is the "unintentional leak". It stays at zero unless a higher leak rate is detected. The machine determines the baseline "design" leak pretty accurately.

I think that Archangle is correct - that Sleepyhead calculates the unintentional leak rate for PRS1 machines. The machine only provides total leak rate.

How would the PRS1 determine the "design" leak rate?

Best Regards,

PaytonA

The PRS1 reports total leak rate. That's shown in SleepyHead. The design leak rates vary by mask, and for a given mask vary depending on air pressure.

I'm not sure if the unintentional leak rate shown in SleepyHead is calculated by the PRS1 or by the software.

Are there folks out there who can report on where this comes from?

Bueller? Bueller?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 50 3,157 25 minutes ago
Last Post: car54
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,569 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,977 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 298 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  [Equipment] Hybrid mask discontinued, new AirFit 30 leaks! LessSleepyHalf 3 985 02-18-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  ResMed Airfit P10 ScottW 41 20,130 02-12-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: TexasDon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.