Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AirFit P10 vent blocked?
RE: AirFit P10 vent blocked?
I'm soaking mine in Dawn dish soap right now. The heck with baby shampoo. Gentle doesn't seem to be called for. Vinegar may be next, to remove brine or such. But I agree -- I don't like something I have to coddle.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-22-2015, 09:57 PM)BadGoodDeb Wrote: I'm soaking mine in Dawn dish soap right now. The heck with baby shampoo. Gentle doesn't seem to be called for. Vinegar may be next, to remove brine or such. But I agree -- I don't like something I have to coddle.
No good. Vinegar hasn't helped either. I'm thinking of taking an awl, and making holes to match the ones in my Swift LT (not FX; mis-spoke earlier).

Anybody see any flaws in this plan? This mask isn't doing me any good right now. But I like the lighter weight of it. And, as I have a trip coming up, I like the smaller size for packing. I'd like to retrofit it to make it work again. I can't get a new one October, unless I buy it myself.
Post Reply Post Reply
i would think you could return it as defective even if the time is not up...
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
BadGoodDeb - I put three holes in the vents on each side with the smallest drillbit I had - it helped, but didn't completely fix the problem but it also didn't effect my leak numbers crazy either.

Looking at the vent in the swift fx I'm thinking slightly larger holes might fix, I just need to increase the size in small increments so as to see the effect on leak.

Side note - I picked up a new P10 headgear and it works great. Good for me and resmed and good now that I have an experimental mask I can MacGyver into a franken-mask
Post Reply Post Reply
My leak numbers look better for the last three nights, with a Swift LT mask. Somehow the machine recognizes the normal flow of air going out of the mask. I didn't change any settings, since it is also a nasal pillows mask. (Should I have? Is there a setting for *brand* of mask? I didn't recall one, and it was late at night.) Then again, I wasn't sure that 3 nights was enough to gauge a trend, but it seemed real to me. I was certainly getting more leaks when I couldn't exhale properly; I felt the nasal pillows slipping more often.
(07-24-2015, 02:08 PM)DariaVader Wrote: i would think you could return it as defective even if the time is not up...

I'd kinda like to know how to fix it, if it's the middle of the night the next time it gets blocked. Specially if I'm on a vacation somwhere. Not that I usually carry an awl with me, but I just might start! I do have one with a nice wooden sheath cover; it could go in checked luggage.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-24-2015, 06:00 PM)BadGoodDeb Wrote: I'd kinda like to know how to fix it, if it's the middle of the night the next time it gets blocked. Specially if I'm on a vacation somwhere. Not that I usually carry an awl with me, but I just might start! I do have one with a nice wooden sheath cover; it could go in checked luggage.

On my Simplus FFM the holes are about the same size as sewing needles. I haven't had a problem with them blocking, but you might try poking a sewing machine needle through them one by one if the holes are similarly sized.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
I honestly don't think the vent is blocked, and I honestly don't think anything can actually get on the vent and solidify and block it.

I think it is just designed really cleverly, to not put out a concentrated stream of air, but to disperse it. They have to have designed it to exhaust CO2 properly, or they would be liable for a class-action lawsuit. There is no chance that they designed a medical device so nonchalantly that it would work that improperly and risk CO2 rebreathing.

I went from the Swift FX (air comes out of that like a jet engine exhaust, enough to wake your bed partner if it should happen to be pointed in their direction) to the P10 (is there any air coming out of this at all?). But I am convinced that it is just a clever design. If you take the nosepiece off and plug the hose and blow through it, very little air escapes through the vent, but if you blow gently, it does. When I got a new one, I immediately compared it to the 3-month-old one in this way, and the resistance was identical, so nothing had built up on it.

But it would be ludicrous for it to be designed without proper venting, or to be designed so that something could get in the holes and block the air. If you put your fingers close to the vent you will feel the air coming out, and you will feel it coming out warmer as you exhale, cooler when you inhale. That right there is an indication that it is venting C02.

One thng that is clever about it is that it is difficult to make a passive restrictor that exhausts CO2 properly over a wide range of pressures. But creating a grate with very small holes does this, and is exactly why this mask is well designed. As the pressure increases the resistance of the grate increases with the pressure when the holes are very small, due to the natural resistance of Venturi turbulence. This means that the venting is automatically proper at 4 cm and at 20 cm. IOW, the same amount of CO2 is exhausted even over a range of pressures.

They combined that with a spherical surface which means the air stream disperses almost immediately as it exits the vent, rather than coming out in a directed, concentrated stream like the FX. And the Venturi turbulence means that the air stream gives up a lot of energy due to the turbulence just after iit exits the vent, which helps keep the air from becoming a concentrated stream.

Physics works, and this is a good example of talented designers who know what they are doing addressing the annoying air stream issue of previous designs. They did it so well that it is hard to even realize that the venting is working. The did it so well that we now have a 12-page conspiracy theory thread about it. I consider that a testament to how well it was designed.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm going to agree with Tyroneshoes. I think a lot of you are trying to fix what is not broken. Yes the diffuser has a fair amount of resistance on exhale when you block the tube, but that is not how you sleep. It passes plenty of air with the machine on to purge the hose and avoid rebreathing, and exhale pressure is never more than what you have your machine setup to deliver.

As I said before, if your intentional leak is between 25 and 30 lpm, that mask is working just as designed and your modifications are actually damaging the mask.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-26-2015, 09:46 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I'm going to agree with Tyroneshoes. I think a lot of you are trying to fix what is not broken. Yes the diffuser has a fair amount of resistance on exhale when you block the tube, but that is not how you sleep. It passes plenty of air with the machine on to purge the hose and avoid rebreathing, and exhale pressure is never more than what you have your machine setup to deliver.

As I said before, if your intentional leak is between 25 and 30 lpm, that mask is working just as designed and your modifications are actually damaging the mask.

I could be wrong but the only danger that I see regarding too much venting is getting to the point where the machine can not keep the flow and still maintain the set pressure.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-26-2015, 01:02 AM)TyroneShoes Wrote: ............Physics works, and this is a good example of talented designers who know what they are doing addressing the annoying air stream issue of previous designs. They did it so well that it is hard to even realize that the venting is working. The did it so well that we now have a 12-page conspiracy theory thread about it. I consider that a testament to how well it was designed.

Lets not deify the Resmed designers quite yet.

What is Venturi turbulence beyond the obvious?

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 48 3,061 35 minutes ago
Last Post: Domino96
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,563 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,971 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 298 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  [Equipment] Hybrid mask discontinued, new AirFit 30 leaks! LessSleepyHalf 3 983 02-18-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  ResMed Airfit P10 ScottW 41 20,128 02-12-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: TexasDon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.