Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AirSense 10 AutoSet Auto Ramp after waking?
RE: AirSense 10 AutoSet Auto Ramp after waking?
Sleep Apnea is kind of a misnomer in that sleeping does not cause apneas, laying down does, which of course we typically do when sleeping. However we also sometimes lay down to read, watch tv, or just relax and then apneas can happen when we are not asleep.

As with all features on anything, those that like them will find them useful and those that don't, won't.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-04-2015, 08:58 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: They have not designed the software to detect an arousal and reduce pressure to the ramp level. Once you complete ramp, it is over unless manually reset by pressing the ramp button. Your choice.
Thanks Sleeprider & Zonk! That's what I was wondering. I'm a side sleeper and seem to get several mask leaks per night and those noises wake me up 5+ times usually. For me, the continuous pressure on waking keeps me from falling back asleep. Probably the same reason I wasn't able to tolerate a 2003 model CPAP machine which was either on or off with the pressure! Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
My ramp time has been at zero for about a month and that is working well for me. You just have to find what you are comfortable with.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-07-2015, 07:40 AM)daveasu Wrote:
(09-04-2015, 08:58 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: They have not designed the software to detect an arousal and reduce pressure to the ramp level. Once you complete ramp, it is over unless manually reset by pressing the ramp button. Your choice.
Thanks Sleeprider & Zonk! That's what I was wondering. I'm a side sleeper and seem to get several mask leaks per night and those noises wake me up 5+ times usually. For me, the continuous pressure on waking keeps me from falling back asleep. Probably the same reason I wasn't able to tolerate a 2003 model CPAP machine which was either on or off with the pressure! Thanks

I am a little confused, I am not talking about the ramp at all. What I am asking is that because my airsense 10 is on AUTOPRESSURE, shouldn't the machine drop in pressure when it senses that I am awake and I dont need the pressure. Why is it in autopressue that when I am awake, the pressure does not drop, doesn't the auto mean automatic adjustment??
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, the machine can't tell for sure when you are awake without electrodes on your head. It can deduce some things from your air flow, but breathing patters during REM sleep can be similar to breathing patterns while awake. I think you may be asking too much of what amounts to a fairly simple computer algorithm.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-04-2015, 06:12 PM)PoolQ Wrote: Sleep Apnea is kind of a misnomer in that sleeping does not cause apneas, laying down does, which of course we typically do when sleeping. However we also sometimes lay down to read, watch tv, or just relax and then apneas can happen when we are not asleep.

As with all features on anything, those that like them will find them useful and those that don't, won't.

Where did you hear this? Please quote your source.

To the OP. For most (if not all) people, obstructive apneas do not occur when you are awake. Your brain keeps your airway open. If you had an apnea while you were awake, it would be a very traumatic experience. Your doctor or respiratory therapist will confirm.
Post Reply Post Reply
"Apnea" just means not breathing. We can purposely stop breathing when we are awake and many people do that when they "free dive" - an actual sport with world records and stuff. As long as we are awake we can tell when our breathing changes and consciously over-ride the process if it has problems (unless we are really really sick) so apnea while awake is not normally much of a problem. And if it is a problem you are likely to be in intensive care soon if you aren't already.

When we sleep we lose consciousness so the process of breathing is delegated to the automatic systems during that time. Apneas while we are asleep can wake us up and ruin our sleep quality which is why sleep apnea is a big problem and waking apnea is generally not.

Of course while you are laying down the conditions for breathing blockage are enhanced, but so long as we are conscious we can easily override this and it isn't really much of a problem if we are otherwise healthy. Lying down, of course, makes it more likely that we will doze off and then we are, if we are already suffering from sleep apnea, likely experience obstructive episodes that will wake us up and ruin our nap. But that's sleep apnea, not waking apnea.

By the way we have what might be called "apnea" all the time when we are eating since, as everyone has experienced, breathing while swallowing is NOT a good idea.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-11-2015, 07:13 AM)WindCpap Wrote: To the OP. For most (if not all) people, obstructive apneas do not occur when you are awake.
Yes, but your machine score apnea while awake, cannot tell whether you're awake or asleep

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 175 Yesterday, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Regular vs Slimline Hose for Airsense 10 Auto IIII 27 7,617 04-12-2024, 02:13 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Gross Waking up anxious Gailofiowa 3 101 04-09-2024, 08:10 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 44 1,295 04-05-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: Pawpri
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 309 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 189 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 983 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.