Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AirFit P10 vent blocked?
RE: AirFit P10 vent blocked?
OC: Let me give you some background on data philosophies of these manufacturers. Both Resmed and Respironics don't believe that the patient should have access to any data other that summary data. That is why all you get from Resmed is a mr. Frowny face if your leak rate is large for more than 25% of the time. That is a pretty lax limit.

Sleepyhead is an open source program which has deciphered the data formats of most
Machines of Resmed and Respironics. For leak rate, Resmed reports only the 'unintentional leak rate'. Resmed internal algorithm filters out the design leak rate for the mask by looking at the input of the mask type which the user enters into the machine and probably some fancy signal processing. So bottom line is that Resmed's leak rate ideally should be zero meaning your mask didn't leak beyond the intentional rate it was designed to. When you download Resmed's data in sleepyhead the leak rate that SH shows is an actual data feed from the machine.

Respironics takes a different take. Their machines only report the 'Total leak rate' as a data feed. Sleepyhead software uses some math to decipher the unintentional leak rate out of this data feed and show it as leak rate in sleepyhead. But here, you can right click on leak graph and also view the total leak rate. This provides more information and let's me see if the designed venting rate is at work or not. and so far, every day, my P10 does indeed show that the designed venting rate is at work.

Resmed and Respironics are different in this. And so, it's impossible to look at Resmed's reported leak rate and say if the mask is blocked. But as I had mentioned in my previous posts , your respiratory rate will shoot thru the roof if the mask was not venting properly.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-02-2015, 05:15 PM)AshSF Wrote: OC: Let me give you some background on data philosophies of these manufacturers. Both Resmed and Respironics don't believe that the patient should have access to any data other that summary data.

Yet Resmed, at least, provides a free program for download that will tell you a lot more than that. Of course, SleepyHead is a lot better, but still it seems you are painting with a rather broad brush.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-02-2015, 05:27 PM)eseedhouse Wrote:
(08-02-2015, 05:15 PM)AshSF Wrote: OC: Let me give you some background on data philosophies of these manufacturers. Both Resmed and Respironics don't believe that the patient should have access to any data other that summary data.

Yet Resmed, at least, provides a free program for download that will tell you a lot more than that. Of course, SleepyHead is a lot better, but still it seems you are painting with a rather broad brush.

Why do you say that SleepyHead is a lot better than ResScan? I don't experience that.
if you can't decide then you don't have enough data.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-30-2015, 10:07 PM)MobileBasset Wrote: This thread leads me to believe that the P10 mesh design/manufacture/quality control may cause it to be sensitive to some or all of these deposits and sometimes become obstructed enough to degrade performance.

I don't know if the cleaning methods discussed here are helping or hurting the obstruction issue but IMHO any mask that cannot be effectively and frequently washed is not the best choice.

I have come to the same conclusion. I know I do not wash my mask/hose etc regularly enough - i.e. after every use, but I know that it must be cleaned frequently if I do not want to get something exceedingly nasty sometime.

I love the lightness, the quietness, the air diffusion of the P10. I want to be able to keep using it which is why I am persisting in trying to figure out wtf is going on with it. But I must be able to thoroughly clean it frequently and saying to never clean (or get wet) the diffuser is not an option, nor is replacing the whole thing on a monthly schedule (6 monthly maybe but that still means being washed 180 times)
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-02-2015, 08:18 PM)MobileBasset Wrote: Why do you say that SleepyHead is a lot better than ResScan? I don't experience that.

Well I've tried both and I prefer SleepyHead by a big margin. There's no reason I can think of why your impressions or preferences should be the same as mine.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi everyone!
I felt the same problem, then I made 6 holes on my P10 mask with a sewing needle.
I chose the size that fitted in the holes of the Swift LT, and made holes on P10.
I feel more comfortable, but I saw that the leaks had become with the minimum at 1.20 L/m. Before holes, leaks are on 0.00.
This can create a future problem in the treatment?
J.Gaspar
CPAP - Bad with it, Worse without it! Loco
Post Reply Post Reply
I made similar holes (though not so scientifically) and I felt much better afterwards. I can't say anything about the science of the "treatment".

I've now received my first new replacement mask, and I don't like it! It doesn't let as much air out as my "self holed" mask does. Either this mask also is somewhat clogged, or there is a variation (per mask) in the amount of air that gets through ..... or I'm just really used to the Swift LT feeling. I like the lightness of the P10 mask itself, but I really prefer more air go through there. I'll stick with the new mask for a while and see .....
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-31-2015, 10:22 AM)BadGoodDeb Wrote: I made similar holes (though not so scientifically) and I felt much better afterwards. I can't say anything about the science of the "treatment".

I've now received my first new replacement mask, and I don't like it! It doesn't let as much air out as my "self holed" mask does. Either this mask also is somewhat clogged, or there is a variation (per mask) in the amount of air that gets through ..... or I'm just really used to the Swift LT feeling. I like the lightness of the P10 mask itself, but I really prefer more air go through there. I'll stick with the new mask for a while and see .....

BadGoodDeb,
Did you saw the graphics after modified?
I used SleepyHead and after modified I had minimum 1.20L/m on always line of leaks.
Please can you see it for us?
J.Gaspar
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-30-2015, 06:59 PM)jgaspar Wrote: Hi everyone!
I felt the same problem, then I made 6 holes on my P10 mask with a sewing needle.
I chose the size that fitted in the holes of the Swift LT, and made holes on P10.
I feel more comfortable, but I saw that the leaks had become with the minimum at 1.20 L/m. Before holes, leaks are on 0.00.

Someone expert can explain the Leaks with baseline on 1.20 L/m is normal?
J.Gaspar
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-02-2015, 03:57 PM)jgaspar Wrote:
(10-30-2015, 06:59 PM)jgaspar Wrote: Hi everyone!

Someone expert can explain the Leaks with baseline on 1.20 L/m is normal?

There is no problem with Your treatment if the leak rate on a resmed shows below 24L/minute. So a new baseline leak of 1.2Lpm should be okay.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 47 3,035 18 minutes ago
Last Post: yankees123
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,561 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,970 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 297 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  [Equipment] Hybrid mask discontinued, new AirFit 30 leaks! LessSleepyHalf 3 983 02-18-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  ResMed Airfit P10 ScottW 41 20,128 02-12-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: TexasDon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.