Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AirFit P10
RE: AirFit P10
The hose on the P10 is very flexible but as you note it does NOT have a swivel.

Personally, I have only run it to the left over my neck (a 90 degree turn) OR just send it straight down to the area of my stomach and then over my side.

This is so easy to do that setting up any kind of physical hose management hangers or such would just be a pointless exercise FOR ME.

For you, on the other hand, if this is a deal breaker then it is a tougher choice.

I am pretty sure you COULD route it upwards due to the flexible hose, but it's not really designed for that and you likely would not like THIS ASPECT as much as you would with a swivel. Whether it would be bad enough to ruin your hose management I can't say.

Were it important to "sell" you on the P10, my primary tack would be to convince you to try my way of managing the hose WITHOUT any hanger.

I know this can work with virtually no issues, but don't have the direct experience to say that about the hanger.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2014, 12:40 AM)herbm Wrote: Funny thing is, I don't remember recommending the large pillows Smile

So far every pillow has WORKED well for me, and the one that seemed the least likely is the one that gets used 6 nights out of 7...............

Yeah... That's what you said. For me "least" meant "the most, or largest."

(04-08-2014, 12:40 AM)herbm Wrote: Seriously, the thing is not even snug, but luckily that is just a perfect fit for my silly head.

With the large thingies it might work fine without being on top of the chinstrap. But I have to use the stupid chinstrap anyhow, so this is working fine.

(04-08-2014, 12:40 AM)herbm Wrote: Talk about lucky. Maybe that should be my middle name.

Oh, what this about "harping"? Wink

(04-08-2014, 04:01 AM)DocWils Wrote: but how do you think the AF10 will do in that regard with no swivel and no top of head strap to secure the hose to?

I think it would do fine using it in an over the head fashion. As Herb mentioned it's hose is so flexible I can't imagine why you'd need a swivel. It's also long enough to allow you to run it upwards still leaving a reasonable curl so that it isn't pulling on the mask in the night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, something to think about, then. Thanks, guys.
Post Reply Post Reply
Used the Swift FX for a year and recently wanted to try the P10. My DME talked me into trying the Pilaro Q which didn't work for me because of the stiff and short connecting hose. Also tried the Nuance which was good if you got yje pillows adjusted JUST right but that sometimes took a loooong time. Took the Pilaro back and they gave me the P10. WONDERFUL! I hardly know its there. It doesn't generate a blast of air that bothers my wife like the Swift FX did and it has a long and flexible hose. And virtually no leaks no matter how I toss and turn. I'm sold.
"Sometimes the magic works . . . and sometimes it doesn't" -- Chief Dan George in the movie Little Big Man
Post Reply Post Reply
I am still trying to get it to work for me, it's so comfortable and last night I worried so much about leaks I did not sleep. I have to quit being so obsessive about this. I sat for about 2 hours with just the mask on last night and then went to sleep, the leaks were just ok, not bad but not good, ( I think????)

AHI 0.10
1 EVENT OA
MEDIAN 4.50
95% 27.60
MAX 33.60 ( but that one was just a mask adjustment.

I am going to try it again tonight.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2014, 04:01 AM)DocWils Wrote: I am always interested in a better mask, but I have to admit with all the mods I have made to my FX, it is now comfortable, quiet and doesn't blow hard on anything (took a bit for doing and 3D milling for that, though). Still, I WANT TO TRY IT! NEW TOY!!!!! NEW TOY NOW!!!!

With all due respect DocWills, I always thought that MDs and mechanics had a lot in common.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Marnid2014: Don't worry at all about MAX leaks, but do try to reduce the overall (95%) and median leaks.

With the P10, leaks must be coming from only a very few places:

1) Nasal pillows (too small OR too large)
2) Mouth opening (try chin strap or even minimal tape just to make it a conscious effort to open.)
3) A defect in hose or mask

#3 is unlikely but possible. #1 should be easy enough to discover: there will be AIR BLOWING or WHISTLING.

You should have TROUBLE determining the pressure is even on. If you feel wind then likely that is a leak. This thing is QUIET - -if you hear whistling or rushing noises that is likely a leak.

You mouth however may not pop open until you are fully asleep and fully relaxed.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2014, 04:30 PM)PaytonA Wrote: With all due respect DocWills, I always thought that MDs and mechanics had a lot in common.

Oh, my dear, you have No idea Wink. Right now I have 20 doctors in my team all figuring out how to write Apps, and you should see the stuff I have accumulated over the years, or the stuff I have built or jerry-rigged. A regular Caractus Potts.

But that is how medical innovation comes about - you get frustrated with the inability of something to do what you need, and you figure out a new thing to do it - I developed a new arterial clamp back in my youth because I couldn't get a good grip with the existing one. Took it to a small surgical steel manufacturer to make for me - now it is in common use here. That is how is starts. There is a good reason so many tools have names of people attached to them (Kelly clamp, for instance). Ja, we are really like mechanics. And we all have a "hot rod in the garage that we're restoring" medically speaking. And we LOVE new toys, if only so we can see how they break.
Post Reply Post Reply
DocWills:

I tried a small experiment last night, specifically for YOUR benefit.

It turns out that there is NO ISSUE with routing my P10 pigtail hose straight up to my forehead. Of course you would need headgear to keep it there -- I COULD have TAPED it on Smile

And of course, part of the point of the P10 is MINIMAL headgear but you can certainly do it.

Then I tried another idea just for comparison: I tooked the hose UNDER the mask strap and ran it to the top of my pillow that way.

It worked fine and it would have been possible to sleep this way.

In any case, this proves to me that you pretty much can run the hose however you desire.

However, this is WAY over-complicated for such a comfortable hose as the P10. My preferred way of dealing with the hose is incredibly simple and absolutely effective (for me). No external hose management could improve on this.

After lying there are few minutes to prove the hose could actually be stuff into the strap and run above my pillow, I just put it back where it belongs (right down my chest to my stomach, hook to machine hose, and run under my ribs over my side (when facing away) so that it is under my arm down near the elbow.

I can't even feel that hose most of the time -- it disappears between my arm and side.

The machine is on a small table (a box really) on the floor by the bed.

This means that the hose is ABOVE the machine for the entire travel. No water or rain out from the external hose can reach my nose which is UPHILL. (I don't have much trouble with water in hose but it never hurts to have a plan.)

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks herbm, it makes me more interested in getting this little fella. But since my machine is above my head (I know, not recommended, but alas, space requirements and all that (and I sleep on a futon, so you can't really get the machine below you) I will still have to tack it up over my head, but at least I won't have to run it over my forehead, I guess. Definitely want to try one.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 139 35,642 04-12-2024, 05:52 PM
Last Post: Sheepish
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 72 5,638 04-08-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: yankees123
  AirFit F30 current user, looking for alternatives KSMatthew 22 4,505 03-28-2024, 11:23 PM
Last Post: Lanners
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,937 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 7,287 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,718 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 359 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.