Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AirFit P10 vent blocked?
RE: AirFit P10 vent blocked?
Slept better last night with my modified P10. Feel pretty alert this morning. AHI was up a little to 2.14 but "0" clear Airway and "0" Obstructive. Hypopnea was at 2.14.

Just my opinion, I think that not only do you have to clean this thing daily but you do have an issue of the continuous air pressure deforming the mesh causing a reduction of air flow. With a new mask, you can clearly feel the air movement in front of the mesh. Not the same as what you have a month later even with regular cleanings.

The 4 safety pin size holes (very small safety pin, not one of the big ones) helped with the airflow and I have the comfort with the P10 mask.

Also found that I'm back to using more distilled water in the humidifier chamber. Thought something was up when I was using about a quarter tank. Now I'm back up to a little over 1/2 tank.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-11-2015, 05:22 AM)JimPap Wrote: Just my opinion, I think that not only do you have to clean this thing daily but you do have an issue of the continuous air pressure deforming the mesh causing a reduction of air flow. With a new mask, you can clearly feel the air movement in front of the mesh. Not the same as what you have a month later even with regular cleanings.

In my experience, it is preferable to completely avoid getting water on the vents, ever. Here's why. I received a brand new P10 frame from my DME supplier six weeks ago and have used it every night since without ever cleaning the frame. Sure, I clean the pillows every morning, and sometimes in the middle of the night if I am up, but I never clean the vents. And as far as I can tell the air flow through the vents is as strong as it was on the first night.

In contrast, the performance of my previous P10 frame, which I cleaned frequently, was totally unpredictable. Sometimes the vent flow seemed fine, other times not so much, and one night the vents appeared to be completely blocked and I could not breathe at all through the mask. That was the night I discovered that gently warming the mask with a hair dryer from a distance and allowing some time for water trapped in the micro-mesh vents to evaporate could restore the mask to normal operation. (Note that I did not try to blow hot air directly through the vents for fear of causing damage to the micro-mesh or other parts of the mask.) The presence or absence of water in the micro-mesh fabric could not be determined with the naked eye, but could be clearly seen under 14x magnification. See Post #38 in this thread for more details.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi everyone - following up on the P10 blockage thread -

I've been using my P10 for 3 months happily then the "blockage" started. My issues come from the water in my exhaled breath against the rising humidity in the room. Seems that for me that during the winter/early spring months when humidity is low the water vapor dries quickly at the vent, but as summer comes in and humidity rises in outside air the vents become clogged mid-evening no matter the cleaning or time of drying.

I have woken up in the night gasping, breathing hot CO2 air, taken off the mask, removed the pillows and placing my mouth over one of the vents sucked outwards and gathered a considerable amount of water (yuck), but at that point the vents are wet and (almost) non-permeable.

So....wondering if anyone else has had this? Any fixes other than cleaning the mask at 3AM and waiting for it to dry?

JimPap - how did your safety pin holes work?

Currently using a Resmed Swift Fx - wish I could combine the venting of the Swift with the pillows and headgear of the P10...
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-06-2015, 09:34 AM)CBELFORD Wrote: JimPap - how did your safety pin holes work?

Seems to have worked O.K. but I wasn't certain enough about having the right amount of holes to continue with it.

Since I had two more frames, what I decided to do was to soak them in a solution of baby shampoo and water. Then using a soft toothbrush (note: my first toothbrush was a little too firm) brush both sides of the mesh, then rinse and brush again while rinsing. They opened up to pass exhaled breath better the first go and and by the second, they seem to be back to original condition.

Something of a pain to do, but the current plan since I have two of them is to use a different one for each of two night and then do the washing routine. At least that way I'm only having to deal with it 3-4 times a week instead of all 7 days.

So basically, I'm following the manufacturer's recommendation. Its only worth it given how much more comfortable the P10s are over other mask I've tried.

Too bad they don't update the design with a few larger holes rather than a mesh to facilitate less frequent cleanings.
Post Reply Post Reply
Can we mail this thread to somebody at the company, to make sure they are aware of the issue, and our fairly scientific diagnosis of it? This seems a pretty severe problem.

And since this part of the mask -- the frame -- is deemed to need replacement only infrequently by DRMs (every 6 months by mine, whereas they feel I need a new nasal pillows every month) one is hesitant to experiment, and yet worried that it will clog up. I'm afraid to wash it now!

So I wash it only because the head strap needs to be re-shrunk to fit properly. Then I cross my fingers that the mesh won't give me problems.
Post Reply Post Reply
I clean the pillows but have not cleaned the mask frame. It's not ugly, and I don't have a problem after 6 months.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You don't find that the stretchy bands stretch too far out of shape? I do. I was getting lots of mask leaks. I was told to soak them in hot water to bring them back into the original size, and I've had to to do that. AND unfortunately, they don't come apart from the mesh that is giving other people problems.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-06-2015, 04:27 PM)BadGoodDeb Wrote: You don't find that the stretchy bands stretch too far out of shape? I do. I was getting lots of mask leaks. I was told to soak them in hot water to bring them back into the original size, and I've had to to do that. AND unfortunately, they don't come apart from the mesh that is giving other people problems.

you can disassemble it to clean it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j6YkYuqqk0
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
The fabric head gear separates from the mask frame. Next to the mask attachment, just pull the fabric towards the mask, then lift it off the plastic support. It works like a button. You can throw it in the laundry and dryer, and it will be like new.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

I had the same problem. I've been using the AirFit P10 for about 9 months with no issues. Best sleep I've had in a decade. Then I changed out the mask because the head straps were getting loose. That night I could not exhale throw the new mask and hose. I checked all the configurations and everything was put together correctly. It made we wake up and pull the mask off immediately because I couldn't breath. I sat up and could inhale and exhale normally without the mask on. I found it interesting that so many people have had a similar experience. I don't want to switch masks, as this one was PERFECT. I haven't used it for several weeks and I am exhausted now. Yawning all day long. I'm going to try everyone's different suggestions and see if I can go to sleep with it tonight. I'm really stressed as it was working so good before. I too, like others, feel like this headset is defective somehow.

Jeff
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 46 3,014 4 hours ago
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,558 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,970 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 297 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  [Equipment] Hybrid mask discontinued, new AirFit 30 leaks! LessSleepyHalf 3 983 02-18-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  ResMed Airfit P10 ScottW 41 20,127 02-12-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: TexasDon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.