Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AirLift Surgery
RE: AirLift Surgery
(09-23-2017, 09:50 PM)JesseLee Wrote: One more thing. Upon further reading, I discovered that this AirLift treatment is used in conjunction with UPPP to get a 60-65% reduction in AHI where the website also states that CPAP gets 66% reduction of AHI. I can post a link if it you all would like

Evidence?

The CPAP AHI may include folks who aren't compliant, or who aren't completely compliant, have been issued a not-helpful machine, lied about whether they're compliant, have not had their equipment fine-tuned, at any rate, not an appropriate comparison group for a procedure. One would have to know if the CPAP study was peer-reviewed; same with the surgery study.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't feel that the 66% is representative of practical CPAP statististics halfasleep. I would like to note that those numbers are from airlift's website. I hope I'm not breaking rules here, I worry about posting links.

https://www.siestamedical.com/physicians
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-23-2017, 10:49 PM)JesseLee Wrote: I don't feel that the 66% is representative of practical CPAP statististics halfasleep. I would like to note that those numbers are from airlift's website. I hope I'm not breaking rules here, I worry about posting links.

Agreed: that's exactly what I'm saying. I don't even need to consult the link! A serious scientific CPAP study would likely show a very high effectiveness rating, once study participants were given the correct machine with the correct settings. It likely would have had an astronomically high effectiveness rating if the participants participated in their own therapy by consulting Sleepyhead.

I suspect any study that shows only 65% success rate for CPAP is bogus.
Post Reply Post Reply
You couldn't pay me enough to have that surgery!  My 2 cents.  Oh-jeez
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Looked at the images.

Nope nope nope nope
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-23-2017, 10:49 PM)JesseLee Wrote: I don't feel that the 66% is representative of practical CPAP statististics halfasleep. I would like to note that those numbers are from airlift's website. I hope I'm not breaking rules here, I worry about posting links.

I totally agree with JesseLee.  The CPAP efficacy is based on the nearly 50% of people that simply quit, not the actual reduction of apnea.  You don't get that option with surgery, and the success rate leaves you in need of CPAP anyway.  Most people considering surgery will have severe apnea, with more than 50 events per hour.  So if you eliminate 60% of those, you still have 20 AHI.  We consider that alarmingly untreated here.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-24-2017, 05:43 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:

I totally agree with JesseLee.  The CPAP efficacy is based on the nearly 50% of people that simply quit, not the actual reduction of apnea.  You don't get that option with surgery, and the success rate leaves you in need of CPAP anyway.  Most people considering surgery will have severe apnea, with more than 50 events per hour.  So if you eliminate 60% of those, you still have 20 AHI.  We consider that alarmingly untreated here.
I get it. You're thinking of the statistic as 60% of AHI events incurred by a participant under study; I was thinking of it as participants not incurring AHIs after treatment.

I'm not disagreeing with anyone even though I understood the statistics differently!

Mind boggling that a procedure could be claimed a cure because it "solves" 60% of a problem...
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know why but the film clip reminded me of the movie Childs Play with Chucky the demonic doll.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
The information that the people have put in the chart is true in some sense I believe. There isn't enough information to analyze what population or what criteria. To me, it's unacceptable figures for effective treatment any way you cut it. These people are sales associates selling a product. I'm sure there is lots of fine print somewhere.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-21-2017, 02:48 PM)Sean Turvey Wrote: I have been looking at surgical solutions for my apnea. Right now I am on CPAP at 20cm. My latest work study tells me that I need BiPAP. Though there are a number of procedures now which seem to help, they are fairly expensive, especially for a Canadian as they are not offered here.

One surgery looks to me like it would work without a huge expense. It is called AirLift

I wrote Siesta Medical, the company which developed it. They told me that it can be done for about $6000 USD. This is about the cost of 2 BiPAPs which would last 12 years or so where the procedure is good forever. They also said that the patient's weight is not usually a deciding factor. This information along with the site and video makes it look too good to be true.

Does anyone have experience with this type of surgery or other hyoid suspension procedures?

What is your BMI?

If you can, easiest fix for apnea is to loose weight.... thats before you consider any surgery for sure.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Worsening OSA After Bariatric Surgery Ibrumley 4 62 11 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,229 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  After major surgery Issues DANNOGA 5 255 02-26-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Talk me into or out of surgery BoxcarPete 30 1,955 01-27-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Nasal Surgery and CPAP tolerance Norman2195 6 708 12-27-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  [Treatment] Very frustrated after radiofrequency tongue base reduction surgery phitom816 4 1,365 12-03-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Too Sleepy
  Thoughts on my data (after double jaw surgery) accetableplaintain 2 420 11-27-2023, 06:30 AM
Last Post: accetableplaintain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.