Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AirFit P10 vent blocked?
RE: AirFit P10 vent blocked?
(11-02-2015, 04:47 PM)AshSF Wrote: There is no problem with Your treatment if the leak rate on a resmed shows below 24L/minute. So a new baseline leak of 1.2Lpm should be okay.

Thanks for help!
After I made the 3 holes per side, I felt much better!!!
But I was afraid to baseline at 1.20 L/m.
J.Gaspar
CPAP - Bad with it, Worse without it! Loco
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-03-2015, 07:07 AM)jgaspar Wrote:
(11-02-2015, 04:47 PM)AshSF Wrote: There is no problem with Your treatment if the leak rate on a resmed shows below 24L/minute. So a new baseline leak of 1.2Lpm should be okay.

Thanks for help!

What size needle did you use and is it louder with the holes?

Also, for those having issues with the mesh vent, would trouble breathing from too much carbon dioxide show up as an oxygen desaturation in an oximeter?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-25-2016, 02:56 PM)rx77310 Wrote:
(11-03-2015, 07:07 AM)jgaspar Wrote:

Thanks for help!

What size needle did you use and is it louder with the holes?

Also, for those having issues with the mesh vent, would trouble breathing from too much carbon dioxide show up as an oxygen desaturation in an oximeter?

I chose the size that fitted in the holes of the Swift LT, and made holes on P10.
I don't have oximeter? But if anyone have, please make this test for us.
J.Gaspar
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been making similar holes in my AirFit P10 mask. I used the point of a really sharp knife, to make actual slices through the fibers. With needles, you are mostly pushing the fibers aside. I found that they later moved back into place, and again obstructed my breathing. Actually, even my slices later seemed to close up a bit, so I used the point of some scissors to make them larger yet.

I've got always semi-obstructed breathing, so I need the air flow to be really optimal, for minimal intake effort.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-28-2016, 01:44 PM)BadGoodDeb Wrote: I've been making similar holes in my AirFit P10 mask. I used the point of a really sharp knife, to make actual slices through the fibers. With needles, you are mostly pushing the fibers aside. I found that they later moved back into place, and again obstructed my breathing. Actually, even my slices later seemed to close up a bit, so I used the point of some scissors to make them larger yet.

I've got always semi-obstructed breathing, so I need the air flow to be really optimal, for minimal intake effort.
CPAP is normal to feeling this sensation of obstructed, but P10 obstructed really a lot, because the dust embeds on mesh, and it's not easy to remove.
Be carefully don't make a lot of holes, because you will not get the right treatment, obstructed is normal to inflate and open your throat.
J.Gaspar
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-28-2016, 04:33 PM)jgaspar Wrote:
(03-28-2016, 01:44 PM)BadGoodDeb Wrote: I've been making similar holes in my AirFit P10 mask. I used the point of a really sharp knife, to make actual slices through the fibers. With needles, you are mostly pushing the fibers aside. I found that they later moved back into place, and again obstructed my breathing. Actually, even my slices later seemed to close up a bit, so I used the point of some scissors to make them larger yet.

CPAP is normal to feeling this sensation of obstructed, but P10 obstructed really a lot, because the dust embeds on mesh, and it's not easy to remove.
Be carefully don't make a lot of holes, because you will not get the right treatment, obstructed is normal to inflate and open your throat.
I've only got "mild to moderate" apnea. I can survive without the CPAP, when I have to. But I can't survive without enough oxygen reaching me. I've been using a machine for 8 years, so I'm not new to this. I'm trying to make the air flow match what's in my Swift LX, which has actual holes. I'd go back to that, except that I like the minimal straps on the AirFit.

Oh, and it's not JUST stuff on the mesh, because it starts as soon as I get a new mask. It's already too obstructed for the swollenness of my nasal passages. (I might do nasal turbinates reduction someday, but that's dicey with Coumadin and blood clot issues.)
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2016, 01:25 PM)BadGoodDeb Wrote:
(03-28-2016, 04:33 PM)jgaspar Wrote:

I've only got "mild to moderate" apnea. I can survive without the CPAP, when I have to. But I can't survive without enough oxygen reaching me. I've been using a machine for 8 years, so I'm not new to this. I'm trying to make the air flow match what's in my Swift LX, which has actual holes. I'd go back to that, except that I like the minimal straps on the AirFit.

Oh, and it's not JUST stuff on the mesh, because it starts as soon as I get a new mask. It's already too obstructed for the swollenness of my nasal passages. (I might do nasal turbinates reduction someday, but that's dicey with Coumadin and blood clot issues.)

the p10 and the swift fx and swift lt, (I couldn't find an lx) all vent at exactly the same rate when new (check the charts in the back of the manuals.)

resmed does say to brush the p10 grid daily with soapy water and a soft toothbrush.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2016, 04:48 PM)palerider Wrote:
(03-29-2016, 01:25 PM)BadGoodDeb Wrote:
(03-28-2016, 04:33 PM)jgaspar Wrote: CPAP is normal to feeling this sensation of obstructed, but P10 obstructed really a lot, because the dust embeds on mesh, and it's not easy to remove.

the p10 and the swift fx and swift lt, (I couldn't find an lx) all vent at exactly the same rate when new (check the charts in the back of the manuals.)

resmed does say to brush the p10 grid daily with soapy water and a soft toothbrush.
Sorry, its the LT, you're right.

My lungs disagree with their vent chart.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2016, 06:40 PM)BadGoodDeb Wrote:
(03-29-2016, 04:48 PM)palerider Wrote:
(03-29-2016, 01:25 PM)BadGoodDeb Wrote: I've only got "mild to moderate" apnea. I can survive without the CPAP, when I have to. But I can't survive without enough oxygen reaching me. I've been using a machine for 8 years, so I'm not new to this. I'm trying to make the air flow match what's in my Swift LX, which has actual holes. I'd go back to that, except that I like the minimal straps on the AirFit.

Sorry, its the LT, you're right.

My lungs disagree with their vent chart.
Me too! My lungs feel the same.
I don't have a microscope, but I think the mesh after 3 months of use, accumulated crystals on mesh, and it is not easy to remove only with brush and soapy water.

J.Gaspar
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2016, 06:40 PM)BadGoodDeb Wrote: My lungs disagree with their vent chart.

your (probably) imprecise interpretation of the measurements from your wet, squidgy, floppy, gloopy meatbags not agreeing with scientific measurements isn't really much of a surprise Wink

of course, without inserting a flowmeter in the hose, or capturing the vented air and measuring it (tricky, but doable in the home) .... who knows Wink

I will say that perception is often vastly skewed by preconceptions. just read studies of wine experts fooled by a label switch.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Here to vent Razorpoke 6 144 11 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 139 35,578 04-12-2024, 05:52 PM
Last Post: Sheepish
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 72 5,618 04-08-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: yankees123
  AirFit F30 current user, looking for alternatives KSMatthew 22 4,499 03-28-2024, 11:23 PM
Last Post: Lanners
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,924 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 7,277 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,717 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.