Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue
AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue
I have a new AirSense 10 that is 2 months old.   No matter what mask I wear, and no matter what parts I replace (water tank, seals, hose, etc.), there is always a base line leak rate floor of between about 2.5 to 13.

For example, two nights ago I was wearing a P10 mask.   The baseline leak rate floor was 2.4.    Today with the same (new mask), and where there are no leaks anywhere that I can feel, the leak rate floor is static at 10 to 12 (depending on test).    This includes the fact that while testing I thoroughly cleaned hose, water tank, mask, etc (sink filled with warm water and soap, rubbed down all parts and connections with a pad).    Pressure range tests (4 though 20) make almost no difference at all.   I even did tests to check the leak rate with an empty water tank vs a full water tank (no difference of course).

I'm going a bit bonkers trying to figure this out.   No matter what day it is (randomly) and no matter what I clean well, or what part I replace, there is always a baseline leak rate floor of 2.4 to 13 (with a 10 being the normal day to day average base leak rate).   Also, through years of using Dreamstations, I always had a baseline leak rate of 0.   I'm out of ideas for anything new to try at this point.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue
Make certain all your connections, hose, mask, humidifier, are solidly seated in place. Try that first then look at the humidifier donut seals, holes in the hose, etc.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well this is interesting.   I just tried a short test.   Then I switched out the water tank with an old one (tiny improvement maybe).   Then I put the newer water tank back in and there was a big improvement on that re-seating.   Then, I tried a full face mask (from a P10 on the first 2 tests), and the full face mask had almost the same base leak rate as the pillow mask, after the reseating of the newer tank.

I've changed both the seals on the machine also.    So weird. I never once had a leak problem on a Dreamstation and never once changed any part (after years of use).

Thanks, I'm going to keep trying to figure this out.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
OK interesting (yippee).   

With a full face mask still attached, I removed the removable seal and thoroughly wiped it down with a mask wipe.   I also wiped down the inlet port seal (that I don't think is removable or changeable).   Then I did 4 tests where between each test I removed the water chamber and pressed it back in.    3 of the 4 tests showed a zero leak rate period, with the first and last test being the best.    What's interesting is the 2nd test had a baseline of 4 (just from that 1 out of 4 random chamber insertion).

It's much more relaxing knowing exactly what the problem is now.  But, what else could I possibly try to make this less of a problem?

Post Reply Post Reply
Hmmmm... I have this problem where I get a really loud squeal, which I can make go away by pushing the water chamber in really hard. I can't detect any movement at all, but the squeal stops. Sometimes that doesn't do it and I have to pull the tub out and almost slam it back in.

This didn't start until about 6 years in, though, and I have chalked it up to some slight deterioration in the seal(s). Maybe you have a seal that's kind of flakey from day zero? But also my experience is leak=noise -- and a LOT of noise. I'm puzzled that you are seeing the leaks in the data and not hearing them?
Post Reply Post Reply
Right, nothing seems wrong with the noise level of the machine to me.   I don't normally use a full face mask, but left one on last night.    The last water chamber reseat I made showed a zero baseline leak rate.  At the very least, I was happy to see that the zero leak rate baseline actually held all night last night.     All from just removing and reseating the (2 week old) new seal and the random nature of one of those 4 water chamber inserts afterwards.

I'm super happy I understand what's going on now though.

Post Reply Post Reply
I also have an Airsense 10 and can't get my leak rate below 7L/min. I'm using Bleep Dreamports too which don't leak at all. Can't figure it out. I use mouth tape as well. I even tried mouth tape + chin strap last night and still had a 7/min leak rate.

Could it be the machine itself? I took out the water chamber and put it back in. No difference.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 7 91 8 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Weird O2ring issue cps22 0 41 Yesterday, 11:48 AM
Last Post: cps22
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 38 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 243 03-27-2024, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 106 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 117 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 861 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.