Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AirFit P10
RE: AirFit P10
(05-11-2014, 01:45 PM)PaytonA Wrote: We are not at a disadvantage. We just have to be smarter to make it work.

Seriously, it isn't about "making it work" with the P10.

It's practically a different therapy from my experience with other masks which is thankfully VERY LIMITED.

With most masks it is about finding the one that is least UNCOMFORTABLE.

With the P10 (and perhaps a few other pillow masks like the Pilairo) it is about how comfortable the mask actually feels.

Not everyone CAN wear a nasal only mask successfully, but anyone who is ABLE (through almost any reasonable effort) will likely be FAR happier with a pillow mask, and the vast majority of those will love the P10 best.

Note to self: Order a 2nd, new P10; I am due one from the insurance now.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
[quote='retired_guy' pid='65093' dateline='1396887732']

Well I seem to have settled on a mask finally. At least for now. It's the Resmed Airfit P10.
- - - -

Good for you. My first night with the P10 was perfect, but I have a small nose (very elegant !) and the small insert irritate the interior of the nose. I can't make a full night.
My AHI is low ... 2 to 3, no leaks at all... but PAIN !!

When you put it, at first it is OK, but at 03:00AM you want to throught it away. I will buy a nasal, but I will need for sure a women size, to be sure it is leak free.

2 oz of scotch will help to fall asleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-16-2014, 05:10 PM)BeauPetitNez Wrote: [quote='retired_guy' pid='65093' dateline='1396887732']

Well I seem to have settled on a mask finally. At least for now. It's the Resmed Airfit P10.
- - - -

Good for you. My first night with the P10 was perfect, but I have a small nose (very elegant !) and the small insert irritate the interior of the nose. I can't make a full night.
My AHI is low ... 2 to 3, no leaks at all... but PAIN !!

When you put it, at first it is OK, but at 03:00AM you want to throught it away. I will buy a nasal, but I will need for sure a women size, to be sure it is leak free.

2 oz of scotch will help to fall asleep.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...1#pid69151
Post Reply Post Reply
Even though I habitually use the Small P10 pillow insert, the last few nights my choice has been the Large.

Low leaks, excellent AHI.

It's not nearly as much about the size or the pillows -- although any size CAN be made to work -- but the careful placement and LEAVING IT ALONE, MINIMIZING movement of the pillows.

I tolerate no perceived leaks -- no matter the size.

Getting these pillows to work is child's play compared to fitting an FFM "strap on" that needs either tight straps or absolutely correct tension in a complex web of straps.

The P10 works if you get it just "sort of snug" and KEEP IT CENTERED under you nose.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

Post Reply Post Reply
I seem to always be one of the last to try "the latest and greatest"! I got my new Airfit P10 for Her a few days ago. I love the quietness and the fact that air isn't blowing all over my face and all over my husband. It stays positioned, even though I toss and turn all night. It is, without a doubt, the most comfortable mask I've tried over the past three years of papping. But I am having one issue. I have long hair. During the night, the headgear strap that goes around the back of my head scrawls up my hair and off the top of my head! I awake to my mask either off or both straps on top of my head, therefore, major leaks! Anyone else having this issue? I'd be interested in hearing of solutions if you have experienced the same problem. I really want this mask to work for me!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Donna, I'm not having that problem, maybe because I use a chinstrap underneath the mask. It seems to be giving me "naturally curly hair" after 70 years which is interesting and which prompts Mrs. Retired_Guy to tell me to go was my hair all the time. Hmmpphh I kind of like naturally curly hair.

Anyhow, perhaps a hairpin (I think they're called... Since I have naturally curly hair I don't use them) would help keep the straps where they belong?
Post Reply Post Reply
For those with sore nose from pillows, my other advice is to try Lanolin cream (very thick).

A little on the inside of your nose where the pillows will touch will help to prevent a sore nostril AND help to avoid it if you don't have one.

It's took me a few nights to get over that. There are other choices (vaseline would work, but we are cautioned not to use petroleum products internally to prevent a rare but serious lung condition.)

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-11-2014, 05:53 PM)BeauPetitNez Wrote: An other thing is... the mask is TOO SYMETRICAL and if you remove it during the night, in the dark it is very difficult to find the right side.

Is ResMEd needing a designer ?

you'll notice that the space between the pillows is flattened on one side, and not the other.

that's how you can tell in the dark.

apparently, they already have a designer.Too-funny

Post Reply Post Reply
I would not describe it as "flattening" but rather the two pillows are set at an angle -- closer together away from you and further apart towards you.

It's easy to feel the difference, however I really do recommend donning the P10 in front of mirror (at least until you get really good at placing the pillows) -- I believe that is a big part of the reason for my leaks being consistently low.

Definitely insert the pillows BEFORE turning on the machine. Much easier and more likely to be correct if done without the air pressure inflating them.

Until you are certain, try to turn the machine off if you must re-insert the pillows.

As to a sore nose:

STRONG RECOMMENDATION: Work the pillows GENTLY side to side to break any seal with the inside surface of your nose and to move it AROUND the lip towards the center of your nose so that the pillow doesn't abrade on the way (down and) out.

Seriously, that was ONE OF THE BIGGEST thing that stopped my nose from getting irritated.

Another was my determination to AVOID moving the mask around as much as possible during the night. Just leave it alone unless it comes out on its own. Get it right; leave it there.

I find that simply pressing (mostly back again my upper lip) on the little 'platform' that joins everything together is the best way to adjust the pillow position -- along with GENTLY restoring the straps to neutral if they get pulled slightly to left or right.

My leaks are always minimal -- and though a 'big guy' usually I use the small pillows. (My nose is average for my size.)
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Donna,
I too have long hair. I put it in a low ponytail and put the lower strap below that and the other one near the crown of my head so there is no way it can slip higher… hope that makes sense. the thing I have learned it wreaks my hair but breathing is more important Smile
S
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 50 3,174 1 hour ago
Last Post: car54
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,570 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,977 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 298 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  [Equipment] Hybrid mask discontinued, new AirFit 30 leaks! LessSleepyHalf 3 985 02-18-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  ResMed Airfit P10 ScottW 41 20,130 02-12-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: TexasDon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.