Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] So much software, so little time...
So much software, so little time...
I'm new to the wonderful world of CPAP. Not very new to nitely obstructive apnea. Since I've been using the CPAP I have to admit that I, more often than not, wake up refreshed and do much better during the day. Not tiring (and nodding off) as in the past.

I would like to keep tabs on the data being collected by the CPAP, but am concerned about losing any of it due to the many warnings I've encountered about how easily the SD card can be corrupted. First, of the many software packages out there, which would be my best choice? Next, my laptop (Windows 8.1) has a built in SD reader. However, I don't know if just downloading the contents is all the reader will do. Some of the cautions are that some operating systems will, like it or not, write to the SD card causing data loss. Should I really be concerned about that?

Oh, any words of wisdom regarding reliable sources for mask and headgear components?

I'm looking forward to browsing thru the forum to pick up as much info and tips as I can put to good use. Thanx for any advice!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: So much software, so little time...
Sleepyhead works wonders. Always lock the SD Card when you put it in a computer for added safety and assurance.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are downloading it into a software program, then you aren't losing it. The program is saving it.

You can prevent any corruption by locking the card. There's a sliding "lock" on the side of every card. Just lock it prior to putting it into the reader then unlock it before putting it back into your machine.

One thing in your favor is you have a Phillips-Respironics machine so you can wait longer between downloads. Resmed machines must be downloaded every 7 days or less, else you lose data (they only keep 7 days worth, dumping day 8).

For your machine, your best bet is SleepyHead. There is also EncoreBasic. You can run both at the same time for a while then decide which one you like. I did that with SH and ResScan. I like SH much better. (software is found here)

Masks are so very personal as each of us are different. Check out our Reviews Forum for Masks. And the Review Forum for other stuff.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
When you poke your SDCard into your Windows 8.1 computer it will write a couple of files onto it. It doesn't corrupt it, it just thinks it needs to write a couple of files on it. Unless you slide the "lock" tab so that it can't do that, that is. Resmed machines get really fussy about Windows writing stuff on their card, so when you put it back in the Resmed machine, it won't accept it unless you allow it to format it first. I have not heard of that problem regarding any other brand, including yours.

But even if the card gets goofied up, it's not the end of the world. The important stuff, like how long you used the machine for insurance purposes last night, is still in the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi MrHobbes,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's great to hear that you have noticed improvements as you use your
mask & machine.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanx for the quick feedback! Good comments I'll take into consideration as I move forward. I do kinda like the 1 comment to run Sleeyhead and Encore side by side. It'll help accentuate the good/bad points of each.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 0 92 03-13-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: cathyf
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 549 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 228 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 144 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Having a terrible time--please help with OSCAR Montacute 25 756 03-06-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  Hard time to find the right mask labrat 42 2,175 02-14-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Pressure Variation with Time Heaviside 2 176 02-11-2024, 02:41 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.