Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AirSense 10 CPAP vs AirSense Elite with Sleepyhead
Question 
AirSense 10 CPAP vs AirSense Elite with Sleepyhead
I had my Titration followup meeting with the doctor today and got a prescription, it seems a regular CPAP will work for me (as opposed to BiPAP or ASV), at least that is what he is recommending we start with for the trail period. I am "stuck" using Aprea (for multiple reasons) and as such I am watching them carefully, per everyones advice here, and I am going try to make a few waves as possible in hopes things go smoothly.

Their "default" machine (if the doctor does not script for a specific model) is the ResMed AirSense 10 CPAP. As far as I can see the only difference between this and the AirSense CPAP Elite is that the Elite will detect CSR/CSA events.

1. Is that correct?

2. Will Sleepyhead be able to detect Central events with the CPAP, or do I need to have the ELITE for those to be detected, and Sleepyhead simply reports them?

The reason I ask is that on the original sleep study I was throwing Centrals, in the titration study they were completely eliminated during CPAP and some Centrals were reported during BiPAP at high pressure (18 to 20). So, he feels the CPAP therapy should be all I need. But, if my machine can not detect CSA/CSR events, how will we know if I am having them? I could ask him to script for the Elite, but again, I want to go the least rock the boat path unless there is a good reason to request something specific. I didn't know that the CPAP was the default with Aprea, so at the time he wrote the script I didn't know to ask him to specify it. I can ask him to change the script, but if it is not necessary, I would rather not.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AirSense 10 CPAP vs AirSense Elite with Sleepyhead
The biggest difference between the CPAP and the Elite is that the CPAP model is a brick with only compliance data recorded. The Elite is also a constant (settable) pressure machine, but it also records full data which can be displayed by SleepyHead. The CPAP machine is much more profitable for the DME, since they get paid the same amount by the insurance company or Medicare.

You do not want the CPAP model if you plan on using SleepyHead.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-22-2016, 12:45 PM)pholynyk Wrote: The biggest difference between the CPAP and the Elite is that the CPAP model is a brick with only compliance data recorded. The Elite is also a constant (settable) pressure machine, but it also records full data which can be displayed by SleepyHead. The CPAP machine is much more profitable for the DME, since they get paid the same amount by the insurance company or Medicare.

You do not want the CPAP model if you plan on using SleepyHead.

Thank you, I have contacted the Sleep Center and requested a new script specifying the Airsense 10 CPAP Elite. I appreciate you taking the time to answer.
Post Reply Post Reply
You should not be settling for anything less than an auto Cpap.
Just so you know, your insurance pays the same for an Elite or an AutoSet. It's Apria who will profit, and not sure why your doctor should care.

Speak up with your doctor, ask for an Auto Cpap. You have to use this machine for a long time.

An Auto Cpap can be set to a straight Cpap pressure mode, but an Elite cannot be set to Auto.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-22-2016, 02:10 PM)OpalRose Wrote: You should not be settling for anything less than an auto Cpap.
Just so you know, your insurance pays the same for an Elite or an AutoSet. It's Apria who will profit, and not sure why your doctor should care.

Speak up with your doctor, ask for an Auto Cpap. You have to use this machine for a long time.

An Auto Cpap can be set to a straight Cpap pressure mode, but an Elite cannot be set to Auto.

My doctor doesn't care, when we met I asked him how he would write the script and he said he would normally write it generic and let the DME and me decide the machine model. I said, fine. When I went to Aprea they said their default machine was the CPAP and they could only provide a different machine if the doctor specified it. So, I came here to verify the CPAP did not collect enough data, and upon that being confirmed, I called the sleep center and asked them to ask the doctor to rewrite the script to be an elite. As for the auto, he does feel that auto is conta-indicated in my case, saying that auto is not recommended for my specific symptoms. I understand that I will be using this for a long time, but I don't mind leaving off the auto, and "tuning" it myself if and when I have to.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-22-2016, 11:47 AM)FrankNichols Wrote: I had my Titration followup meeting with the doctor today and got a prescription, it seems a regular CPAP will work for me (as opposed to BiPAP or ASV), at least that is what he is recommending we start with for the trail period. I am "stuck" using Aprea (for multiple reasons) and as such I am watching them carefully, per everyones advice here, and I am going try to make a few waves as possible in hopes things go smoothly.

Their "default" machine (if the doctor does not script for a specific model) is the ResMed AirSense 10 CPAP. As far as I can see the only difference between this and the AirSense CPAP Elite is that the Elite will detect CSR/CSA events.

1. Is that correct?

The data collected by the Elite is much better than the "CPAP."

The A10 CPAP only has nightly AHI average and leak numbers.

No indication of the time the events happened. No indication of whether you have 11 second apneas or 50 second apneas. Doesn't distinguish central from obstructive apnea. No airflow waveforms. No indication of whether you have clusters of events when you fall asleep or wake up, or if you have them uniformly during the night. No indication whether you have periods of large leak with good fit between or if you're leaking all night long.

It is better than the classic "brick" that only records on/off times. but the Elite collects much more useful data.

The "A10 CPAP" model is a bit like having a check engine on your car dashboard. The Elite is like having an engine analyzer with printouts, gauges, and oscilloscope displays. If you have any problems with your therapy, it's a lot easier to fix it if you have an Elite.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-22-2016, 03:56 PM)archangle Wrote:
(03-22-2016, 11:47 AM)FrankNichols Wrote: I had my Titration followup meeting with the doctor today and got a prescription, it seems a regular CPAP will work for me (as opposed to BiPAP or ASV), at least that is what he is recommending we start with for the trail period. I am "stuck" using Aprea (for multiple reasons) and as such I am watching them carefully, per everyones advice here, and I am going try to make a few waves as possible in hopes things go smoothly.

1. Is that correct?

The data collected by the Elite is much better than the "CPAP."

The A10 CPAP only has nightly AHI average and leak numbers.

No indication of the time the events happened. No indication of whether you have 11 second apneas or 50 second apneas. Doesn't distinguish central from obstructive apnea. No airflow waveforms. No indication of whether you have clusters of events when you fall asleep or wake up, or if you have them uniformly during the night. No indication whether you have periods of large leak with good fit between or if you're leaking all night long.

It is better than the classic "brick" that only records on/off times. but the Elite collects much more useful data.

The "A10 CPAP" model is a bit like having a check engine on your car dashboard. The Elite is like having an engine analyzer with printouts, gauges, and oscilloscope displays. If you have any problems with your therapy, it's a lot easier to fix it if you have an Elite.

Thanks, I am waiting to hear from the Doctors office (Sleep Center) on if he will script it for me. If not, I will have to decide if I want to just pay out of pocket. The AirSense line is about $800 to $900 compared to the AirCurve Line that is about $1800, compared to the ASV which is about $5000. I would prefer to have my insurance pay for it. I am also waiting for Humana to reply to a question about if I can go out of network and receive any reimbursement. I expect my $975 deductible would have to be paid before I can get any reimbursement from them. But, If I am going to use this for 5 or 10 years, I want something I will be happy with and at $800 I can afford it (barely) I would just prefer to not have to pay it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 6 469 4 hours ago
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 2 53 Yesterday, 12:27 PM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Changed to Airsense 11, few CA's Stubert 10 248 Yesterday, 05:23 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 24,924 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  Airsense 10 / Oscar clock issue. pixpop 1 76 03-15-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: pixpop
Sad Blinking Red light on my Airsense 10 machine please ? What does it mean cajones 9 11,430 03-15-2024, 02:34 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Res Med S9 Elite bikerfriend 3 72 03-14-2024, 09:41 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.