Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] AirFit P10 versus DreamWear
RE: AirFit P10 versus DreamWear
I actually alternate between the two because the Airfit bruises my nose and the Dreamwear tends to leak (although not enough for a sad face most times). So, Airfit for 5 nights, then 2 nights with the Dreamwear. My nose is happier.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-28-2016, 01:37 PM)jetstreamblue Wrote: I recently had a chance to trial the DreamWear mask for 3 nights. For background, I had been using the AirFit P10 for about 1.5 years previously. Before that, I briefly used an AirFit F10 full face mask before I realized I couldn't stand it and switched to the pillows. I have been quite happy with the P10 but wanted to try something new.

In-Store Fit:
When I trial fitted the DreamWear in store, I was almost immediately sure I would like it. It felt very comfortable on the face, especially not having anything sticking in the nose. I have a rather large head, so I needed the large size head gear for proper fit. The small size nose piece seemed to work well for me. In comparison, I use the large size pillows for the P10, and being one-size, I found the P10 headgear a tight fit on my head at first, but it loosens up over time. I also really liked the idea of the top connection port on the DreamWear and not having any hoses in front of me. Although I normally have a hose holder at home, when I travel I sometimes struggle a bit with finding a good way to route the hose. After trying it in store for 10 minutes or so, I was ready to purchase, but (fortunately) they didn't have the large size headgear in stock, so instead I took their trial mask home for a test.

Sleep Trial:
It became apparent to me quickly that the mask was not as good as I had been hoping once I tried to sleep with it. First, the noise is much more noticeable compared to the P10. You can hear both exhaust ports (the one on the nose piece, and the one at the hose connector). And it seems that the size air channels also conduct sound close to your ears. Second, I had air leaks every time I slept on my side and nudged the mask, unless I tightened the headgear to the point where it was no longer comfortable. Finally, I found that during the night, my face started getting hot since the silicon material of the headgear means the skin can't breathe on those areas. I slept poorly for all three nights, and on the third night, I finally gave up in the middle of the night and switched back to my P10.

Overall, I really wanted this mask to work, but was so disappointed it didn't. The concept is good, but for me at least, it seems the simplicity of the P10 is unbeatable. I'm still looking for a backup mask to wear when my nose is sore, but unfortunately the DreamWear won't be it.

Hi everyone,
I’m new into treatment, two weeks. Here is my experience with both masks.
I did the titrage with an AirFit P 10 for her and when I began my treatment, I choose a DreamWear.
I thought that the hose on top of the head would be less of a challenge, because during the titrage test (3 nights) I would always be tangle up in the hose. In addition, I figure that the mask being soft all over and nothing up in my nose would also be great.
However, unfortunately, I had too many leaks and I find that the air blowing from the vent hole was very annoying for me; in addition, I also found that it was noisy when breathing. During the night, it would get looser when moving (I move a lot) therefore leak. For that reason, after a week, I ask to have the AirFit P 10 again, and I like
It is really much quieter; I also have almost no leaks. I was a bit concern about irritation in the nostrils. Some people said on this forum to put a little Lanolin in your nose and I find that this tip was very helpful for me. I was first fitted with an XS pillow;I found that it was a bit difficult to breathe in, but not knowing much about it I thought that it was what it was suppose to be... Again after reading post on the forum (so much info in here), I ask for the other sizes. Last night, I tried the medium one, OMG! what a difference it made!
It is so much easier to breathe in. I had a WONDERFUL day today, energy was there, it is so amazingSmile In addition, first time in months that I did not limp (severe osteoarthritis) as I used to, people I work with even noticed itAmazing Don’t know if it is related but I’m surely happy about it! Wink) It would be a good idea to ask at start for all sizes, thus you can choose which one is best for you, because I think it may make a difference in your treatment as I notice it today!

Has for the hose, I made a cover with fleece, so it doesn’t bang against the headboard anymore. I hang it with an elastic that I hook on the back of the headboard with a Cord Clips from 3M. I then run the hose in a loop that I made with the elastic and, Voilà! No more, tangle up in the hose. During the day, I just flip it back behind the headboard and nothing his showing.
So overall, I would say that it is a good mask for me, I also find quite easy to keep it all night long, isn’t the purpose of a good CPAP treatment!

Good nights sleep to everyone!

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry! I just notice that I made mistake's:Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
Feel free to review the P10 in its Review thread here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...AirFit-P10

And here are the guidelines:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...orum--5546
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
If you find it difficult to wear standard men's hats, you may find that the P10 straps are just too tight. I can wear it for about 4 nights and then my nose starts showing bruises. I otherwise love the mask, but have finally given it up due to it just being too small for me (this is the larger one, not the woman's style).

