Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AirFit P10 vent blocked?
RE: AirFit P10 vent blocked?
I've never had problems with my P10 mask. Of course I order a new mask every 90 days as insurance allows, and wash the entire mask once a week, paying special attention to the vented area with a soft baby toothbrush.

I think it's important that you don't handle or touch the vents too much, as you are probably depositing oils from your hands on it.

Also have to wonder if there were a real problem with this mask, wouldn't ResMed have pulled it by now? It is one of the most popular masks out there.

Just my 2 cents. Coffee
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-20-2015, 04:11 AM)mzdawn74 Wrote: Do you think this mask is clogged? How can I tell if I'm getting all of the exhaled air out and not re-breathing it along with CO2?

The post some pages back has good advice using the sleepyhead software.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid117216

As for mine - was still blocked last night, so washed it again and hung it up to dry
It was better but still restricting the exhale. Hopefully soon I can go back to it.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-20-2015, 07:58 PM)alby_c Wrote:
(07-20-2015, 04:11 AM)mzdawn74 Wrote: Do you think this mask is clogged? How can I tell if I'm getting all of the exhaled air out and not re-breathing it along with CO2?

The post some pages back has good advice using the sleepyhead software.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid117216

As for mine - was still blocked last night, so washed it again and hung it up to dry
It was better but still restricting the exhale. Hopefully soon I can go back to it.

My machine is not fully data capable, so I can't use Sleepyhead.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am doing a very simple test. With the mask off the machine, I am putting it on, taking a breath through the mouth, and with the end of the hose blocked with my thumb, trying to breathe out through the nose. If I have to push like blowing up a balloon, then it is not working like it was before and so is not going to work while I sleep. i.e. if it can't cope with my breath, without the extra from from the machine, it will never cope with both.

I must admit, after using the P10, I have backed off the strap pressure on the swift fx and it is working nicely now, except for the blast of cold air.

Unfortunately I do not have a health insurer that replaces this for me so any new gear I buy is out of my own pocket, (There are enough rage threads over the state of CPAP gear costs in Australia - suffice to say I buy online from US suppliers) so a mask I can only expect to use for 3 months is a very poor investment.
As much as I liked the P10, (And i do love it when it works) unless it comes right very soon, I plan to abandon it.

I will not be endlessly buying new ones of something I should get a year or 2 from at least. Annoyed-and-disappointed
Post Reply Post Reply
Genius test! (re-reading the thread, I see that test has been suggested all along. I should have tried it earlier!)

And now I see that mine is 90% blocked too. That's why it felt different, after the first month. I'm on month 3. One side is completely blocked; the other is 80% blocked, but will let air out if I exhale very hard. That isn't going to happen while I'm asleep, now, is it?!

Bother. Have we tried soaking in vinegar or stuff like that? Have people called the manufacturer? My supplier just hemmed and hawed and said it isn't due to be replaced till 6 months. I switched back to my Swift LT mask last night. I'll have to look at my Sleepyhead results. Haven't looked at them since week 2.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-20-2015, 07:45 AM)OpalRose Wrote: I've never had problems with my P10 mask. Of course I order a new mask every 90 days as insurance allows, and wash the entire mask once a week, paying special attention to the vented area with a soft baby toothbrush.

I think it's important that you don't handle or touch the vents too much, as you are probably depositing oils from your hands on it.

Also have to wonder if there were a real problem with this mask, wouldn't ResMed have pulled it by now? It is one of the most popular masks out there.

Just my 2 cents. Coffee

My insurance only allows a new mask every 6 months. Sad I'm at 3 months now, so unless I can clear out this clog, I'll be using my Swift FX for 3 months. I'll try baby shampoo.

I've never touched the vents, until last night after I did the "remove from hose & exhale" test. Then I tried tooth brushes, fingers, etc.

And as to whether they'd have removed it from the market .... mine has been not quite right for the last 2 months. I've felt NO exhaust when I put my hand in front of my face, and I knew it wasn't that way when it was brand new. But I continued to sleep with it, because that's what I was supposed to do. I'm sure many people just do the same thing.

I *have* noticed every momentary power outage in the past 2 months, because I cannot breathe at all with this mask on, if the CPAP is not running. That was never true with my Swift FX. Now that I realize the Air Fit P10 is clogged, I understand why power outages wake me up immediately.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can get a new P10 at 3mo, but I am still using both of my old ones and have a brand new one in reserve, so they are lasting longer than 3 mo. I soak em in a vinegar solution every other wash. I have never used anything special on the vents. The only issue I have ever had was that mask #2 was blocked when it was first opened, but it resolved after a little blowhard action. It's a good thing... the air venting on the FX makes my eyes swell like a pair of balloons!
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
[quote='BadGoodDeb' pid='123193' dateline='1437586297']

My insurance only allows a new mask every 6 months. Sad I'm at 3 months now, so unless I can clear out this clog, I'll be using my Swift FX for 3 months. I'll try baby shampoo.

BadGoodDeb,
Double check with your insurance on replacement schedule, because most insurance companies follow the Medicare replacement guidelines, even if your not on Medicare; which would be a new mask every 3 months.

I have to wonder if there was a bad batch of P10 masks, because so many seem to have the same problem.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-22-2015, 03:26 PM)OpalRose Wrote: [quote='BadGoodDeb' pid='123193' dateline='1437586297']

BadGoodDeb,
Double check with your insurance on replacement schedule, because most insurance companies follow the Medicare replacement guidelines, even if your not on Medicare; which would be a new mask every 3 months.

I have to wonder if there was a bad batch of P10 masks, because so many seem to have the same problem.

I re-asked them just this morning, when I requested my monthly nasal pillows (which she also slightly balked at "They last more than a month, don't they?" "Sometimes, but they deteriorate, so I need to have what is due me, at least until I have a few spares."). I'll keep requesting nasal pillows, even if I can't use the frame!

Supplier #1 on the Supplier List has the frame without cloth straps for $75 ish. They seem to include a nasal pillows; just no straps. If I can't clean the plastic exhale mesh, I'm contemplating buying one out of pocket. Maybe. And never letting it near water.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-22-2015, 01:25 PM)DariaVader Wrote: ... I soak em in a vinegar solution every other wash. I have never used anything special on the vents.

I have mine in for another soak today as last night after hanging to dry for 2 days was still useless. If that fails it is in with the Vinegar as a last attempt. I am just grateful that I have not bought a stack of spare pillows.

I will do a quick look back through the thread for potential replacement mask that diffuses the exhaust.

I am seriously thinking of giving it up anyway, even if it comes right this time, as something that can silently degrade my treatment is not gear I really want to use. I need my CPAP treatment to be right as it is critical to my quality of life. I do not think I can trust the P10 with my health any more.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Here to vent Razorpoke 6 162 Yesterday, 09:48 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 139 35,649 04-12-2024, 05:52 PM
Last Post: Sheepish
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 72 5,647 04-08-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: yankees123
  AirFit F30 current user, looking for alternatives KSMatthew 22 4,505 03-28-2024, 11:23 PM
Last Post: Lanners
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,937 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 7,290 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,719 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.