Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AirSense 10 Filter - When to Change & Loose Fibers
AirSense 10 Filter - When to Change & Loose Fibers
I have a 1 month old AirSense 10.  This is my first time on a ResMed machine after around 12 years on CPAP oddly.

1.  One month of use looks like about maybe it's 1/3 of the way through the filters useful life as a guess.   I'm just guessing though.

2.  I obviously didn't know this until looking at the pictures, but the 1 month old filter has a whole lot more random fibers sticking out on the edges.  Can those filter fibers break free and directly enter the air path?   As a general guess, I'd assume most any tiny debris in the air path would get stuck in the water tank or mouth before getting to lungs.  But, I have no idea.

Thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AirSense 10 Filter - When to Change & Loose Fibers
Filter lifespan is a function of air quality in the room, more than simply time. If there is a lot of fine airborne particulates in your bedroom/house, that would shorten the life of the filter.

An open fire or some sort of solid fuel heater anywhere in the house will dramatically degrade air quality in this way. Having windows open for long periods might do it too, if there is significant particulate 'pollution' outside.

I get around two - three months from each filter when at home (I use the fine type) but sometimes less when traveling and staying in 'dirtier' accommodation. That's based on 8hrs use per night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Particulates in the air path would not get caught in the water since the air passes over and not through the water. I suspect most would would be caught by the cilia in the bronchial tube. That's how are bodies handle fine particulates that we breath throughout the day.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks.  I'm thinking too much.  I haven't ordered a stock of supplies yet for the new machine.   With the supply chain issues, and warnings to order early for Christmas, I'm working on buying up about a years worth of supplies, just to be safe.    Also, I live in TX and (winter storm) just went through almost 3 days of no power.   I didn't have a good UPS and generator to charge a UPS in the day.   I don't want to be caught w/ my pants down again.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2021, 07:20 PM)Melman Wrote: Particulates in the air path would not get caught in the water since the air passes over and not through the water. I suspect most would would be caught by the cilia in the bronchial tube. That's how are bodies handle fine particulates that we breath throughout the day.

With everything cleaned, I found floaters in the tank of a Dreamstation, after removing the cancer foam via that coat hanger method.   I've seen where everything cleaned and dried can end up showing some kind if very tiny debris in the water tank.  That was on my mind anyway.   I assumed pulling the foam out with a coat hanger caused tiny plastic scrapings.  Plastic can adhere hard to other plastic while wet at times.   Whatever happen, I've seen some kind of particles float in a tank that most likely originated before where the air went through motor chamber. I kept the air filter on the filter port at all times while disassembling and re-assembling the machine also. Just something odd I noticed under the weird circumstances of taking a machine apart.
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting question.   I just bought a set of hypo-allergenic filters for my new AirSense 10 today.  They seem to be much less fluffy than the standard filters.    That being said, even my few days old standard filter doesn't have nearly as many fibres visible around the edges as the pictures you posted.

Here's a picture of one of the hypo-allergenic filters.

-Neelix
Post Reply Post Reply
For myself, if I saw a discolored filter such as that, I'd change it and be done. The filter is a low cost item protecting the more expensive PAP. The filter sacrifices itself to do its intended function. As is, I'd changed my filter monthly regardless of looks.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks like a pack from a CPAP supplier ends up being $0.60 per filter for the hypoallergenic name brand ones.  That's  $2.40 vs $7.20 per year.      Interesting.  $5 more a year to change the filter every month vs every three months.  

OK, you sold me. I'm cheap but not this kind of cheap.   $5 extra a year to just change your filter every month and never risk the air flow being restricted at all.  Sounds  like a good deal considering the "no thinking" aspect.
Post Reply Post Reply
Are these hypo-allergenic filters made by ResMed or by a third party?
I'm interested in buying them since I suffer from allergies.
Post Reply Post Reply
Pretty sure the ones I got were genuine ResMed filters. I was actually referred to the supplier I got them from by ResMed's customer service line, when I called to check if their local store had any in stock. That being said, I have no idea what's available in Greece, or how likely it is that the product you can get there is genuine ResMed stuff.

-Neelix
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 0 24 2 hours ago
Last Post: coffee9724
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,435 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 840 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,711 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
  Filter types vs. original for AirSense 10 fotjon 3 118 03-21-2024, 12:57 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 619 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Any change recommendations to machine? NativTxn 2 319 02-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NativTxn

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.