Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AirFit P10 vent blocked?
RE: AirFit P10 vent blocked?
Hi there!

I just registered, after reading carefully this whole thread. I purchased an Airfit P10 some 7 months ago.

At first it was incredibly comfortable and quite an upgrade from my old Resmed Swift FX.

One night, 3 months ago, I had the same incident other reported in here: I could not breathe, I was hyperventilating.

Air was NOT passing through the mask mesh vent. I was rebreathing my own air, with high concentrations of CO2.

I washed it thoroughly, got it dried with paper tissue (it may have helped on absorbing the water inside the mesh) and I could use it normally again.

Two nights ago, again: The mask was useless. I tried to clean it up, but got frustrated, so I opened up a new resmed Swift FX I had "just in case". Problem solved.

Now I thoroughly cleaned my P10 ... tonight I will try it again.

I DO NOT clean my masks everyday. I've been using an APAP for years now, and I had my share of full face masks, nose masks, and now pillow masks.

The only mask that I learnt to hate is the P10. I sincerely think that Resmed guys did not think as hard as they should have on this mesh design.

Also, as other forum users have noticed, when the air starts to be blocked thru the mesh vent, water condensation goes up, humidifier keeps its water in, and all kind of side-problems arise.

Two nights ago, when I hyperventilated again thanks to the P10 mesh clogging, I also saw for the first time the "air tube obstructed" error message on my Resmed airsense 10. So the APAP machine gets confused too.

Which in turn makes me think about the sensors inside this machine: They SHOULD include a CO2 sensor. They SHOULD detect "air rebreathing". It is a cheap enough thing to sense, and potentially bad for health and sleep quality. Also it is an easy indication that the tube is NOT obstructed but the MASK vent is.

I think that RESMED engineers got either lazy or sloppy, or they are in a rush for lowering costs, due to competitors -mainly chinese-: My first APAP machine was a RESMED S8 autoset Spirit, which is still working ok. It had an integrated power supply, was pretty much smaller than this S10, and felt way more sturdier. It was also twice as costly.

When purchasing my current S10, I asked the Resmed representative in my country about the external power supply and she explained me that it was a resmed strategy for reducing export and overall product cost. I knew right away that things are rolling down, quality wise. The P10 design just confirms it.

Sorry for the lengthy post.

Enrique
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah .... I've started slicing 1/8" slits in the mesh as soon as I get a new one. About 5 suffices for me. No machine complaints about "leaks" either.

I love the low weight of the mask, plus its easier packing (due to small size) so I'll accept the trade off.

And no, I don't clean my masks daily either. Errr, ever, in fact. But the time I managed to rectify this problem by cleaning, it required soaking in vinegar. Now it's easier just to proactively add some holes (to match my Swift LT/FX (I forget which?) mask).
Post Reply Post Reply
People using resmed machines are in the dark about how much is the "total leak rate". But if you are suddenly hyperventilating, it is a good sign that co2 may have built up in the breathing circuit.

My PRS1 reports "total leak rate". My P10 should vent at ~27Lpm at my pressure of 8cm. But it would vent 18Lpm after fresh cleaning, as per SH. And as it got dirtier, that would fall to 16Lpm.

Then I took a safety pin and poked 5 holes in each side of the mesh. Now, after a fresh clean, it vents at 25Lpm. And as it gets dirty, it goes to 24.

All these numbers are at 'unintentional leak rate of 0".

So for folks with this venting dilemma, you can try poking holes in the mesh. The noise level has barely budged after this.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh my, I'm sure glad I discovered these posts! 17 pages of comments is sure worth looking into!
I'm going to try some pin-holes in my older P10 to see how the night goes.

Cool thread!
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2016, 10:05 PM)AshSF Wrote: People using resmed machines are in the dark about how much is the "total leak rate". But if you are suddenly hyperventilating, it is a good sign that co2 may have built up in the breathing circuit.

My PRS1 reports "total leak rate". My P10 should vent at ~27Lpm at my pressure of 8cm. But it would vent 18Lpm after fresh cleaning, as per SH. And as it got dirtier, that would fall to 16Lpm.

Then I took a safety pin and poked 5 holes in each side of the mesh. Now, after a fresh clean, it vents at 25Lpm. And as it gets dirty, it goes to 24.

All these numbers are at 'unintentional leak rate of 0".

So for folks with this venting dilemma, you can try poking holes in the mesh. The noise level has barely budged after this.
AshSF, can you post photos?
J.Gaspar
CPAP - Bad with it, Worse without it! Loco
Post Reply Post Reply
See my photos!

Swift LT
[Image: swLt.jpg]

P10 after
[Image: p10.jpg]
J.Gaspar
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried pinholes first, but since the P10's vent is a MESH, I found that the threads soon moved back and blocked off part of my pinholes. That's why I switched to a knife tip, and short slices which actually cut the mesh threads. But certainly -- start with a pin and see if that suffices.

PS Great photos!
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-18-2016, 01:23 PM)BadGoodDeb Wrote: I tried pinholes first, but since the P10's vent is a MESH, I found that the threads soon moved back and blocked off part of my pinholes. That's why I switched to a knife tip, and short slices which actually cut the mesh threads. But certainly -- start with a pin and see if that suffices.

PS Great photos!
Hi BadGoodDeb,
Can you send photos?
J.Gaspar
Post Reply Post Reply
Let's see if I can figure out how to do photos .... One side has smaller slits, which was what I intended. The other side has a longer slit; it hasn't made any noticable difference.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-20-2016, 11:47 AM)BadGoodDeb Wrote: Let's see if I can figure out how to do photos .... One side has smaller slits, which was what I intended. The other side has a longer slit; it hasn't made any noticable difference.
And I worried about the pinholes on my mask! HAhahaha

J.Gaspar
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirFit F30 current user, looking for alternatives KSMatthew 22 4,265 9 hours ago
Last Post: Lanners
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 52 3,331 Yesterday, 06:43 PM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,585 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,990 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,605 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 301 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  [Equipment] Hybrid mask discontinued, new AirFit 30 leaks! LessSleepyHalf 3 988 02-18-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.