Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AirMini much louder than A10 with same mask and settings?
How to use Airfit N30i with Resmed Airmini? Adapters?
Hi,
I'm contemplating a Resmed Airmini for travel, specifically 3 weeks on a sailboat with 12V power, so I reckon this small machine with it's optional 12V adapter might be a good choice.

I do, however, like my Airfit N30i, and I'm not sure how it will play with the Airmini. The Airmini seems to use various connectors relating to it's inline "humidifier" system, which I don't think I'll need for this (or most) of my travels.

Does anyone know if there's a simple adapter that I can use to plug standard masks, like mine, into the Airmini?

Regards
Doug
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to use Airfit N30i with Resmed Airmini? Adapters?
I have an Airmini, and it likes to use it's own masks because of the inline humidification. I have seen some adapters online but haven't really looked into them.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are several hose adaptors readily available through several retail sources for the Airmini that would allow you to use a standard hose and your N30i mask, I have tried this configuration along with the N30i, P30i and F30i and they work fine. Please be aware though, that because of the way the N30i & P30i are vented I found that there is more noise associated with those masks with the Airmini vs. the N30, or P10 as the vents seem to have a finer air defuser on those masks and don't generate as much noise in use.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-03-2022, 08:47 PM)SleepinAZ Wrote: There are several hose adaptors readily available through several retail sources for the Airmini that would allow you to use a standard hose and your N30i mask, I have tried this configuration along with the N30i, P30i and F30i and they work fine. Please be aware though, that because of the way the N30i & P30i are vented I found that there is more noise associated with those masks with the Airmini vs. the N30, or P10 as the vents seem to have a finer air defuser on those masks and don't generate as much noise in use.

Ok, I found the "Zephair" adapter online that looks like it should do the job. 

Regarding the noise: Are you suggesting that the N30i might be louder with the Airmini that with my Airsense 10? Or, is this a general observation that the N30 is quieter than the N30i?   I have found the N30i to be my favorite mask, so far, out of many attempts. I'm inclined to stick with it unless there's a reason not to.

cheers,
Doug
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes the Zephair adapter should be fine, I bought a Resway, but I think they are all similar.

I think it is safe to state that all standard masks are louder with the Airmini over the Airsense 10. I have tested several looking for the most optimal setup, noise wise anyway. 

I just tried the N30i & P30i again with my Aircurve 10 VAuto and Airmini. Both are very loud using the Airmini while very quiet (almost silent) with the Aircurve 10. The noise isn't from the Airmini itself, but the air rushing through the N30I/P30i mask frame & defuser nose piece. The only way I can describe it is it sounds like Darth Vader is standing next to me and personally I couldn't tolerate that amount of noise and sleep. Out of all the masks I have tried, the N30i/P30i are among the loudest with the Airmini (sorry).  I think it is attributed to the mask frame as it seems to accentuate the air noise rushing through the frame when used with the Airmini. The Airmini specific masks have an air defuser built into the humidex connection point (pre-mask) that helps with the noise level, but they are still louder than standard masks used with an Airsense, or standard CPAP. 

I think the level of noise that each person can tolerate is subjective, so what may be too loud for me may be fine for you. 

When I first started using the Airmini I had problems with the increased noise level, even with the Airmini specific masks, but it grew more tolerable as I used the Airmini. I also use Bose sleep buds and/or a small travel white noise generator to help mask the additional noise, so you could try that if you really want to use the N30i.
Post Reply Post Reply
AirMini much louder than A10 with same mask and settings?
I’m using my new AirMini on travel with my N30i mask and was surprised that there is a lot of noise from the mask, as compared with my normal machine, Resmed A10. Settings are the same. 

Why would this be? It would seem that the same pressure ought to result in the same flow out of the mask vents?

Is this a known phenomenon?

Cheers, 
Doug
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AirMini much louder than A10 with same mask and settings?
Good question, Doug, and I don't have an answer. The A10 is much quieter than my P30i than the P30i with the AirMini. Then again, when I use the Bleep system with the AirMini, the AirMini is much quieter with Bleep than the AirMini is with the P30i. In all cases, the settings remain the same and I'm using the larger hose and not the AirMini hose. Also, I get no leakage from the P30i according to Resmed's analysis, so that can't be the cause.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-03-2022, 08:47 PM)SleepinAZ Wrote: There are several hose adaptors readily available through several retail sources for the Airmini that would allow you to use a standard hose and your N30i mask, I have tried this configuration along with the N30i, P30i and F30i and they work fine. Please be aware though, that because of the way the N30i & P30i are vented I found that there is more noise associated with those masks with the Airmini vs. the N30, or P10 as the vents seem to have a finer air defuser on those masks and don't generate as much noise in use.
Like others here, I can't figure out why it would make so much noise. It can't be the vents because nothing has changed--the pressure coming from the Airmini is the same as the pressure coming from the Resmed 11. It seems the noise is coming only on the exhale, so that would indicate the Resmed 11 eases the backpressure to the machine upon exhaling so you're not exhaling out the vent, while the Airmini does not ease the backpressure to the machine upon exhaling so it is all going out the vent. Loudly. I've toggled all the settings so the pressure is eased on exhale but no luck.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,282 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 154 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Is the AirMini worth it vs. AirSense 11 labrat 10 922 02-22-2024, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Jogreentree
  Connect Medistrom Pilot 12 Plus to Airsense 11 and Airmini? ICS55 2 308 02-18-2024, 11:10 PM
Last Post: ICS55
  [CPAP] Resmed airmini noise NYKP44 0 360 02-09-2024, 01:27 PM
Last Post: NYKP44
  AirMini with Oxygen darral.freund 2 924 02-08-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: darral.freund
  AirMini and Medicare (USA) bwilson4web 0 251 02-01-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: bwilson4web

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.