Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to evaluate wave forms
How to evaluate wave forms
I use an ASV machine. I have read the wikis and done a search and been helped a lot by memebrs, but am still having trouble knowing how to evaluate a wave form myself when one sees an event flagged in OSCAR. Is there a step by step tutorial as to how to approach the zoomed in wave form to determine whether it is an OA or CA? What qualities does one look for first on the wave form? What other graphs does one bring into play to further evaluate and then get closer to knowing what the event was and what caused it?

For instance, how can you determine that it was an OA from chin tuck? How can you determine that it was a CA without enough pressure to knock it out.

Is there a tutorial on a step wise method for event wave form analysis? Or is it way more complicated than that? How does one learn?

Thanks for any advice! Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to evaluate wave forms
A lot of it is in OSCAR --The Guide wiki article.

Irregular breathing typically implies awake breathing.

A recovery breath, a big breath immediately after an apnea typically means an obstructive event.

Lack of the above may be holding the breath or a central

A waxing and waning pattern of breathing it typical of CO2 induced breathing and is commonly associated with centrals.

Whatever you do, do not get hung up on single or low count events. A lot of people see one or two centrals ang go OMG, I have centrals, I'm going to die. Well we all are going to die, just not today and not from this.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much. I did read that but still found reading an actual wave form confusing, not so much concerning my own case, but just reading a wave form in general - mine or anyone else's. I was hoping for a compendium of pictures of different forms and analysis of what they show and how to determine that. Perhaps that is hoping for way too much and really represents an entire course for a sleep tech. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
One of our oldest wiki articles is the Beginner's Guide to Sleepyhead. It doesn't get much better, or more chaotic than this for learning all the ins and outs. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Awesome, will check it out!!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mask pressure wave form with obstructive events jaredihnen 6 451 12-07-2023, 04:10 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Very High Pitch Sound - please evaluate Hydrangea 4 2,168 09-28-2020, 02:38 PM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  Evaluate me! Also - my provider and his hogwash... Ministerman 80 7,860 01-08-2020, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  Wave form no longer downloads RLSdss 0 727 10-23-2019, 07:56 AM
Last Post: RLSdss
  Evaluate My Results to Determine Best Machine Siesta 11 1,980 05-28-2019, 04:22 PM
Last Post: Siesta
  Flow limitation and wave form question KallyA 8 1,741 05-18-2019, 08:12 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Questions about stage 3/4 slow wave sleep Melman 9 1,973 03-15-2017, 01:23 PM
Last Post: KCFLY

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.