Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AirFit P10 vent blocked?
RE: Resmed AirFit P10 vent problem
(06-09-2014, 04:54 PM)scott1965 Wrote: OK. Okay I'm using the Resmed AirFit P10 mask, S9 Autoset, Heated S9 Elite.

I've had this unit for a month. It worked fine until I went to see the tech for an adjustment and now I am having the problem I described above.

On the phone today she said it is fine but I disagree. The vents in the mask are letting no air out. After five minutes with it on, working hard to exhale I start to feel like I need O2. She could not remember if she put a new mask on it. Thinking-about Thanks
What "adjustment" did the tech make? If they raised the pressure, that may be why you perceive a problem exhaling.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AirFit P10 vent blocked?
I use the p10 too and really like it. There is something wrong with ur mask. U should feel air venting from the mesh whenever there is pressure. If ur not then there is something amiss. I think the venting mesh is a two or three layer laminated plastic. As remote as this might sound, it may be that one of the layers has become misaligned and is preventing the mesh from venting. Whatever, good ur meeting with ur HME.
Post Reply Post Reply
I feel very little air coming from my vents, even with higher pressures. And if I put on the mask without any pressure, I do feel as if I can't breathe. But it works just fine with pressure. I still wonder if you are just noticing something where nothing is really different. It is a "feature" of the P10 that very little air is felt out the vents, so there is less blowing to bother you or your partner.

Another thought--check your ramp time on the machine. I set mine to zero because I feel like I can't breathe when the machine starts at a very low pressure. Mine was set to 4 and a ramp time of 20 minutes. I first reduced the ramp time to 5 and then to zero, and I prefer it.

I don't mean to imply that you don't know what you're talking about--just that the same type of thing happens to me all the time, where I suddenly notice something "different" that isn't really different at all, and wondering if that's what's going on.
Kathi D.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another thought--check your ramp time on the machine. Mine was set for 20 minutes. Starting at pressure 4, I felt like I couldn't breathe, so I set mine for 5 minutes and then for zero. I prefer to have the pressure going right from the beginning.
Kathi D.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed AirFit P10 vent problem
The Tech adjusted my pressure up slightly.

I cleaned it well, again. Okay

I then put it in water and plugged the pillows and NO air exits the vents at all but it blows like crazy from the pillows when I unplug them.

Shouldn't air move through the vents with plugged pillows underwater? It was only two inches deep.Dont-know

I am not using the ramp option.

I see the Tech Thurs. 6/11 and will report back when I get to a computer.

Whistle
Post Reply Post Reply
Resmed's new diffusing system seems to still be causing you concern, even after visiting your tech again. Also, cleaning the mask does not seem to have alleviated your concerns as I hoped it would. At this point I would suggest you ask your tech to swap this mask for a different pillows system so that you can be more comfortable about the process. Being concerned that something isn't working right is as valid a reason to make a mask change as any other.

Post Reply Post Reply
The P10 is not for everyone. No one mask is. Which is why there are so many different ones out there. The diffused vents are great and I hope they continue this trend but work on some of the flaws with it (as well as the other flaws with the mask).

If you are looking for other simplistic nasal pillows, the Nuance is another. You won't get the quiet venting of course but it is very lightweight. The Swift LT is another. I've used a lot over the years! Keep trying until you find the one that works for *you*.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-11-2014, 12:12 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: The P10 is not for everyone. No one mask is. Which is why there are so many different ones out there. The diffused vents are great and I hope they continue this trend but work on some of the flaws with it (as well as the other flaws with the mask).

If you are looking for other simplistic nasal pillows, the Nuance is another. You won't get the quiet venting of course but it is very lightweight. The Swift LT is another. I've used a lot over the years! Keep trying until you find the one that works for *you*.

The mask was fine and comfortable until I went for the "one month" visit.

Then this:
I see what looks like plastic covering on both sides of the vents. I can not remove it. NO air moves through the vents.

I cleaned the vents thoroughly.

I then put it in water and plugged the pillows and NO air exits the vents at all but it blows like crazy from the pillows when I unplug them.

Shouldn't air move through the vents with plugged pillows underwater? It was only two inches deep.

AND THIS FROM RESMED: Thank you for contacting ResMed! The AirFit P10 mask is designed to be incredibly quiet and diffused in its exhaust venting, to the point where the exhausted airflow is something more like a light breeze, to help reduce any discomfort caused by the exhaust airflow to you or your bed partner. There should be no covering over the venting.

I don't think this is in my head as it feels is being suggested. I think the Tech gave me a new mask at my visit and it is defective.

Look closely at the vents. There is an impermeable coating on both sides.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
2" under water equals 5cm. Depending on what your pressure is, it may well not blow air out 2" or so under water.

What is your prescribed pressure?
If you hold the hose the same distance underwater does it blow air out?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-11-2014, 01:39 PM)Bama Rambler Wrote: 2" under water equals 5cm. Depending on what your pressure is, it may well not blow air out 2" or so under water.

What is your prescribed pressure?
If you hold the hose the same distance underwater does it blow air out?

It is 8. How deep should I retry the experiment?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Here to vent Razorpoke 6 165 04-17-2024, 09:48 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 139 35,661 04-12-2024, 05:52 PM
Last Post: Sheepish
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 72 5,666 04-08-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: yankees123
  AirFit F30 current user, looking for alternatives KSMatthew 22 4,507 03-28-2024, 11:23 PM
Last Post: Lanners
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,943 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 7,295 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,721 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.