Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AirFit P10
RE: AirFit P10
Hopping the AirFit P10 will soon also come to Switzerland, after all we are part of Europe (but not the EU)...
Info on P10 in Europe
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, first impressions - a good nights sleep - 95% leakage at 27, around the same I get on my FX for the most part (remember the data for a Philips machine measure leakage a bit differently than the Resmed machines do). There is a distinct whistle through the side vents on the in breath, but it tends to show up under higher pressure, starting at around 9 or 10. Since there is no over the top of the head band, unlike the FX, it is hard to put on in the dark and get it right side up, as there is no way to be sure which way is right, especially it you are new to the mask, and the downward curve of the mask is less pronounced than the FX, so feeling it out is not really a solution. It is comfortable, but presses the nose a bit more than the FX. Certainly the vents are far gentler in their exhaust than the FX, by far, and far quieter, too. So quiet that the noise of the machine and it's weird wail from the compressor, amplified through the tank's echo chamber, is quite pronounced, which made She Who Must Be Obeyed move to the other room (after punching me in the back and a lot of harrumphing).

Well, that's it.

GJW, it helps to be a doctor when you want to get things faster, is all I can say. Colleagues in other countries, hints and compliments, etc., scored me a demo model from a hospital in France where a few colleagues are working - a not for sale type (even has it written on the mask band and comes in a specially marked box with no bells or whistles)... Just be patient a little longer and please don't bother anyone for one, as they are not available yet, not even at the hospitals here -it will be a few months before the hospitals start to see them. The Resmed guy is starting to make his rounds of the various LungenLigas in Switzerland over the next two months, and it should be made available shortly after that. I have notified the LL Zurich that they should inform all current nasal pillow users the moment they have them as an option, and they are very happy to comply.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you all are right, I am obsessing over something that really doesn't need fixing. I took a look at my data since I lowered the pressure to 6 and all in all, I think I have the right thing going now, so it's on and upward and quit worrying. I guess I thought the leaks were supposed to be 0, but then I saw that there are EXPECTED leaks and as you all say, if they are under the line, don't worry. Last night I took a piece of Velcro and ran it behind my head and attached it on either side of the P10 from the side of the headgear, and then tightened it just a bit more so it did not have any play to move. I also went up to the small pillow and the results were excellent, I had 0.2 AHI, only a hyponia, and the leak was 4.2 MEDIAN, and 14.4 95% . I slept for 7 hours and only got up 1 time as well. Very happy, as these numbers have been very consistent since lowering the pressure. With the Velcro, I felt a little more secure that the mask would not move and it did not interfere with the comfort of the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-26-2014, 04:30 AM)DocWils Wrote: ....it is hard to put on in the dark and get it right side up, as there is no way to be sure which way is right,

...which is why God made flashlights.

Post Reply Post Reply
So would you recommend it over the Swift FX?

I am loving the Swift FX, with the silicon mask. It's very easy to "flip" off, and get on which I love. The noise doesn't bother me or the vent on the fx, I am wondering why resmed made the P10, it seems like a tweaked swift FX design.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are happy with your mask, don't change it - I was never really happy with mine, and I modded it heavily to be acceptable for my needs. So for me the P10 may be a step up, or not - part of my deal with my colleagues is to be a guinea pig, so I have to use it for a week or week or two and make a report. I do like it more than the FX, but mostly because it is far lighter (and way lighter when you consider the modifications I made to it, which I have to redo every time I get a new one). However there are quibbles - the vents really do reduce the amount and force of the exhaust stream of air, which means for me no need to apply a mod to it, but they whistle during the inbreath, which my wife finds disturbing. And the head band is not adjustable, no matter what they say about moving it up and down in a split, which means the far looser way I have of wearing the FX so that it doesn't press on my nose is not possible with the P10. Tonight is night two, and I grabbed an old boom mike jib and support from the attic to use to move the hose away from the wall out over the bed - perhaps it will be less of a pull on the hose that way. More over the next few days. Anything I write here will be reflected in my report, so watch this space.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, but did you remember a flashlight? Or maybe a candle? ...and a match?
Post Reply Post Reply
DocWils, all sounds good. Will look forward to hearing further reports.
I am with you, if nothing wrong with your mask don't change. I was not entirely happy with comfort of FX so that is why I changed to Airfit.

Marnid, I am so pleased to hear you sounding positive.
I am sure now you have the Velcro and go to bed feeling more relaxed your leaks will take care of themselves.
I find it easier and easier as the nights pass to adjust my pillows. I am sure you will too. We all have our good and bad nights with leaks but as long as they are under 24 in the 95%, you are travelling sound.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
And that 24 is just a guideline. Each mask has a different leak rate. That 24 is the line for the "unintentional leak" meaning leaks that are expected (through the vent) and leaks that are low enough the machine can compensate for (or don't matter).

You can look at the manufacturer's website to get the exact leak rate for each mask. I've never done it, too lazy. I just go by the 24. As long as my 95% stays below that, I'm good.

The other thing I look for in leaks is how long they last. A HUGE spike out of the blue that suddenly goes away probably means I woke up and readjusted the mask out of habit. Or I removed it to sneeze or talk. A big leak that lasts for a long time means the mask was off or, as I have been doing lately, I'm whistling in my sleep. Amuses the dogs which wakes me up. I'm not really whistling, but my lips are parted just enough that the air is escaping and making a noise. I've not done that in years!

Anyway, again, this is why we continue to look at the data and see our trends and norms. It is why when we try a new mask, we can spot the differences immediately. Or the lack of differences.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-26-2014, 04:30 AM)DocWils Wrote: Well, first impressions - a good nights sleep - 95% leakage at 27, around the same I get on my FX for the most part (remember the data for a Philips machine measure leakage a bit differently than the Resmed machines do). There is a distinct whistle through the side vents on the in breath, but it tends to show up under higher pressure, starting at around 9 or 10. Since there is no over the top of the head band, unlike the FX, it is hard to put on in the dark and get it right side up, as there is no way to be sure which way is right, especially it you are new to the mask, and the downward curve of the mask is less pronounced than the FX, so feeling it out is not really a solution. It is comfortable, but presses the nose a bit more than the FX.

Ha! My whistle was on the exhale. Annoying as heckaroni. Going to a different size seemed to help but didn't fit as well.

I think I read in another post after this one that you are aware the single strap does split to form the top of the head strap. Rather useless without modifications. If your head is bigger, you allegedly can stretch the strap and it will hold that stretch. I was not very successful with that but I was on a time limit. But if your head is smaller, you're SOL as the end user. Duct tape or staple gun?

I had a heckuva time telling which end was up with this mask. I think I figured out that the stiff part on the side of the straps curve upward which is right side up. I think.

And the pressing against the nose part was not comfortable.

I look forward to your future reports! Don't forget to do a review of the mask in the Review Section.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...AirFit-P10
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 48 3,065 55 minutes ago
Last Post: Domino96
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,563 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,971 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 298 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  [Equipment] Hybrid mask discontinued, new AirFit 30 leaks! LessSleepyHalf 3 983 02-18-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  ResMed Airfit P10 ScottW 41 20,128 02-12-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: TexasDon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.