I feel like I'm wearing a soft comfy teddy bear when wearing the Dreamwear mask along with the pad-a-cheek that my DME gave me. The cushion lasts just shy of 3 months before leak, leak, leak. When I first got the mask, I was frustrated with leaks and movement and such. You have to have this just a little bit tighter across your upper lip and then it's perfect. I sleep on my side most of the time and the only time I have leaks are when I open my mouth (rarely). The only negative was that I started developing pressure sensitivity in that area of the upper lip so I switch back to my original Swift for a couple of weeks and then back to the Dreamwear.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will provide a very different experience.

I tried the P10 for 2 weeks at the start of my treatment. I am mostly a back sleeper, but I do switch to the side from time to time.

The P10 quickly turned my nights into nightmares. It was perfect in the doctor's office. It was light, silent. Everything was simple and efficient. Once I slept with it, it was a different story. The P10 burned my nostrils - badly. The soreness was such that I would wake up several times in the middle of the night. It was awful. My AHI was good, my nights were restless. I tried Lanolin, I tried coco oil, I tried every possible pillow size, nothing helped. I was about to return to oral appliances like the Puresleep and let go of the idea of CPAP altogether.

Then, after several other masks, I tried the Dreamwear. It was a revelation. Nothing, nothing was even close. By the time I tried it, I had also used several facial masks, then nasal masks: the Eson 2, the N10, I tried other pillows like the Pilairo Q, it was better, it was far from perfect.

The Dreamwear saved me. I am not exaggerating at all.

I wear it and feel like there is nothing at all on my face. It is so light that I forget about it entirely. It is silent ; in fact, since I use ear plugs, it's the most silent of all masks, since the P10, as silent as it is, is more noisy when you use ear plugs that the DW. I measured using the chart: I should us a small pillow - I can use the medium, the medium-wide, the large, it does not matter: leaks are nil, nothing, a flatline in Sleepyhead, or almost a flatline. AHI is a steady 0.0, sometimes a 0.2. The air... the air is coming in waves, like an air torrent, it's fantastic. I have used it for over a year now (along with an F20 when I have a cold) and the pillows are as efficient as they ever were (and as I said, any size works like magic).

Please, if you read this, believe me: before you try anything else, try the Dreamwear. At least, if you sleep on your back, it's an absolute recommendation. On the side, maybe some other masks can be better - not for me, since I get no more leaks on the side with the DW, but some people do report that it's not as efficient on the side - but if you sleep on your back like me, the Dreamwear is the first (and last and always) mask that you should try.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dreamwear is much better with the gel pillows, please try that if you haven't already done so.
Post Reply Post Reply
I actually prefer the original cushions by a large margin. I sleep on my back and the older ones are much more comfortable, it's almost like wearing nothing at all. Sure, the new ones are more stable if you move around or sleep on your side, but nothing can beat the old cushions for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
I love the P10, but it doesn't fit my head (too small). I am currently using Dreamwear and find that I can sidesleep fine. HOWEVER, the cushion starts leaking within 2 months. With nasal pillows, you can boil them for 5 minutes and extend their life span. Nothing makes the cushions improve. While some folks will get more mileage out of the cushions, once you have frequent leaks, it's time to switch to the new cushion. Fortunately, my DME lists them as PILLOWS so I get 2 a month and have a bit of a stockpile now which really helped when I had to switch DMEs and couldn't get anything for a couple of months. I have not tried the gel pillows.
Post Reply Post Reply
I get a very different experience with the Dreamwear original pillows. My insurance here in Canada allows replacements once a year, and that's it. The thing is that I have been using the same medium pillow for 11 months and can see no difference, honestly. It's easy for me to see because I can use the small, the large or the Medium-Wide too, and they are still "new", yet, I guess no less or no more leaks with them that I get with the 11 months medium pillow in Sleepyhead. I understand it can be different from user to user, but to me, the mask and its pillows can really last quite long.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask lab rat 45 24,682 03-21-2024, 07:11 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  [Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30i Full Face Mask plakky 6 6,299 12-23-2023, 08:31 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  [Product Review] Resmed AirFit P10 eviltim 190 124,129 11-30-2022, 12:40 AM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  [Product Review] AirFit™ N20 Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear somnia16 58 39,001 08-13-2022, 08:16 AM
Last Post: CorruptAlligator
  [Product Review] ResMed AirFit F30 Full Face Mask Coffee Man 39 22,816 05-08-2022, 01:55 PM
Last Post: drmaestro
  [Product Review] ResMed AirFit N30i Coffee Man 39 25,069 02-27-2022, 09:46 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  [Product Review] Phillips-Respironics DreamWear Crimson Nape 56 61,263 10-20-2021, 10:41 AM
Last Post: CorruptAlligator

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.