Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AirSense 10 for her questions
AirSense 10 for her questions
Hello all,

I have recently been diagnosed with very severe sleep apnea (AHI 64) and started using my AirSense 10 for her. I have only used it for one night but could not sleep very well. I am okay with the pressure, but not the mask. I will continue using it, of course, as I understand that it is important. I just hope I will get used to it. However, I am extremely tired because I've only gotten a couple of hours of sleep with this device, and I don't anticipate getting a good night's sleep anytime in the next several days since it takes me a LONG time to get used to new places, devices, etc.

My question is this: When I look at the report it says my AHI is 1.3. Does that mean it's my new AHI with the treatment for that one specific night?

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AirSense 10 for her questions
(11-26-2015, 08:46 PM)Sleepless12 Wrote: Hello all,

I have recently been diagnosed with very severe sleep apnea (AHI 64) and started using my AirSense 10 for her. I have only used it for one night but could not sleep very well. I am okay with the pressure, but not the mask. I will continue using it, of course, as I understand that it is important. I just hope I will get used to it. However, I am extremely tired because I've only gotten a couple of hours of sleep with this device, and I don't anticipate getting a good night's sleep anytime in the next several days since it takes me a LONG time to get used to new places, devices, etc.

My question is this: When I look at the report it says my AHI is 1.3. Does that mean it's my new AHI with the treatment for that one specific night?
Welcome
As long as the report period is set to 1 night, then, yes, that's what it means.

Would you kindly fill in the profile of your equipment and setup to the best of your knowledge. For example, what type of mask do you have?

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2015, 08:46 PM)Sleepless12 Wrote: However, I am extremely tired because I've only gotten a couple of hours of sleep with this device, and I don't anticipate getting a good night's sleep anytime in the next several days since it takes me a LONG time to get used to new places, devices, etc.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Try use the machine during the day while watching TV or even taking a nap, will helps you getting used to the machine sooner

Events per hour shown at the top of the sleep report is AHI for last night
The AHI further down the sleep report is AHI for the period selected, you'll set the period to '1 Day' (default 1 month)

AHI 1.3 is good results but you'll need to get more than 2 hours of sleep, but things do get better with patience and perseverance

Happy thanksgiving http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ne-and-all
Post Reply Post Reply
I've noticed that my A10 report period is set to a month. I thought I was looking at my nightly AHI numbers or is it a combined average due to the setting being a month??
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
The numbers shown at the top of the sleep report are for the current day; the numbers shown below the period setting are the averages for the selected period. I generally set the period to 1 day, although it defaults to 30 days after turning it on or if there is a power failure.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK thanks. I wasn't sure whether to change it from 30 days to 1 as I am still in my loaner machine stage and didn't want to skew any results. Sounds like it won't change any data results.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sleepless12! I'm going to ask this question because it was the key to allowing me to sleep through the night with it. You said you were "OK with the pressure", but do you ever find yourself fighting the need to breathe in very deep breaths, feeling a resistance on your intake breaths (ie it actually feels like you're breathing through a tube), or taking off the mask to "get a breath of fresh air"? If yes, you might want to consider actually increasing the minimum pressure until breathing feels nearly effortless and almost natural (I say almost because you will notice the pressure a little more at the end of your inhale, but it's what it feels like during the inhale that's most important). They started my sleep study with a pressure of 4 and it felt like I had a SCUBA mask on. I had to rip it off once just to breathe. They ended up recommending a setting of 8 after the meager 2 hours I slept that night, but after a week of playing around I found I felt most comfortable with a minimum setting of nearly 10. I'd also try setting your EPR to 3 to if it's not already. Once I did this I slept -much- better. Generally the recommendation is not to change settings daily since you need an average baseline, but for me that would apply more towards bringing your AHI numbers down once you're actually asleep, not matters of comfort and being able to fall asleep. Being able to fall asleep while using the machine is paramount.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-28-2015, 09:03 AM)StoopidMonkey81 Wrote: Hi Sleepless12! I'm going to ask this question because it was the key to allowing me to sleep through the night with it. You said you were "OK with the pressure", but do you ever find yourself fighting the need to breathe in very deep breaths, feeling a resistance on your intake breaths (ie it actually feels like you're breathing through a tube), or taking off the mask to "get a breath of fresh air"? If yes, you might want to consider actually increasing the minimum pressure until breathing feels nearly effortless and almost natural (I say almost because you will notice the pressure a little more at the end of your inhale, but it's what it feels like during the inhale that's most important). They started my sleep study with a pressure of 4 and it felt like I had a SCUBA mask on. I had to rip it off once just to breathe. They ended up recommending a setting of 8 after the meager 2 hours I slept that night, but after a week of playing around I found I felt most comfortable with a minimum setting of nearly 10. I'd also try setting your EPR to 3 to if it's not already. Once I did this I slept -much- better. Generally the recommendation is not to change settings daily since you need an average baseline, but for me that would apply more towards bringing your AHI numbers down once you're actually asleep, not matters of comfort and being able to fall asleep. Being able to fall asleep while using the machine is paramount.

I feel okay with the pressure of 4 that they set. I do not feel like I have trouble breathing. In fact, it feels quite natural. I think the problem is the actual mask itself. I am a very light sleeper and I have trouble sleeping with foreign objects on or around me. I've alwasy had this problem and have never been able to adapt. It is one reason I get very little sleep on vacations, even if I am extremely tired.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-28-2015, 07:12 AM)pholynyk Wrote: The numbers shown at the top of the sleep report are for the current day; the numbers shown below the period setting are the averages for the selected period. I generally set the period to 1 day, although it defaults to 30 days after turning it on or if there is a power failure.

So, when it says AHI (events per hour) is 3.8 and the AHI below the period setting says 1.8, it means for the current day I had 3.8 events but the average so far for the 1 week (my current period setting) is 1.8?
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes. It would seem so.

Why are you using a FFM? Did you try something less obtrusive first such as nasal pillows?
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 147 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 267 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 613 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Airsense 10 Respond Questions SheShells23 12 460 03-11-2024, 09:06 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 258 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 307 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Input on AirSense 10 vs AirSense 11 b4 Ordering New CPAP mdmarmd 13 2,183 01-14-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: scowell

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.