Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AirSense 10 For Her for a Guy
AirSense 10 For Her for a Guy
I have a loaner "ResMed AirSense 10 for Her" machine for a 90 day trial. I'm a guy, but they said it didn't really matter. Thanks to a Youtube video I ventured into the Clinical Settings menu and discovered that the Therapy mode is "AutoSense for Her" - the other options are AutoSense or CPAP.

My doctor wants me on APAP for the time being, presumably to see how to set up a CPAP down the road.

Should I be concerned about that setting? If I ask them about it I'll be admitting I more or less hacked their loaner.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AirSense 10 For Her for a Guy
the "for her" algorithm is "gentler" at pressures below 12cmh2o. above that it reverts to the regular algorithm. It is meant to deal better with the type of apnea women have.... a regular cpap is not going to act quite the same at the same pressures, so it's probably not the best test, but the "for her" machine is the best one to have since if that algorithm suits you best, it's available. The gender differentiation is a statistical thing. Woman are more likely to experience apnea one way and men more likely another - but less likely in either case is not a never. Smile
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-12-2016, 06:34 PM)DariaVader Wrote: the "for her" algorithm is "gentler" at pressures below 12cmh2o. above that it reverts to the regular algorithm. It is meant to deal better with the type of apnea women have.... a regular cpap is not going to act quite the same at the same pressures, so it's probably not the best test, but the "for her" machine is the best one to have since if that algorithm suits you best, it's available. The gender differentiation is a statistical thing. Woman are more likely to experience apnea one way and men more likely another - but less likely in either case is not a never. Smile

My AirSense AutoSet has two settings in the clinical menu under "Response," and the choices are: "Standard" and "Soft."

Quote:"ResMed’s AutoSet algorithm now allows for additional customisation of therapy with the new AutoSet Response mode, which offers all the benefits of the enhanced AutoSet algorithm with gentler pressure increases for additional comfort."

For patients who are sensitive to faster changes in pressure during therapy, AutoSet Response can be set to either Standard or Soft. If set to soft, patients will receive gentler pressure rises during therapy.

Here is what ResMed has to say about "Algorithms."
Quote:"Research has shown that women with OSA have more upper airway resistance and flow limitation than the general OSA population1, which is why the AutoSet for Her algorithm has been designed to be more sensitive to flow limitation.

In addition, the algorithm provides more subtle changes in therapy pressure to minimize sleep disturbance. The AutoSet for Her algorithm also automatically adjusts the minimum AutoSet pressure if multiple apneas are occurring below a certain threshold."

Don't worry too much about changing parameters because most physicians never notice unless you are being titrated for a particular response. Do the changes in small increments and keep track of how you feel and your numbers using #SleepyHead which is superior to ResMed's ResScan as it is more intuitive and easier to use.

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
"For Her" is closer to using a Respironics auto CPAP than the standard Resmed. It would be great to see the same person compare the standard and soft algorithm side-by-side. We'd learn from it.

AC110, the best thing you can do for yourself is just be aware of how you feel and to use #SleepyHead to monitor events and pressure changes. Usually an auto CPAP is delivered at the default minimum pressure of 4.0 and maximum of 20.0. It should not take long to narrow down what your really need and avoid some of that pressure fluctuation. Whether you use soft or normal; or use EPR or not is mostly comfort in most cases.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 613 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Need Input on AirSense 10 vs AirSense 11 b4 Ordering New CPAP mdmarmd 13 2,183 01-14-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: scowell
  [Equipment] Need help choosing between Airsense 10 C2C or regular Airsense 10/11 dabrat76 10 1,625 03-16-2023, 08:20 AM
Last Post: dabrat76
  Airsense 11: SmartStart is Off, but Airsense keeps turning on by itself kklein 4 3,485 03-09-2023, 08:34 PM
Last Post: kklein
  DOWNLOADING DATA FROM AIRSENSE 10 to AIRSENSE 11 Sleepyguy39 1 1,114 10-21-2022, 07:24 PM
Last Post: pholynyk
Question [CPAP] Airsense 10 without wireless vs Airsense 11 sleepysurgeon 12 3,408 07-14-2022, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Horseshoez
  Wait for ResMed AirSense 11? Or buy AirSense 10 now? dk2011 25 19,748 01-24-2022, 10:54 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.